Post Pill Cycles

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So a delightful new pms symptom (I’m assuming, or I’ve lost my mind) I’m having since being off the pill is that the past 2 days I am the most needy human alive.

If my husband doesn’t respond to my (very mundane) questions incredibly positively, I pretty much have an emotional meltdown and accuse him of no longer loving me. He’s having a great time 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Ok this is weird but yesterday I felt a random twinge in one side, it only lasted a few seconds and seemed to come out of now where. I then looked on Clue and it was saying that yesterday was my “possible ovulation” day! I’m sure I’m reading too much into it, but how cool if not only I ovulated on the exact day it says I would... but also that I can feel the ovulation. I guess time will tell if I also get my period right on cue... is the length of time between ovulation and period always the same? Or does it differ for everyone?

Ok this is weird but yesterday I felt a random twinge in one side, it only lasted a few seconds and seemed to come out of now where. I then looked on Clue and it was saying that yesterday was my “possible ovulation” day! I’m sure I’m reading too much into it, but how cool if not only I ovulated on the exact day it says I would... but also that I can feel the ovulation. I guess time will tell if I also get my period right on cue... is the length of time between ovulation and period always the same? Or does it differ for everyone?
Everyone is different but I think usually your personal luteal phase (time between ovulation and your period) stays mostly the same. So if this time it’s 14 days, it should be about that next time too.

The phase before ovulation can vary though from what I’ve read. I didn’t feel ovulation but I had very period esq cramps at the time (I know I ovulated from ovulation tests and temperature tracking though). Some people say they feel like a ‘pop’ sensation.

I also get the ovulation pain as well. I used to get it before the pill. I can definitely pin point exactly when I’m ovulating because of it.

Just if anyone is coming off marvelon and interested in my experience of my first cycle and how long things took and what I noticed.

Took my last pill on 11th April 2021, had my withdrawal bleed on 14th April and had a 44 day cycle - ovulated on day 32. Got my first ‘real’ period on 28th May.

It felt like it took forever but I think was probably quite average from what I’ve read online. Hoping it will regulate now but we will see.

Day 1-32 (pre ovulation), I noticed I had so much more energy and I also felt like I was a lot less snappy with my husband (he too commented on this). My appetite decreased and just generally felt a lot better. I did however get thrush for the first time in over 10 years, I’m guessing due to hormonal changes. Had some ovulation cramping.

Post ovulation I went back to feeling how I used to on the pill, pretty lethargic, craved junk - I also spotted for 2 days and had strong back pain and cramps before my period which I never had before - usually only during (I’m hoping this was just the once.) Also the bloating in the second part of my cycle was like nothing I have experienced before - it went as soon as my period started but I was 7 pounds heavier just in bloat. I’m not looking forward to that every month. I was very needy for a couple of days too and definitely snappier during my pms than I have ever been! I basically told my husband I hated him yesterday because he forgot to wear his new shoes 🥴 I’m a keeper.

Thoughout the cycle my hair has been noticeably greasier than when I was on the pill and I have vivid dreams almost every night now which I never had before. Skin has been good and a lot brighter, I only broke out on my chin the day my period started which is standard for me.

So yes, overall I think it’s a positive experience so far and would do it again even if we weren’t TTC!

I caved in the end and went back onto the pill. I couldn't tolerate the libido/grease and grease 🤣. I'll try again to come off in the future...

I'm now just over a year off my pill.

I'm still getting huge amounts of spots that are leaving scars, and my skin is very greasy. I've put on a huge amount of weight that I can't shift. My anxiety is much improved but it has been replaced by constant sadness and I'm ridiculously grouchy, like I almost constantly want to cry or scream or hit something and absolutely everything annoys me all the time, it's affecting my work and my relationships because I just can't stand being around anyone. I absolutely hate who I am now and my vulva skin hasn't gone back to normal, it constantly feels irritated (only on the outer skin and bikini line) like I've got thrush or psoriasis, but I don't. I also get loads of headaches when I don't think I've ever had a headache in my life before.

I'm going to go back on, this is not for me. It's like I've got all the downsides and none of the positives.

I'm now just over a year off my pill.

I'm still getting huge amounts of spots that are leaving scars, and my skin is very greasy. I've put on a huge amount of weight that I can't shift. My anxiety is much improved but it has been replaced by constant sadness and I'm ridiculously grouchy, like I almost constantly want to cry or scream or hit something and absolutely everything annoys me all the time, it's affecting my work and my relationships because I just can't stand being around anyone. I absolutely hate who I am now and my vulva skin hasn't gone back to normal, it constantly feels irritated (only on the outer skin and bikini line) like I've got thrush or psoriasis, but I don't. I also get loads of headaches when I don't think I've ever had a headache in my life before.

I'm going to go back on, this is not for me. It's like I've got all the downsides and none of the positives.
That definitely doesn’t sound right! Have you had your hormone levels checked? Acne and weight gain could be a sign of PCOS. Also what do you mean with your vulva skin - have you been tested for STIs and BV/Thrush, it could be something you’re not quite shifting. Also you may be allergic to washing powders or certain fabrics which could lead to irritation to the sensitive skin.

That definitely doesn’t sound right! Have you had your hormone levels checked? Acne and weight gain could be a sign of PCOS. Also what do you mean with your vulva skin - have you been tested for STIs and BV/Thrush, it could be something you’re not quite shifting. Also you may be allergic to washing powders or certain fabrics which could lead to irritation to the sensitive skin.
The vulva skin thing is hard to describe but it's almost definitely hormone related - it peaks with my cycle hormones almost exactly and disappears during my period. It's like the skin on my pubic region is suddenly really sensitive to touch, and my bikini line gets irritated. It's like cyclic inflammation? There's no involvement of the 'internal' parts at all.

I'd considered PCOS but I didn't know if there were 'mild' versions of it, as I've not had excessive hair, or hair loss. I know people with PCOS suffer an awful lot and I didn't think my experience was near that. Now I come to think of it though, apparently insulin resistance and PCOS are a common combination and a symptom of insulin resistance can be...vulva irritation...hmmm...

83 days later and I’ve started my first post-pill period! Is it strange that I feel relieved? 😂 I’d not noticed any major changes until last two weeks or so when my skin has started to go very oily, I’ve developed spots all over my back and chest which I’ve never had before and some really painful ones on my forehead especially around my eyebrows. I’m hoping that now my period had arrived things will be on the up and my skin will improve but it’s still early days yet. For the last 3 days I’ve felt really low, irritable and self critical and have generally being driving my bf mad with my rollercoaster of emotions. I’ve got period pains but no different in terms of pain levels than when I was on the pill. I just wanted to end this post with some recommendations that have helped me and might help someone else who is going through the no-pill journey. I posted some makeup recommendations earlier on in the thread and I’m still using them, but for the spots on my back/chest I’ve bought the Murad clarifying body spray. It’s not cheap but the bottle is pretty big and you can buy it from places that offer discounts like Look Fantastic, I actually got mine from Asos when they had 20% off. I also like that it’s 360° sprayer so you can spray your own back 😂. It stings a bit but I can see an improvement already, maybe not recommended to use every day if you have sensitive skin though the bottle states it can be used up to three times a day (!). The other recommendation is the BeYou patches. I honestly thought these were an expensive gimmick when I saw them but I got a discounted pack and have since ordered a subscription of them. I suffer with bad period pain and have prescribed mefanamic acid from the doctors which I’ve been taking since before I started the pill. Coupled with paracetamol and a heat patch, this would make my period pain bearable but with those patches I don’t need to take the mefanamic acid as often, the odd paracetamol for when it’s really bad is fine and no more burnt stomach from heat patches! ☺ Hope everyone’s getting on okay in their journey, I like how this is a safe space to chat and it’s good to hear input from a range of people.

Reactions: 1
Got my second real period today, 28 day cycle since my last, 12 days since I felt random pain that could have been ovulation pain! I find it so interesting how it all links together. Just for update though I’m still greasy, moody and fat 😂

Reactions: 3
I'm coming off my pill (Cilest) from today. I was due to start a new strip but I'm not taking it. Been on the pill since I was 16, so 12 years. Just feel my body needs a break!

Reactions: 4
I’m 2 days without the pill (excluding 7 day break) and I’m having the most intense headaches! Is this a side effect?

I’m 2 days without the pill (excluding 7 day break) and I’m having the most intense headaches! Is this a side effect?
I think so - I had this for about 9 days after my 7 day break. I put it down to withdrawal from the hormones as I wasn’t getting them from the pill but my body probably wasn’t creating them on their own at the required level yet either. It went away about cycle day 17.

Reactions: 2
Ok has anyone else experienced this. For the past 2 cycles around the same time (just before ovulation I think) I’ve had about 3 or 4 days where I cannot STAND my partner. However what is worrying is that I seem to notice other men a lot more/think about other guys. Even guys that I’m mates with or work with that I have never thought about in that way, suddenly now everyone’s a bloody option according to my brain 😂 Oh except my partner apparently! I’m worried I just don’t want to be with him anymore and my feelings were repressed by the pill for so long- I know it can alter who you’re attracted to:confused:

Ok has anyone else experienced this. For the past 2 cycles around the same time (just before ovulation I think) I’ve had about 3 or 4 days where I cannot STAND my partner. However what is worrying is that I seem to notice other men a lot more/think about other guys. Even guys that I’m mates with or work with that I have never thought about in that way, suddenly now everyone’s a bloody option according to my brain 😂 Oh except my partner apparently! I’m worried I just don’t want to be with him anymore and my feelings were repressed by the pill for so long- I know it can alter who you’re attracted to:confused:
I get the absolute rage towards my partner in the days before my period, and well, tmi but in the days before I ovulate I can barely function because I'm daydreaming about shagging fantasy men.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Ever since I came off the implant last august I’m horny alll the time haha and every guy I’m like 👀 I feel terrible

Ever since I came off the implant last august I’m horny alll the time haha and every guy I’m like 👀 I feel terrible
Haha I wouldn’t mind if any of this was directed to my partner, but it’s not (I’m not gonna cheat on him obviously!)

Haha I wouldn’t mind if any of this was directed to my partner, but it’s not (I’m not gonna cheat on him obviously!)
I also wonder (not that I’ve noticed haha) if coming off the implant can effect how other people look at you? Like when you start ovulating again after coming off BC you give out chemical signals that say you’re fertile, I’d be soo curious to know haha