Peaches Geldof #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im older than a lot of you I think and remember the custody battle for Tiger Lily very well. She went to Bob, primarily so she could stay with her sisters. Had she gone to live in Australia with Michaels family then she would hardly have seen them. Bob then said ‘anybody would have done the same’ as him, but they really wouldn’t have. I remember my own mum saying she thought Bob deserved a medal for taking Tiger Lily on. He actually adopted her didn’t he? Her name is Hutchence-Geldof.
That's the thing in circumstances like this what is the "right" thing to do, keep all the kids together with Bob ( even though he was hated by Michael) or send one child to Oz to the Hutence family ( that was hated by Michael) DNA means nothing in these cases you act in the best interest of the child. I also think the Hutence family may not have protected Tiger from press interests and would have sold stories and photos of her.

I also don't truly believe that Bob was an absent parent to Tiger, I remember when Bob's father died and the family came here to Ireland for the funeral, there was pictures in the papers of Tiger clinging to Bob as she was so upset at losing her grandad, apparently Bob's dad doted on her, she was the apple of his eye, that doesn't fit with a distant and absent Bob that didn't make that little girl a part of the family. I think the whole separate flat for the kids is overblown too, how many parents have a playroom or treehouse for their kids, this is just the wealthy version of that, a space for the kids to hang out that is their own, you wouldn't accuse Brenda down the road of being a negligent mother because she turfed her kids into the playroom when they got too loud and boisterous.

Now I have to have a wash for partway defending Sir Gob Geldof.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
I don’t know much about Bob’s current wife but I imagine because tiger was so young when her parents died and because Jeanne seems quite stable she probably grew up with a more stable family unit than the girls being raised by Paula and Bob. All this is conjecture!

Reactions: 16
Im older than a lot of you I think and remember the custody battle for Tiger Lily very well. She went to Bob, primarily so she could stay with her sisters. Had she gone to live in Australia with Michaels family then she would hardly have seen them. Bob then said ‘anybody would have done the same’ as him, but they really wouldn’t have. I remember my own mum saying she thought Bob deserved a medal for taking Tiger Lily on. He actually adopted her didn’t he? Her name is Hutchence-Geldof.

He did adopt her. I think Jeanne may have too.

A man who would raise the living proof of the affair that ruined his marriage is a rare one. I think it says a lot about Bob Geldof’s character that that he did so, having fought to do so. That wasn’t done out of spite, or one upmanship. What a hollow victory having to parent a child (closely or via nannies) for the rest of their lives would have been if that was the motivation. I think that she had had little to no relationship with her Australian family would have played a part in custody being awarded to Bob. She’d lost both her parents at 4 years old, would it have been morally right to hand her over to biologically related strangers and enforce her losing her sisters too? Surely not.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I also don't think that either Paula or Peaches were ready to really get real about their issues when they died. Paula was still telling all and sundry that people were just jealous that she nabbed Michael Hutchence - I remember an excrutiating comment she meant about the disapproving school mums she came across and how they were all so jealous of her (you can just imagine why they would have been disapproving!!) and Peaches was so dishonest about literally every aspect of her life. It's a shame that neither ever got near to confronting their demons.
This reminds me of insta-celebs saying people are "just jealous" about their trips to Dubai during a pandemic 🙄 I will admit I loved Paula when I was growing up, when she was on the Big Breakfast. I Thought she was the coolest person and I might still actual have some remnants of her style inspiration but the older I get the more I realise she may have looked cool but she wasn't a person to model yourself after.

Reactions: 24
I just remembered, on first dates a few years ago there was a girl whose mum was best friends with Paula - I think her name was Belinda. She was talking about how she had had a dysfunctional childhood and how she didn’t get on with her mum, that whole crowd must have been quite neglected by their parents. Sorry if it has been previously mentioned!

Just googled! The first dater was Montana Murphy and her mum is Belinda Brewin.
Belinda Brewin accidentally got mixed up with a guy who murdered a whole family to get hold of a company so he could import drugs. He actually buried the bodies on her land, but moved them when she got suspicious of him.

• Wow
Reactions: 37
Belinda Brewin accidentally got mixed up with a guy who murdered a whole family to get hold of a company so he could import drugs. He actually buried the bodies on her land, but moved them when she got suspicious of him.
You what??!!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
this whole crowd scream... avoid

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I read an article about Bob and how angry he was at the system for child custody after he and Paula separated. He was saying how unfair it was towards fathers, that he was separated from his children after having seen them almost every day of their lives up to that point and how if he walked out taking them he would be arrested whereas the mother could and it would be fine. He, I believe, was very outspoken on improving the rights of divorced fathers. He sought custody and was eventually granted it because he wanted to protect the girls from the chaos that had become Paulas life. I find it hard to believe that he would then just ignore his children. The damage was undoubtedly done to those girls during the bitter divorce and custody proceedings and all the trauma surrounding the deaths of Michael and Paula herself. Bob maintains that he was blindsided by her leaving him. She cheated and left him and somehow he is the bad guy because he didn't roll over. Also took on tiger lily and treated her as his own and as has been said, she was the result of that terrible betrayal. I don't really like Bob Geldof, honest 😂, but he imo did the best with the crappy hands he was dealt.

Reactions: 60
Whoever up thread said that Eli Roth has a creepy vibe I think is right, he’s always given me the creeps but I can’t put my finger on it. I’m sure there’s been blinds pointing towards him but can’t remember what they were..

Reactions: 8
It’s interesting that in those statements to the Australian police, it was only Peaches and Pixie that were going to Australia. I‘m guessing Fifi didn’t want go. Someone said on the other thread that Fifi was vocal about Paula’s shortcomings. anyone know more?

I don't think he ignored them. He quite clearly left them unsupervised though, there are numerous reports of them living in a different part of the building. Perhaps he thought he was being a bohemian parent. Or doing what rich people do.

Reactions: 7
I also don't think that either Paula or Peaches were ready to really get real about their issues when they died. Paula was still telling all and sundry that people were just jealous that she nabbed Michael Hutchence - I remember an excrutiating comment she meant about the disapproving school mums she came across and how they were all so jealous of her (you can just imagine why they would have been disapproving!!) and Peaches was so dishonest about literally every aspect of her life. It's a shame that neither ever got near to confronting their demons.
This is a very good observation, both of them have not grown-up.
They invented stories that they might have believed themselves - unable to look at their faults and wounds.

Both of them had therapists, though, but it must have been harder to deal with things in the public eye.
In this book about Paula there are many observations about how angry she was if there was a negative article about her in the press.

Bob seems to be more reflected. Certainly not perfect, but less unstable and more mature.
It also counts for something that after the 18 year relationship with Paula he soon started another long-term relationship - I think he and Jeanne have been together for 25 years? They don't seem to have the up-and-downs that Paula and Michael had.

It is also clear that both Paula and Peaches were drawn to charismatic but unstable men.

Reactions: 13
My baby was awake all night so I ended up googling Paula Yates. This interview with her is so interesting: she seems absolutely besotted with Michael. No mention of her other kids and she says Tiger's birth was the best day of her life which I find a bit odd and unfair to her other daughters...!

She seems completely in denial about how he died and goes on about them having another daughter and living in Australia.

I do wonder if Paula loved the baby stage: having a small child on her hip then losing interest?

• Sad
Reactions: 30
Was googling pictures of her and there’s one of her wearing a confederate flag t shirt. Wtf?

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Was googling pictures of her and there’s one of her wearing a confederate flag t shirt. Wtf?
probably because she thought it made her look cool and quirky!! But didnt have a clue about what it represented. i wouldnt be suprised if she had never spent time in a confederate state either.

My baby was awake all night so I ended up googling Paula Yates. This interview with her is so interesting: she seems absolutely besotted with Michael. No mention of her other kids and she says Tiger's birth was the best day of her life which I find a bit odd and unfair to her other daughters...!

She seems completely in denial about how he died and goes on about them having another daughter and living in Australia.

I do wonder if Paula loved the baby stage: having a small child on her hip then losing interest?
Oh that's awful. What a gorgeous baby. I hope she's happy, she deserves it after losing so much.

Reactions: 12
Can anyone recommend a good book about Paula Yates? This thread really is fascinating but so sad.
On a lighter note, I was looking up pictures, and spent a good few minutes confused to see Dean Gaffney hanging out with Paula and Bob at the Brit awards.... it’s actually Roger Daltrey!

1613002436847.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 97
I read the Belinda Brewin one years ago, I borrowed it from the library. It was pretty interesting, although I would be interested to know what Michael's friends made of it.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.