Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I also wondered if she was demonised for stealing him from Helena Christensen despite being nowhere near as conventionally attractive?
Oh for sure. Remember that horrible cover of a lads mag (Loaded or Nuts???) that had Helena on it with the strapline something like 'who would leave her for Paula Yates?'

ETA

Screenshot_20230314_014717.jpg

And I'd forgotten quite how vile Ian Hislop was to her on Have I Got News For You. Horribly unkind and bullying.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
To this day, I’ve always though peaches looked truly radiant on her wedding day.

the OK article was a bit naff “I wanted to look like I’d picked flowers from the garden”, “from the first date with peaches I knew I wanted to spend all my time with her”.

I always think it’s so sad that that was probably one of the high points of her short life and it makes the pictures especially poignant. She wasn’t a particularly beautiful woman but she truly was beautiful that day.

her dress was gorgeous (Alberta Feretti I believe?) her makeup was stunning and I loved her little hair crown. I think that makeup/hair crown is inspo a little but for my own wedding..(if anyone knows where she got it..!)
I didn't remember her wedding at all but you were right, she looked beautiful, truly happy.... so sad 💔
Screenshot_20230323_221032_Chrome.jpg

• Sad
  • Heart

despair

Chatty Member
It’s so odd isn’t it how he just left the baby with her? I know this just repeating previous threads but it is still soo odd. I mean they must have thought she was ‘ok’ to care for him she probably put on a front and that was that. I’ve worked closely with addicts and some go to great lengths to prove that they are ‘ok’ to cope with their children. It’s so sad to think that baby boy was left by himself for all that time. I hope they are both doing well. I think it’s good that for the most part the media have left them well alone.

Been a social worker you can usually see straight through though…🤔
I know some families that have got past social services so many times. Many social workers are absolutely crap sadly.

The rumour was that Tom killed her. The blind was on crazydaysandnights

Found it https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/10/todays-blind-items-he-killed-her.html?m=1
Well given there was cameras and security and an inquest and investigation, and she had purchased heroin with a much higher toxicity than she was used to, I find that highly unlikely, much as it’s a great story. The social worker dad drove Phaedra back to the house the day before and Tom was elsewhere. They were both posting on social media. Peaches was posting weird shit to do with Elliot Smith continually that night before she died.
Tom was young and whilst that doesn’t excuse him, what a mess to find himself part of. He clearly loved the boys and Peaches. I’d rather imagine he got drunk and blamed himself, himself for leaving her alone or whatever. To say ‘it’s my fault’ doesn’t mean he went and injected her or gave it to her and I hardly think the family would be left with the boys. Who he then removed from social media.

Last edited:

MissHavisham

VIP Member
Loads of celebs go through that phase. Lily Allen went through an escape to the country, earth mother phase. Alex from Blur did his cheese making thing (is he still doing that?). Even Elvis bought a farm and went through a horse rancher phase. Then they get bored, miss all the attention they were previously moaning about, realise their money’s running out and go back to taking drugs and performing for a living.
and Madonna had her lady of the manor phase. Which seems extra bizarre now when you look at her current guise!

• Haha

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I understood she was involved but just not in a very public way (complete opposite to Paula) The girls seem pretty close to their dad and see him.
Sadly there is actually no way of stopping a child hell bent on doing drugs no matter what you put in place (unless you lock them up) they will find a way. It was one of my biggest fears and sadly became a reality with one of mine and I can’t tell you how hard I tried.
what I don’t understand is having followed peaches she had 2 relapses prior to her death (she collected her methadone at a local pharmacy regularly) but slipped and so went into rehab twice. It seems incredibly risky therefore to leave her for extended periods in a house in the middle of nowhere most weekends whilst Tom focused on his music and his parents had the boys. What on earth did they all think was going to happen?
Taking Phaedra back one day only to discover the next she was dead. But Tom stated he had found her stash recently.
So all very strange and risky. Maybe they couldn’t have stopped her, but the baby.
This is what I don’t understand. Why leave your heroin addicted wife alone with a little baby? Maybe he thought the presence of the baby would stop her using? I’m still baffled by it. Phaedra could have died too.

Reactions: 26

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Michael Hutchence sister Tina sounds very bitter. Didn't like Paula, but also didn't like Helena. Recently still blaming her for not telling the rest of the family about Michael's head injury and saying if they had known Michael might still be alive. Which may or may not be true but what an awful thing to lay at Helena's door.

• Heart
  • Sad

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
God, yes. Also the Mandy Smith/Bill Wyman debacle. She was 16, he was 50 but it seemed to have started three years earlier 😩
Mandy Smith is about 5 years older than me and I was sickened by the thought of marrying someone his age. He looked like a corpse. Even in recent years we had that fucking blobby pig Chris Moyles counting down to Charlotte Church reaching 16. I wonder if all the men that cheered him on would find that as funny if it were their daughter.

• Sick
  • Heart

despair

Chatty Member
That CDAN blind is such shite. As if the family would sweep the small matter of Tom murdering Peaches under the carpet “for the sake of the kids”.
Actually hilarious, so not only did her sister supposedly happily take the fact he killed her, then another person seeing him was perfectly fine with him being a sinister murderer and looking after infant children. And a whole family did not want justice, they decided it was for the best. Aside from this, Peaches had a long history of drug use and to my knowledge, Tom was nothing like this, and to randomly suggest he turned up at the house with Astala to find Phaedra alone with his dead mother so he just injected her a bit more is beyond ludicrous. And the fact she was alone and posting the night before and his account of giving the boys yoghurts for lunch after he found her because he didn’t know what else to do while he waited. It’s actually really awful to have such bollocks printed when what they went through must’ve been actually horrific. His finding her dead, his baby luckily, seemingly unharmed despite the hazards and drugs, and his other child with him. It’s just so awful.

• Sad

Bonbon76

VIP Member
Sorry for thread derailment, Grace is very working class girl done good, she had no leg up to get where she did and I have nothing but admiration for that. She worked bloody hard and I think part of that is taking and gig she's offered. I'm at the last chapter of her autobiography and she is caring for her elderly and ill parents and it is really tough reading as my Mum died of cancer in September.

I've had to pause the reading as I was getting actual nightmares!

• Heart
  • Sad

DollyPlops

I’m not sure how much she was bankrolled by Geldof. His music career was in the toilet after about 82 and even before that the Boomtown Rats were never the cool punk rockers that the documentary inferred. I was part of the punk scene and remember them well. BR had one punk record (Looking after Number One) the rest was commercial pop rock.

She was never off the TV and had various other income streams. What Gerry Agar says in the book about Geldof expecting her to always pay her way and that she paid the mortgage does seem likely. When Band Aid happened Midge Ure had been more recently successful. It seems BG ploughed the money he made into business interests, including the production company that made BB, which she also invested in. He’s made money from that since but he wasn’t wealthy by MH standards when they divorced.
---
I also wonder if a lot of her trauma after his death was that therapy made her realise getting roofied up so that your partner can sexually abuse you like a piece of meat isn’t a great love story? It would chime with the “he did love me did he?” questions.

I do have a lot of empathy for how she was treated by Bob from a young age, and later by MH, who sounds like a debauched and abusive prick.

Last edited:
  • Sad

SkippyDoo

Chatty Member
No new information in the documentary, and as usual in these shows, at least one talking head who didn’t actually know her, but very watchable programme to see it all put together.

Not to sound weird but I hadn’t realised just how attractive Paula was in her day. I seem to remember the press being rude that Hutchence had gone from supermodels to PY. But I can see the appeal now, she was good-looking and what a personality. I mean yes I can see the downside of it too!! — but you wouldn’t be bored. Probably more interesting than most supermodels (sorry to anyone out there if I’m underestimating what great conversation they are).

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Courtney Love is autistic and has always been very troubled. It doesn’t surprise me that she has been abused and taken advantage of - it’s so common for autistic girls and women.

Interesting that her father called her a psychopath, “like him”. What with autism being hereditary and all…

• Heart

Boogs

VIP Member
Probably a major factor in Fifi choosing to not have children. She stated she would never because of the harm parents can do to them (essentially-I can’t remember her exact words but that’s what I interpreted)
I didn’t have children because I didn’t want to have them unless I was in a healthy relationship because of all the abuse and violence I was subjected and exposed to by my narcissistic mother. I found it hard to find a healthy relationship because being raised by a narcissist leaves you with so much self doubt that perpetrators can spot your vulnerabilities from a mile away. The fact that the 3 surviving girls appear to have happy lives and successful relationships leads me think that they definitely had an adult in their life who was a consistent, supportive, positive role model (probably Anita the Nanny) and they have accessed therapeutic support to process their trauma.
---
I too think that the reason that Paula was so adamant that it wasn’t suicide was to prove to herself and everyone else that their big love story was true and he would never have willingly chosen to leave her.

• Heart

Beverley Macker

VIP Member
It was horribly acceptable.
I remember watching a dramatization about one of the magdalene laundries and it portrayed a young girl having to marry a farmer 50 years older than her because that was all that would have her after her going through the mother and baby home system. Apparently that was so common back then, if a girl "disappeared" for a year or so it was assumed you had been in a home and you would be only available to the old batchelors who wanted a wife tied to the kitchen sink that they could abuse.

I never saw BG in a bad light, he was always a bit crusty, and seemed like he was in a perpetually bad humour but he always came across as a good father. PY was his flighty peroxide wife but I didn't know a whole lot about her. I never got to watch the Tube growing up, (I was never even allowed watch TOTP until I was in my mid teens) and never watched the Big Breakfast either. It was only when she started hitting the headlines with MH that I really took notice. I used to love INXS and couldn't believe that MH had run off with her! Watching old interviews with her now I can see her persuing him relentlessly until he gave in and shagged her, but then he couldn't get away. Everything from then on was tragic.
Those poor, poor men eh? I mean she was half their age but of course she was a ‘flighty peroxide’ shrew who Bob and Michael just couldn’t get away from.
Spare me.

Reactions: 25

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I think they were all delusional about how their amazing Boho lifestyles were all fine, and ordinary people just aren't as free or advanced thinkers as they were. A lot of the PH set were like that, and then conveniently forget how f Ed up their kids were as a result when they try to reinvent themselves as some other type of healthy living guru later in life.
Exactly that!

This point has been done to death regarding Peaches and people like her, but there’s always this notion that drug use/chaotic lifestyles/having kids super young is fine and dandy and boho when you’re rich and beautiful, but it’s trashy when you’re uneducated and poor.

Serene Serena

VIP Member
My hunch, knowing nothing about Tom except how young he was, is that Peaches was the boss and he was along for the ride. I don’t think either of the pregnancies were planned and can’t imagine that he particularly wanted to be a father at that age, but what was done was done. I’m sure he loved Peaches and was happy to marry into the family (💰) but there’s no way that marriage and two babies was his life plan at 21.

Bearing that in mind, I’m not surprised he handed the baby over despite any concerns he may have had about her using again. I think he was too young and naive and did as he was told.
If he didn’t want to father children, he should have double wrapped. 21 is young, sure, but he wasn’t an innocent boy, being led astray by a beguiling woman. After the first child was born, he should have made sure there wasn’t a second child.

I sound like I’m blaming him but I’m not. I just think he shouldn’t get a free pass because of his age.

Tallyho

Chatty Member
Just watched both episodes and all I can say is that it’s refreshing to see a natural beauty without fillers, turkey teeth, Botox and god knows what else! I really like Paula Yates and thought it was an interesting watchx

• Heart

Make It Stop

VIP Member
There was an article on kent online recently and someone commented one of the kids stole something from a stall at a school fete when with Paula..!
Oh FFS that’s just so petty to comment something like that.

Seriously someone needs to get a fucking life if they think a child swiping something shit from a stall at a school fair 20 or so years ago warrants a public outcry.

• Heart

Octopies

Chatty Member
I didn’t know how witty Paula was before watching that documentary.
it did annoy me a bit with the flitting around of time periods.
but I came away feeling quite sad and mainly pissed off about what a waste of life it was. Feel the same about Michael.

• Heart

despair

Chatty Member
The next door living situation came to light when the older ones were teens and they had had like a bit of an independent granny flat situation going on. When Peaches drug use came out and she was off the rails, Bob got blamed for being too lenient and letting them have too much freedom
Hmm as a parent of a child with a massive drug problem you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t, I would not be judging his parenting on that personally.

• Heart