Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have some cornflower and sunflower seeds growing on my windowsill, hopefully can pot them on end of next week x

Reactions: 5
I follow this adorable man on Instagram Gerald Stratford....he LOVES his garden and posts his veggies all the time....he's so proud of them and look so cute with his smiley face.

Reactions: 1
Lovely pots and bench! It’s a good day for gardening.

@SpindleWhorl , out of interest do you save your tulip bulbs and re plant at end of the year? I always throw mine but this year thought I might save them and try it.
I only have a courtyard garden so everything in pots, I throw mine away as I have limited space and would like to try a new colour or type each year. Plus I only buy cheap bulbs from Lidl or B&M

Reactions: 2
I’m going to save my tulips this year, I bought more expensive ones & had a lovely display - seems quite wasteful to just throw them out.

Reactions: 5
I’m going to save my tulips this year, I bought more expensive ones & had a lovely display - seems quite wasteful to just throw them out.
I wouldn’t throw them out either.
My Dad had loads of bulbs in pots which I inherited. Last Autumn I planted loads in my garden and they look lovely. Not all flowered but the majority did and it makes me so happy so see them.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Really going for it on the veg this year, filled my little Green house and bought a small wooden one from Aldi must say I'm rather impressed.

I always buy a box of the butterflies and bees seeds from poundland and sprinkle it in the bare areas, get a lovely mix of colours/flowers.

Some wild garlic has found its way in to the garden, I'd like to cook with it but have zero clue. Has anyone tried any recipes please?

Reactions: 4
I planted my potted tulips into the raised beds last year and they came up bigger and better than the first display. A couple havent made it but they are definitely worth trying.

Just bought myself a wisteria and fig tree with my birthday vouchers. Need to sort out supports and a place for the wisteria…

Really going for it on the veg this year, filled my little Green house and bought a small wooden one from Aldi must say I'm rather impressed.

I always buy a box of the butterflies and bees seeds from poundland and sprinkle it in the bare areas, get a lovely mix of colours/flowers.

Some wild garlic has found its way in to the garden, I'd like to cook with it but have zero clue. Has anyone tried any recipes please?
I think wild garlic pesto is popular. I’d sauté in butter then put it on some sourdough toast with a poached egg as a spinach substitute.

Reactions: 4

I've seen recipes for wild garlic and cheese scones before.

Had a few hours in the greenhouse today.
I pinched out my Sweet Peas and then I thought, rather than discarding the shoots, I’d try to see if they’d work as cuttings. So I dug out my Hydropod and popped them in there. I’ve no idea if they are big enough to root but thought I’d nothing to lose.
I also took cuttings of Fuchsia, Nemesia, Chrysanth, Hydrangea and Delphinium. I think it may be a tad early for some of them but thought I may as well fill the Hydropod seeing as it was on.
Not sure if I‘ve done the Delphinium cutting correctly because I’ve never tried it before so we shall see.
Cut off the spent tulip and Daffodil flower heads in the garden so that the goodness goes into the bulbs for next year.
Planted some Crocosmia bulbs in pots. Never grown them before so hopefully they’ll grow and I can plant them out in the borders later.
Also did a general tidy up of the greenhouse to make some more room.
All in all, a good day.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Had a few hours in the greenhouse today.
I pinched out my Sweet Peas and then I thought, rather than discarding the shoots, I’d try to see if they’d work as cuttings. So I dug out my Hydropod and popped them in there. I’ve no idea if they are big enough to root but thought I’d nothing to lose.
I also took cuttings of Fuchsia, Nemesia, Chrysanth, Hydrangea and Delphinium. I think it may be a tad early for some of them but thought I may as well fill the Hydropod seeing as it was on.
Not sure if I‘ve done the Delphinium cutting correctly because I’ve never tried it before so we shall see.
Cut off the spent tulip and Daffodil flower heads in the garden so that the goodness goes into the bulbs for next year.
Planted some Crocosmia bulbs in pots. Never grown them before so hopefully they’ll grow and I can plant them out in the borders later.
Also did a general tidy up of the greenhouse to make some more room.
All in all, a good day.
Let us know how you get on. . I have never heard of a hydropod. I have lots of jars around my window sills with cuttings in. I bung everything in them, some don't do anything but most do.

I am hoping to get my baskets and pots planted up today, I didn't do anything yesterday but jet washed the day before

Still trying to get a handyman to do my arbour privacy fence so next door is shut out of my garden.

Who would have thought getting a handyman would be so difficult, pm two yesterday morning neither has read the messagies

Reactions: 3
Let us know how you get on. . I have never heard of a hydropod. I have lots of jars around my window sills with cuttings in. I bung everything in them, some don't do anything but most do.

I am hoping to get my baskets and pots planted up today, I didn't do anything yesterday but jet washed the day before

Still trying to get a handyman to do my arbour privacy fence so next door is shut out of my garden.

Who would have thought getting a handyman would be so difficult, pm two yesterday morning neither has read the messagies
I only bought my Hydropod last year so I’m still learning. I bought it because I wanted some plants from my Dad’s garden before we sold his house and obviously I couldn’t dig them all up so I thought I’d try some cuttings. This seemed to have a higher success rate than the usual way of propagating.
I had success with 2 of his roses, hydrangea, penstemon, pelargoniums, dahlias and chrysanthemum. His phlox and fig cuttings didn’t take but overall I was happy with those that did. Tbh it was the wrong time of year to take fig cuttings but I had no choice.
It’s not a cheap bit of kit but I’m hoping to multiply lots of my current plants so hopefully it’ll be worth it. It’s all trial and error at the moment. 😬

Did you get your baskets and pots done today?

I only bought my Hydropod last year so I’m still learning. I bought it because I wanted some plants from my Dad’s garden before we sold his house and obviously I couldn’t dig them all up so I thought I’d try some cuttings. This seemed to have a higher success rate than the usual way of propagating.
I had success with 2 of his roses, hydrangea, penstemon, pelargoniums, dahlias and chrysanthemum. His phlox and fig cuttings didn’t take but overall I was happy with those that did. Tbh it was the wrong time of year to take fig cuttings but I had no choice.
It’s not a cheap bit of kit but I’m hoping to multiply lots of my current plants so hopefully it’ll be worth it. It’s all trial and error at the moment. 😬

Did you get your baskets and pots done today?
Sounds great. I will look for a 2nd hand one during the winter. might leave me room on my window ledges for actual plants 🤣

I got a few done. My head isn't in the right place though. normally whiz through them.

Sounds great. I will look for a 2nd hand one during the winter. might leave me room on my window ledges for actual plants 🤣

I got a few done. My head isn't in the right place though. normally whiz through them.
I know what you mean. I have to be in the mood for gardening because when I’m not it becomes a chore.
I’ll update you on how my cutting are doing. 🤞🏻

Potted on my Zinnia seedlings but they’ve keeled over in shock so fingers crossed they perk up by morning! 😬
Removed a very old, very large rose bush because it was here when we moved in years ago and it was just too big for where it was. Weeded the border.
Planted a Cronus and some Foxgloves and Hollyhocks in it’s place.
Dismantled some of the greenhouse staging to make room for the tomato plants.
Put tomato plants in final, large pots in greenhouse.
Moved pelargoniums (geraniums) from the greenhouse to the cold frame to acclimatise them so I can plant them out next week.
Doesn’t sound like much but I was out there hours and my aches confirm that!
Heard a cuckoo too which we’d never heard here before.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@50sGirl that sounds like a productive day!! Hopefully your Zinnias will survive.
I’ve never grown them before so we shall see. 😬
I’ve sown a lot of annual flowers this year so that there will (hopefully) be enough for me to pick for vases too.

What‘s everyone else been up to? 🌸🌼🌻

I have sown some sunflowers, foxgloves, lupins. Checked them today and they are looking good, I need to pot them onto something bigger before they are hardy enough to go in the ground. I think the rest of my bulbs need taking out of the pots too and replaced with some bedding plants. Last year I got a half whisky barrel but never used it, planted it up last week with a new David Austin shrub and added one form last year . They are doing well already.
Never did I think when I was younger that I would enjoy the garden as much as I do. I’m no expert but will give it a go and see what happens

I potted up some cornflower seedlings into a big pot outside but I think the slugs have got to them? I hope they revive. Also planted a Rose shrub into a big pot last week but it hasn't done anything yet