Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Slightly off topic but I moved house earlier this year and I think my garden is a fox hot spot! Its very steep and did have some deep tunnels which were filled and not thought of again. We've just got back off holiday and part of the garden looks like it's had a small landslide and a huge hole has now appeared (I've attached images).... does anyone know if there is a way to stop this? I have a small child and cats so would like to avoid any incidents.
Sorry, I can’t help but I didn’t want you to feel ignored. 😳

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Just ordered some naice bulbs off Farmer Gracy ready for planting in the Autumn - Some tulips, narcissi, iris reticulata and some anenomes. Will top up the tulips from Lidl as I'm assuming they will start selling in the couple of week x
I’m totally joining you on this. Got a gardening voucher for my birthday last month and I love tulips aesthetically. I also enjoy how they mark the start of the season when I know that the days are getting longer and weather is getting better! Which types did you get, any interesting colours/breeds?

medium-large, I've got lots of space to fill, very high ceilings and apartment that gets a lot of light from almost every angle
Monstera is lovely, I also like a japonica.

I have tulip, snowdrop and narcissus bulbs to go in soon. I picked up some seeds on sale for planting next spring. I have a lot of courgettes and beans now but it's getting much cooler where I live.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m totally joining you on this. Got a gardening voucher for my birthday last month and I love tulips aesthetically. I also enjoy how they mark the start of the season when I know that the days are getting longer and weather is getting better! Which types did you get, any interesting colours/breeds?
I have a huge pot that current has a rose in it which isn't performing well so getting rid of that and filling it with Tulip Graceland then will buy a David Austin Rose to put in it after they've finished

Screenshot 2022-08-27 9.20.50 AM.png

Also got some Narcissus Sabine

Screenshot 2022-08-27 9.23.11 AM.png

I only have a yard/pot garden so I'm a bit bulb crazy

• Heart
Reactions: 4
hi everyone! I'm after some suggestions please, what are relatively low maintenance-easy to keep indoor plants? thank you 🪴
Jade Plant
Christmas cactus

Both are succulents.
I’m useless with house plants but I’ve had my jade plane over ten years and it’s grown very big.
Also meant to be good feng shui if you’re into that.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
thanks everyone for your replies, I've made a list and will check them out next time I'm at a garden centre ☺

Just been to Wilkos. Got lots of cheap seeds and some tulip bulbs. Just need a few more they didn't have and I am set for next year.

Actually worth buying the seeds from there with their sale wow!

Anyone have any suggestions for an evergreen shrub/small tree I can grow in a pot, that ideally flowers in the spring summer? That i can purchase and plant now? I have a small courtyard garden and the only perrenials/evergreen I have are a fern and some ivy.

Anyone have any suggestions for an evergreen shrub/small tree I can grow in a pot, that ideally flowers in the spring summer? That i can purchase and plant now? I have a small courtyard garden and the only perrenials/evergreen I have are a fern and some ivy.
Cotton easter, any kind of hebes, California lilac (bonus as the bees love it) lavender is lovely too. Acer trees are nice but I can never keep them alive 😂

I'm not good at keeping plants alive
I was given a Venus fly trap, it has rain water and it's in the garden so has access to bugs but it's not eating anything and is dying.
I'm not prepared to feed it if I'm honest, I hate bugs and will not voluntarily touch them

Any tips on keeping it alive?

Gift giver will be so upset if I kill the plant

Most of my garden is in pots. What about roses, hydrangeas, dahlias, lavender etc?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm not good at keeping plants alive
I was given a Venus fly trap, it has rain water and it's in the garden so has access to bugs but it's not eating anything and is dying.
I'm not prepared to feed it if I'm honest, I hate bugs and will not voluntarily touch them

Any tips on keeping it alive?

Gift giver will be so upset if I kill the plant
I’ll be honest I’d think a Venus fly trap would struggle outside in Britain’s climate. They’re native to rainforests aren’t they? Hot and humid. I don’t think they need feeding that often but if they’re out in the (relative) cold without protection I reckon it’d die quite quickly. I’d look into getting a little hot house for it and trying to make it a more hospitable environment if you really want to keep it going!

*disclaimer - I’ve never grown one myself!

• Heart
I had some carnivore plants. they did very well outside in the summer last year .. but they are dormant for the winter so you need to put them in a place for that. maybe a shed or something.. . sadly I didn't I had them on a window ledge and mine all died.

• Heart
Had a good summer veg wise considering I only have a small space. All the garlic, spuds and onions are up and stored. Had loads of carrots, the lettuce did great - we'd cut leaves off and they would grow back really fast.

Still got loads of tomatoes going and the first of my sweetcorn is only a few days away. I grow in pots and two planters. Looking to maximise the small space with more planters over the winter. They hold moisture better too.