Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For anyone who wants to see what an utter prick Hislop was.
Thank you for sharing this, I watched the whole episode last night. At first she is her usual quick, funny self, but Ian Hislop is such a prick here.

With Paul Merton, it’s good natured banter, but with Hislop, it quickly becomes clear that he absolutely hates her.
His comments aren’t like the usual HIGNFY jokes, as someone else said, it’s just bullying. You know he’s gone too far because even Angus Deyton basically says, “come on, she’s our guest”.

The fact that she had to ask him to be kind isn’t because she couldn’t handle the banter, it’s because he crossed a line, and was just treating her with total contempt, in front of a live audience.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 35
I didn’t know how witty Paula was before watching that documentary.
it did annoy me a bit with the flitting around of time periods.
but I came away feeling quite sad and mainly pissed off about what a waste of life it was. Feel the same about Michael.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Article in the DM (well, non article) showing Pixie out for a walk with her daughter. Did we know her baby was a daughter before?

Reactions: 5
I didn’t know how witty Paula was before watching that documentary.
it did annoy me a bit with the flitting around of time periods.
but I came away feeling quite sad and mainly pissed off about what a waste of life it was. Feel the same about Michael.
When Robbie said “dickheads take coke” I could hear her saying it! It was very droll, which wasn’t something I’d noticed before but she could be, rather than the frothy flirt schtick I remembered.

Reactions: 12
Thank you for sharing this, I watched the whole episode last night. At first she is her usual quick, funny self, but Ian Hislop is such a prick here.

With Paul Merton, it’s good natured banter, but with Hislop, it quickly becomes clear that he absolutely hates her.
His comments aren’t like the usual HIGNFY jokes, as someone else said, it’s just bullying. You know he’s gone too far because even Angus Deyton basically says, “come on, she’s our guest”.

The fact that she had to ask him to be kind isn’t because she couldn’t handle the banter, it’s because he crossed a line, and was just treating her with total contempt, in front of a live audience.
I totally agree. He took it way beyond banter and acted like he strongly disliked her. The other 2 looked embarrassed at the end! He had to get the last word too, when she finally retorted back to him and he said something about even her insults are related to genitalia! Bullying twit!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Also, Bono’s daughter who acts (Eve) is apparently one of the nastiest, bitchiest pieces of work you never want to be around. A real REAL mean girl (if you’ve ever been bullied by these types, you know how soul destroying this is - drive you to suicidal thoughts sort of situation) This is direct from a friend of a crew member friend who worked with her.
Yes I heard that too from a friend who was an extra on set!! An absolute wagon she is!! To be honest when I heard what he said I thought “ what an absolute bleep”!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Upthread a photo of Bob's sister is posted. Pixie looks like her with the wide spaced eyes . Looks like a Geldof
It’s more the jawline that is like him. I actually don’t believe she is TTD’s daughter, but it would be extremely ironic if she was after what happened with Hughie Green

Reactions: 7
Also, Bono’s daughter who acts (Eve) is apparently one of the nastiest, bitchiest pieces of work you never want to be around. A real REAL mean girl (if you’ve ever been bullied by these types, you know how soul destroying this is - drive you to suicidal thoughts sort of situation) This is direct from a friend of a crew member friend who worked with her.
I thought she came across as a bit arrogant and self entitled in interviews.

Reactions: 7
I'm currently reading her autobiography "Hungry" and I love her. Didn't have much awareness of her before, it just jumped out at me from the library.
I very much enjoyed this book, sort of an autobiography mixed with the history of British food, through her life.

Reactions: 8
The drugs must be such a huge elephant in the room for the Geldofs. The whole documentary just didn’t mention it, and whatever biography I read back in the day didn’t either.

Do people really go from being a famous teetotaller to overdose-level heroin In a few years? I know it is something that sadly happens that people use heroin regularly and take more and more, then they have some time off it, then when they go back they take the dose they used to have, but they overdose because their time off it has reduced their tolerance. But to get to that stage you had be using heroin regularly enough to be upping the dose in the first place.
In the bio I read years ago it said Paula didn’t drink until Michael died. Seems very strange. I can’t imagine the chaos and pain in her head to be going through that awful bereavement with a young baby, no family to fall back on, and then starting to experiment with all the many ways alcohol makes you feel.

Peaches was on methadone and had been for 2 1/2 years at only 25. Surely that indicates serious, longterm drug abuse.

Bob Geldof has/had quite a lot of power IMO. Going back to your point @lamaitresse about the drugs bust at Michael and Paula’s. There must have been tonnes of drugs going on for years, with ultimately terrible effects, but the one thing they did work to do was keep it out of the press. Speculation, your Honour.

There are a few who don't like Paula on this thread. I agree the batting eyelashes and couquettish interview style was getting a bit stale (some would say it always was) but she was her own person, vibrant, charming, stylish, worked hard, yes, she may have been something of a social climber (who isn't, in that world?) but I felt she was essentially a decent soul - certainly, her good friends remember her that way.

She made plenty of bad choices. It's a tragedy Paula and Peaches ended up dying before their time.
I love those words @lamaitresse these were three young, vibrant people tragically gone too soon. RIP.

Reactions: 14
Do people really go from being a famous teetotaller to overdose-level heroin In a few years?
I don’t think she was teetotal tbh. I did at one point, but I think when celebs say they don’t do drugs, they usually mean hard drugs and don’t count weed. However, having said that, I have a friend who didn’t touch drugs til she was in her 40’s and then went on a 10 year bender (she probably did everything except heroin but she’s now clean). She actually reminds me a bit of Paula because she was in a relationship that was toxic AF from the outside, but she hasn’t had a serious relationship since they broke up over 20 years because she thinks they were soulmates and only split because they ‘loved each other too much’ (i.e both of them were addicted to the drama, dv on both sides, cheating, splitting up, getting back together etc). Meanwhile, he’s moved on, got married and had kids with someone else.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
In her book, Paula talks about her exposure and usage to drugs from about the age 12. It was just booze (until the tragedy), that didn't feature.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I watched that episode of HIGNFY - even though I was in my 20s I felt exactly the same as now - that they went right over the top and Paula just didn't have the defences to fire back (likely worn down so much by the paps chasing her - she was vulnerable by that time. I know Hutchence's family say she tipped them off often - I don't think she signed up for harassment and stalking, though).

It may have been misjudged and Hislop thought she'd fight back but she was just buckled by despair by this point. I wonder why she agreed to appear - as others are saying, politicians (who have done genuine misdeeds) get an easier time of it on HIGNFY - and play the game. Who cares whether she got her boobs done or not?! Was the implication from Ian Hislop that she was trying (and likely failing) to compete with a supermodel to keep Michael interested? That's how I interpreted it.

Many here are put off by the friend's rather florid writing style but it's interesting she thinks Michael killed himself because of the drugs bust (the opium in the Smarties packet) yet it was later overturned by the CPS - "the police had been manipulated", as Catherine Mayer wrote.

The press went after Paula and Michael full force, for a sustained period - why - I don't know - affairs and scandals are red tops' bread and butter! They usually find a new target after a while.

I remember the "Paula Yates Caught With Black Star" headline well, which definitely wouldn't fly nowadays - why reduce a renowned musician down to simply being a "black man" if you aren't racist?

I did feel that the press hounded Paula to her death - even after Michael had passed - and she did try rallying - but the vitriol she got was immense. To pester, harass, even bug a grieving woman's phone, call her names when out walking her baby - it just beggars belief. "Blaming" just the media wouldn't be fair, but they definitely played a large part in contributing to her despair. Paula even said she was agoraphobic at one point.

There are a few who don't like Paula on this thread. I agree the batting eyelashes and couquettish interview style was getting a bit stale (some would say it always was) but she was her own person, vibrant, charming, stylish, worked hard, yes, she may have been something of a social climber (who isn't, in that world?) but I felt she was essentially a decent soul - certainly, her good friends remember her that way.

She made plenty of bad choices. It's a tragedy Paula and Peaches ended up dying before their time.

The truth is, there's often no good guy - bad guy in a split. it's obvious Saint Bob had his failings as a parent and husband as well.
I just cannot compute how being a self obsessed (and MH obsessed) hedonistic drug user (before MH died) makes someone a good parent and person, and the more boring parent who looks a bit grumpy but raised the kids and one who wasn’t even his, makes him the bad guy

MH was a complete mess, during his RS with Paula he declined so much. In part as INXS became outdated. Look at the TGIF interview. He looked awful. I love MH as a musician, but I don’t think he was a good parent. I don’t hate Paula, but she was a terrible parent. They both got a lot of stick for their OWN bad choices

Even Bono and friends got sick of them and stopped hanging out with him and Paula as they were always high. They had OPIUM in the house with kids - they deserved to get into trouble. It’s well known MH was using all kinds of drugs for a long time. A good mother would not have risked exposing her kids to that life. Their love was obsessive and unhealthy and destroyed both of them. It was not Bobs fault

Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.