Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love homegrown tomatoes, no shop bought ones compare.
Which varieties are you growing?
to be honest i asked for the best ones for a balcony when i was getting the seeds, i think they were called apple tomatoes or something like that! i also have some cherry tomatoes 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Has anyone had any problems with aphids this year? My courgettes and potatoes have quite a few on some of the flowers. I’ve tried a drop of washing up liquid with water sprayed on them but this didn’t work when my lupins were invaded by them a couple of years ago, so I’m not feeling too optimistic.

Any tips?

Reactions: 1
Wow you are all doing so well.

I have had loads of strawberries and more to come. My raspberries are waiting to ripen.

I have harvested my first broad beans and peas.

My potatoes only produced 4 flowers so i wonder what is going on down there.

My tomatoes are only just starting to flower.

The slugs took out most of the lettuce.

Onions and carrots in one bed going strong and the garlic in the opposite bed coming along nicely.

No sign of red or black currants!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone had any problems with aphids this year? My courgettes and potatoes have quite a few on some of the flowers. I’ve tried a drop of washing up liquid with water sprayed on them but this didn’t work when my lupins were invaded by them a couple of years ago, so I’m not feeling too optimistic.

Any tips?

I've just made a mix of washing up liquid and olive/veg oil. I then dilute it and spray it on and it has really made a big difference (to pumpkins and succulents so I understand not exactly the same).

20220604_184226.jpg

these are the banana trees in my bf's dad's garden - no signs of bananas yet though! 🍌

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
omg this is so beautiful. i love how banana leaves look 🍌
I thought they were a kind of palm tree at first. Tbh, his Dad has the coolest garden with lots of interesting plants and flowers. Apparently, they do get small bananas but they're v difficult to maintain as it's not the perfect climate for them all year round!

• Heart

Any tips?
I’ve heard diluted Neem oil is supposed to help. I think I saw it on Beechgrove. She made a washing up liquid and Neem oil mix diluted with water and sprayed it like an insecticide. She said it doesn’t smell very nice though.

It's a bit cooler where I am so things are a bit behind. Potatoes and courgettes have flowered and tomatoes just have little buds so far. My beans are coming on ok but the snails had a feast 😩

• Sad
I’ve heard diluted Neem oil is supposed to help. I think I saw it on Beechgrove. She made a washing up liquid and Neem oil mix diluted with water and sprayed it like an insecticide. She said it doesn’t smell very nice though.
Neem oil stinks. I have some I dilute and use. No idea if it works. Not tried on/aphids. I still seem to/have a lot of bugs.

You need to leave a few weeks between spraying with it and harvesting/eating.

I use garlic water with a little washing up ligiid and seems to put most pests off.

Weather here is cooler today and supposed to be wet. Thank goodness watering my garden twice a day is a pain.

I went to wilko this morning and didn't actually need to go down the gardening aisle but walked down there as a way to get out. I saw that they had half price seeds to get rid of the stock. That soon made me stop and I had a good stock up for next year!

• Heart
Reactions: 2