Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree with @Moongirl69 , topping up the soil will help getting a bigger harvest. I always leave mine in until the foliage has died, no harm in leaving them in since it will be too cold by then anyway for them to start growing.

Also can I just rant about slugs? bleeping hate them, they've made a mess of my spinach and radishes. I don't want to use poison but at this rate I might not have any more options. Ffs.
I saw a video on TikTok the other day of someone using thorny branches (like from a rose bush) to border the planter to stop slugs.

I was going to try it but I haven’t had any problems with slugs yet.

I agree with @Moongirl69 , topping up the soil will help getting a bigger harvest. I always leave mine in until the foliage has died, no harm in leaving them in since it will be too cold by then anyway for them to start growing.

Also can I just rant about slugs? bleeping hate them, they've made a mess of my spinach and radishes. I don't want to use poison but at this rate I might not have any more options. Ffs.
I had a right mare with them last year but netting has kept them at bay this year

Slugs and snails I usually go out in the evening or early morning after it's been raining pick them all up and chuck them all over the garden wall

Reactions: 1
I’ve heard broken egg shells around the plant deters slugs. Never tried it myself though.

Reactions: 3
Give slugs something tastier to feast on, like cucumber slices or melon ..or cut melon and take out the middle and place the two halves around the garden and in the morning lift up the skin and hopefully, you will have a few slugs/snails in them

Won’t they raise the acidity level?
No, fresh unused coffee grounds are but after being used they are ok.
As with every garden tip there's pros and cons, used coffee grounds are meant to be a good source of nitrogen, slugs and snails don't like the smell and taste of them.
I read that you should use them mixed well with soil so that they don't clump and form a barrier.

Reactions: 2
Won’t they raise the acidity level?
Google says they're between 6.5 and 6.8 so pretty neutral. Makes sense as it's washed out when brewing but probably not wise to use espresso grounds. Filter grounds are probably better.

Reactions: 2
They look like courgettes. Can you eat their flowers too? Not keen on either cucumber or courgettes but courgette flowers are nommy.
I’ve not idea re the flowers, I’ve never tried them. I have both green and yellow courgettes and a larger cucumber plant growing outside in my raised beds but they’re a long way behind because my mini cucumbers are in the greenhouse.

• Heart
I’ve not idea re the flowers, I’ve never tried them. I have both green and yellow courgettes and a larger cucumber plant growing outside in my raised beds but they’re a long way behind because my mini cucumbers are in the greenhouse.
Just had a Google and you can eat them. None of my courgettes grew this year so no flowers for me.

I ate the tips off my broad beans. There were so many it was nearly a salad by themselves.

Just had a Google and you can eat them. None of my courgettes grew this year so no flowers for me.

I ate the tips off my broad beans. There were so many it was nearly a salad by themselves.
I only had one seed germinate each for cucumber, green courgette and yellow courgette. I think I planted 4 or 5 of each which usually gives me 3 plants of each so I have spares but no spares this year. I think many people are having poor germination this year. Don’t know if it’s the seeds or the compost.

does anyone have any advice about buffeting or protecting trees from the wind?

i have a lovely silver birch that i planted last year - he’s growing really well, however the more leaves he gets the more lopsided he seems to be getting, almost like the weight of the top is causing a lean. he’s also moving quite a bit in the wind, even though he’s very solidly planted.

i’ve seen a few silver birches in the wild now and they generally do just seem to be fragile looking but tough trees but i really don’t want him to blow over!

edit: reread this and have no idea why i referred to a tree as “he” but i’m leaving it in 🤣

• Haha
I only had one seed germinate each for cucumber, green courgette and yellow courgette. I think I planted 4 or 5 of each which usually gives me 3 plants of each so I have spares but no spares this year. I think many people are having poor germination this year. Don’t know if it’s the seeds or the compost.
Compost is really crap this year. lots of seeds not germinating and lots of my plug plants dying as soon as I potted on. sets rock hard so watering is hard and dries out really fast

does anyone have any advice about buffeting or protecting trees from the wind?

i have a lovely silver birch that i planted last year - he’s growing really well, however the more leaves he gets the more lopsided he seems to be getting, almost like the weight of the top is causing a lean. he’s also moving quite a bit in the wind, even though he’s very solidly planted.

i’ve seen a few silver birches in the wild now and they generally do just seem to be fragile looking but tough trees but i really don’t want him to blow over!

edit: reread this and have no idea why i referred to a tree as “he” but i’m leaving it in 🤣
Could you stake him upright?