Popular expressions/words that need to be banned.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
ISO got me good.
Thanks for choosing me to be your mum.
Welcome earthside.
Happy 7 trips around the sun
Wifey, hubby, my big bubba(referring to an adult)
Gawjus, just use a dictionary idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can’t stand it when people end sentences with ‘or...?’ as in, “Are you going to be free later or...?” “Shall I come round at 8 or...?” OR WHAT?!? I even get it in texts from one odious person. It really annoys me and I can’t leave it, I have to tell them to stop.

Reactions: 1
"Only an idiot would disagree with me when I say ............." or variation on that opening statement pees me off.

Reactions: 5
Both of these wind me up.
When his/he’s is misused the other way round too.... ‘he loves he’s nan’ 😡
No! There’s this girl on my Facebook and EVERYTHING is wrong, then instead of than, I’m so tried (meaning tired), what instead of want, I what a sandwich wtf?! His really tried (he’s really tired) 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
No! There’s this girl on my Facebook and EVERYTHING is wrong, then instead of than, I’m so tried (meaning tired), what instead of want, I what a sandwich wtf?! His really tried (he’s really tired) 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
I understand how annoying that is, and stuff like that winds me up too but I wonder if maybe they are dyslexic? And can’t help getting words and spellings mixed up?

Reactions: 2
I understand how annoying that is, and stuff like that winds me up too but I wonder if maybe they are dyslexic? And can’t help getting words and spellings mixed up?
I thought that too but a few people have insisted ‘no it’s should OF’ and they carry on saying it’s a regional accent, what a bizarre theory. I understand some accents say ‘me’ when they mean ‘my’ but they know the correct spelling is my. Even one girl I know says and writes ‘praptice’ for practise/practice and she honestly think it is pronounced with a p!

Reactions: 3
On Twitter...
Twitter do your thing
Share the hell out of this. You can only rt something once what does that mean?

• Heart
"Only an idiot would disagree with me when I say ............." or variation on that opening statement pees me off.
People..over the.....past few years,who ... have started. ... using.. ...these instead of, .punctuation the way it should be used. Generally goes hand in hand with your/you’re, their/there/they’re, pacifically........ and the rest 🤯🥴

People..over the.....past few years,who ... have started. ... using.. ...these instead of, .punctuation the way it should be used. Generally goes hand in hand with your/you’re, their/there/they’re, pacifically........ and the rest 🤯🥴
Or People Who Type Like This On Social Media. It Must Take Hours To Write A Message And It Looks Ridiculous too.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Using the ellipsis is fine

"What does the 3 full stops mean?
The ellipsis, …, (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short'), also known informally as dot-dot-dot, is a series of (usually three) dots that indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
"

The English lexicon is changing, its been in a state of flux since day one and to a degree its the same for grammar. The main thing to remember is that if you can understand whats being conveyed in a message then the language used has worked and done its job.

One thing positive thing about the social media explosion is people are putting pen to paper (fingers to keyboard) more now than in many years so thats not a bad thing. A lot of the content is not always great but at least people are expressing themselves.

Reactions: 2

The ellipsis, …, (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short'), also known informally as dot-dot-dot, is a series of (usually three) dots that indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
"

The English lexicon is changing, its been in a state of flux since day one and to a degree its the same for grammar. The main thing to remember is that if you can understand whats being conveyed in a message then the language used has worked and done its job.

One thing positive thing about the social media explosion is people are putting pen to paper (fingers to keyboard) more now than in many years so thats not a bad thing. A lot of the content is not always great but at least people are expressing themselves.
Yeah, most people know what ellipsis are, it’s the misuse of them that’s galling.

Reactions: 4

"

I didn’t use the ellipsis correctly once in my post (so none of them are technically ellipses). I don’t necessarily agree that people writing, by any means, is beneficial. I really don’t remember seeing as poor grammar as in the past 5 years or so. I’m early 30s so it’s not generations away from me. IMO a lot of people feel validated in their errors and low standards, and it has normalised in certain pockets of society. It’s en par with people not being able to count up in their heads and not able to tell the time on an analogue clock, both which are realities in under 20s in particular nowadays unfortunately. It’s not about people having genuine issues or making mistakes, it’s about these low standards becoming “the new normal”, along with all the infuriating statements < see what I did there 🤪😏👆🏼

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.