Peaches Geldof #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bob's mum died of a brain haemorrhage when he was seven. He had two much older sisters and his dad travelled a lot with work so he would've been alone in the house a lot as a child, it sounds pretty lonely and emotionally deprived. They were quite well-off, the Geldofs, and he went to Blackrock, the most exclusive school in Ireland though he wasn't happy there. It's something British people often don't pick up about Bob, that he is from an affluent background and you can see it in his confidence and swagger. I don't think anything in his background really equipped him to make a nice home for his motherless girls even though he provided for them materially.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
i don’t about peaches having a personality disorder, but i have posted and theorised that paula most likely did! (fellow bpd-er here! fist bump?) it’s so sad how we can see them better than themselves because of insights we had to fight to learn, when peaches and paula had been no where near learning those insights for themselves. things would be very different for them otherwise ☹☹☹
big fist bump right back at you! i hope you are doing okay in these troubling times.
I will go and do some research on Paula , thankyou :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Jesus! This whole thread has been a wild ride.

Peaches death always stuck with me, for some reason. I was only 17 when she passed and I remember being so shocked when the news broke out - even more so when the cause of death was revealed. I followed her on Instagram for years and loved her home, her ‘perfect life’ she tried to portray and was a HUGE fan of Thomas Cohen’s music.

I never read too much into Paula’s life until yesterday when I started reading this thread. It’s all just so terribly sad what happened to them all. As others have said, I desperately hope Fifi, Pixie & Tiger are doing ok, the same for Peaches two little boys.

Reactions: 18
Remember when she went out with Eli Roth? There’s something not right with him, he gives me the creeps.

I think Peaches had a lot of work done on her face, her mouth/teeth/jawline in the last few years of her life looked totally different and it wasn’t just the weight loss. Having said that, I thought she looked great when she changed her appearance & it was a surprise to find out she was hooked on heroin.

Reactions: 27
I've never seen anything about Peaches mentioning her own mental health. My impression of Peaches would be that she wouldn't have been comfortable with a diagnosis of a mental hath condition as it may have conflicted with the image she was trying to portray, or she may have seen it as another reason to be criticised in the media. She does seem to have had a fragile sense of self with the changes in lifestyle, religion etc.

She didn’t ever mention her mental health as far I as remember. 7 years ago was a very different landscape in terms of how people spoke of their mental health issues. Had she lived, she might have been quite vocal about it. We’ll never know though.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Yea the Eli Roth thing creeped me out. He was about 20 years older than her - she was very young and clearly a troubled young woman.

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Remember when she went out with Eli Roth? There’s something not right with him, he gives me the creeps.

I think Peaches had a lot of work done on her face, her mouth/teeth/jawline in the last few years of her life looked totally different and it wasn’t just the weight loss. Having said that, I thought she looked great when she changed her appearance & it was a surprise to find out she was hooked on heroin.
Yes she has had a lot of work done that's not just weight loss.
I think Bob sounds to be an awful person, I mean why not let MHs family see Tiger after Paula and Michael died?. They did absolutely nothing wrong at all and were grieving themselves, they had lost a son and brother. That was just out and out spite.
A lady on the first thread said her daughter dislocated her knee cap round at Bobs when she was staying with Peaches. There's was no adult supervision and no one took her to hospital! That's appalling if she was under 16, I'd have rang Bob up and told him what I thought. That's just ridiculous.

Reactions: 12
I think re Bob getting custody of Tiger Lily - there will be things we don’t, and have no right, to know about. Family court proceedings are always sealed unlike say, criminal judgments which are a matter of public record.

Bob himself had a traumatic loss in childhood and thereafter a fairly emotionally barren upbringing. He seems to have done his best with the tools he was equipped with. Arguably he did rather better than Paula. Selfish perhaps, distant probably - erratic and prone to attention seeking behaviour, prioritising a lover over his young children - no.

Reactions: 37
I think re Bob getting custody of Tiger Lily - there will be things we don’t, and have no right, to know about. Family court proceedings are always sealed unlike say, criminal judgments which are a matter of public record.

Bob himself had a traumatic loss in childhood and thereafter a fairly emotionally barren upbringing. He seems to have done his best with the tools he was equipped with. Arguably he did rather better than Paula. Selfish perhaps, distant probably - erratic and prone to attention seeking behaviour, prioritising a lover over his young children - no.
Yes but there's been nothing anywhere I've read to suggest that there was anything wrong with MHs family so bad to stop them seeing Tiger at all. If they had been sex offenders or very violent etc then I think someone would have said.

Reactions: 4
I can't remember many details of the Tiger Lily custody battle, but I do remember that some of Paula's friends testified that Michael hated his family and wouldn't have wanted Tiger with them (I guess they didn't mention that Michael also hated Bob Geldof!) I think Michael's mum and his sister went for custody. I did think it was surprising that Bob got custody - with him not being a blood relative - but I can't actually remember why he got custody instead of Michael's family - or if the reasons were even made public. Not sure if Paula's friends statements were a factor/the deciding factor. Paula's friends were always quick to make statements!

Michael's camp felt that seeking custody of his child was Bob's final duck you to Hutchence. They said that Michael would absolutely hate the thought of Bob Geldof raising his child. I imagine that to be true.

I am pretty sure it was said Bob went for custody because his girls begged him to keep their little sister with them - that could just be paper talk. I have nothing to back this up!

That said, I think Tiger's upbringing may have been quite different to Bob's other daughters, as Jeanne is said to have provided a stable home environment for her, and it seems that Tiger gets along well with her sisters (just from what I have read/seen in the papers).

Reactions: 24
Yes but there's been nothing anywhere I've read to suggest that there was anything wrong with MHs family so bad to stop them seeing Tiger at all. If they had been sex offenders or very violent etc then I think someone would have said.
Honestly I think it likely he has used a lot of his money to suppress as much about his family from the press as possible. What his adult or at least not “legally minor” daughters did was probably out of his hands. Taking out an injunction to prevent unnecessary public interest in Tiger Lily and therefore Michael’s family seems likely. I don’t know obviously, but it seems fitting with his character. She seems to have grown into a well adjusted young woman, he may well have learned from his own mistakes there, also she is the only one of the daughters to have not been exposed to Paula’s influence beyond a young age.

I think they’re an incredibly complex family, nobody comes off awfully well but they’re just people aren’t they? Nobody is “the bad guy”. People would be massively less sympathetic if they weren’t privileged, if they lived on a council estate, with that history. Their privilege also comes with a degree of intrigue “rich, glamorous” but also an almost open access to their private lives. Even that they have their own Wikipedia pages - you’d not be able to google that information about a random stranger.

Reactions: 25
I just remembered, on first dates a few years ago there was a girl whose mum was best friends with Paula - I think her name was Belinda. She was talking about how she had had a dysfunctional childhood and how she didn’t get on with her mum, that whole crowd must have been quite neglected by their parents. Sorry if it has been previously mentioned!

Just googled! The first dater was Montana Murphy and her mum is Belinda Brewin.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I just remembered, on first dates a few years ago there was a girl whose mum was best friends with Paula - I think her name was Belinda. She was talking about how she had had a dysfunctional childhood and how she didn’t get on with her mum, that whole crowd must have been quite neglected by their parents. Sorry if it has been previously mentioned!

Just googled! The first dater was Montana Murphy and her mum is Belinda Brewin.
Belinda Brewin is the woman pictured standing beside Paula at Michael's funeral.

ETA: Pretty sure she was one of the friends who gave a statement about Michael hating his family at the Tiger Lily custody trial.

Reactions: 12
Belinda Brewin is the woman pictured standing beside Paula at Michael's funeral.

ETA: Pretty sure she was one of the friends who gave a statement about Michael hating his family at the Tiger Lily custody trial.
Ahh! She didn’t mention her name on the show, she was just talking about her childhood but people on Twitter worked out who the mum was. I was being nosy at the time so was looking at the tweets.

found the clip here, it's right at the bottom

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
This article is by a journalist who spoke to Peaches often. Apparently Bob was quite traditional at home, whereas Paula was pure chaos after Michael died.

Peaches also described how she didn't grieve for her mother, that she was "numb". Bob sent the children to school the day Paula died (probably the day after) as he practiced the stiff upper lip that his own upbringing probably taught him.

She then copied her mum in later life in terms of being "the bad girl" and she took many drugs.

If there was unresolved grief then maybe the heroin helped her deal with it and the overdose just after posting a photo of her with her mother was no coincidence.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I've gone down a hole as I googled Belinda and her and Paula's statements after MH death were one of the first things that popped up. I don't know much about Paula but this sounds beyond messy. Also I thought interesting that Paula calls herself his de-facto wife and says they were planning more children. Also interesting that his last phone call was to his first girlfriend, she sounds like she was a very calming influence.

https://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/hutchstatements.html

Reactions: 9
I've gone down a hole as I googled Belinda and her and Paula's statements after MH death were one of the first things that popped up. I don't know much about Paula but this sounds beyond messy. Also I thought interesting that Paula calls herself his de-facto wife and says they were planning more children. Also interesting that his last phone call was to his first girlfriend, she sounds like she was a very calming influence.

https://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/hutchstatements.html

god, after reading about peaches’ upbringing in those documents it’s not really that much of a shock that she turned out to be so wild, like a car crash in the media at points. she would have been deeply traumatised by her mother leaving, and the custody battles, all that before paula even passed away. that would warp any child’s upbringing, regardless of they were a geldof or not.

Reactions: 10
Im older than a lot of you I think and remember the custody battle for Tiger Lily very well. She went to Bob, primarily so she could stay with her sisters. Had she gone to live in Australia with Michaels family then she would hardly have seen them. Bob then said ‘anybody would have done the same’ as him, but they really wouldn’t have. I remember my own mum saying she thought Bob deserved a medal for taking Tiger Lily on. He actually adopted her didn’t he? Her name is Hutchence-Geldof.

Reactions: 14
She didn’t ever mention her mental health as far I as remember. 7 years ago was a very different landscape in terms of how people spoke of their mental health issues. Had she lived, she might have been quite vocal about it. We’ll never know though.
I also don't think that either Paula or Peaches were ready to really get real about their issues when they died. Paula was still telling all and sundry that people were just jealous that she nabbed Michael Hutchence - I remember an excrutiating comment she meant about the disapproving school mums she came across and how they were all so jealous of her (you can just imagine why they would have been disapproving!!) and Peaches was so dishonest about literally every aspect of her life. It's a shame that neither ever got near to confronting their demons.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.