PCOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you guys use for facial hair removal? Mine isn't terrible but I have a lot of strong peach fuzz with random long dark hairs and it makes me feel soooo self-conscious :( Atm I use a mini trimmer thing, tweezers, I need to start electrolysis again but just wondering if anyone had any good products to recommend in particular

What do you guys use for facial hair removal? Mine isn't terrible but I have a lot of strong peach fuzz with random long dark hairs and it makes me feel soooo self-conscious :( Atm I use a mini trimmer thing, tweezers, I need to start electrolysis again but just wondering if anyone had any good products to recommend in particular
I've just bought spearmint oil to treat my facial hair, it's supposed to work. There have been clinical trials where it's been found to be effective and I've heard anecdotally that it works too. Here's hoping it does the job

Who would be best to go see for more treatment?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 (I'm 42 now). At the time, all the doctor did was put me on the pill (as my periods were irregular and heavy) which I eventually came off a couple of years later because they were playing havoc with my body.

Since then I've not really done anything for it. My weight is high (230lbs), still get facial hair and heavy bloating. During lockdown I managed to lose 30lbs and in the process really helped with some of those symptoms but then with work and commitments it's blown back up. But I think it's time to try and sort this out. But with my doctors being useless I've decided to go private, but who do I go to. Should I try a gyno or endro?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 (I'm 42 now). At the time, all the doctor did was put me on the pill (as my periods were irregular and heavy) which I eventually came off a couple of years later because they were playing havoc with my body.

Since then I've not really done anything for it. My weight is high (230lbs), still get facial hair and heavy bloating. During lockdown I managed to lose 30lbs and in the process really helped with some of those symptoms but then with work and commitments it's blown back up. But I think it's time to try and sort this out. But with my doctors being useless I've decided to go private, but who do I go to. Should I try a gyno or endro?
Definitely endocrinology

Reactions: 2
Thank you that helps as I've had some bad experiences with smears which was making me anxious.

Appreciate you kindness, many thanks.

Have a good weekend.
Hey all

Thanks for all your kind workss.

I got the scan all went okay. It showed no cysts,.

I feel kinda stupid but I know there's an issue. Any advice what I should do next?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Have you had any blood tests done? Despite the name, you don't actually have to have polycystic ovaries to have pcos so you may have it. I believe you can be diagnosed if you have 2 out of the 3 main symptoms, so irregular periods, excess androgens and polycystic ovaries

Reactions: 2
Have you had any blood tests done? Despite the name, you don't actually have to have polycystic ovaries to have pcos so you may have it. I believe you can be diagnosed if you have 2 out of the 3 main symptoms, so irregular periods, excess androgens and polycystic ovaries
I was wondering that, no blood tests at all. The gynae I'm seeing isn't the nicest or most patient but I'll try say to do them at the next appointment. Thanks a mill. This thread is so reassuring that it not in your head.

You should be able to ask your GP for blood tests rather than having to wait for gynae? I was diagnosed about 5 years ago I think and my GP did mine for me

You should be able to ask your GP for blood tests rather than having to wait for gynae? I was diagnosed about 5 years ago I think and my GP did mine for me
My GP is useless, I only got listened to because there was a locum there. I'll try him anyway.
Ah sure I'm already with a gynae so thought might be easier to just get a full work done.
---
Your Gp can do the blood tests. What symptoms do you have?
Hair on face and chest, bloating, light/ non-existence periods, bloating, swollen hands and feet, pin and needles, stomach weight (struggle to lose), fatigue, skin discolouration, constipation, pelvic pain (spasms)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Popping in to report that 1 teaspoon of myo-inositol powder - dissolved in water - taken each morning seems to have completely obliterated my intense cravings / constant want to eat. It appeared to take effect the very same day that I started it. Initially I had some stomach upset, usually within 15 minutes of drinking it on an empty stomach. A week later this has settled down. I drink it slowly and have a breakfast such as porridge soon after. The real test will come after I next ovulate. If I still don’t experience any cravings then, I will be truly amazed.

I have also experienced a slight increase in headaches but this could also be due to dehydration. My biggest concern at the moment is hair shedding. I do lose a fair amount of hair but I feel like it may have increased. I can’t be sure if this is linked to the inositol or not but for now I will continue with 1 teaspoon daily and see how it goes.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've finally had my most recent blood test results back as I'd asked about being given Metformin. But all my levels have improved so they won't let me have it and I'm actually gutted. My blood sugar was fine and my testosterone has gone down. But I feel like it doesn't match my symptoms, I'm finding it so hard to lose weight, my excess facial hair is worse than ever and I have zero sex drive. I don't know what else to try anymore:( was really hoping I would be prescribed it to see if it helped

I've finally had my most recent blood test results back as I'd asked about being given Metformin. But all my levels have improved so they won't let me have it and I'm actually gutted. My blood sugar was fine and my testosterone has gone down. But I feel like it doesn't match my symptoms, I'm finding it so hard to lose weight, my excess facial hair is worse than ever and I have zero sex drive. I don't know what else to try anymore:( was really hoping I would be prescribed it to see if it helped
Looks into either berberine or myo-inositol, both have been found to be as effective as metformin

Hey guys! I’ve recently just been for an ultrasound as I haven’t had a period since June 2022. The sonogram lady suspects I have pcos but needs to send the scans to my doctor for confirmation. I have been off contraception since January 2022 and we’d really like to start our own family. I’m just wondering if anyone has any positive pregnancy stories with having pcos? Just trying to find a glimmer of hope as it feels so gloomy at the moment

Hey guys! I’ve recently just been for an ultrasound as I haven’t had a period since June 2022. The sonogram lady suspects I have pcos but needs to send the scans to my doctor for confirmation. I have been off contraception since January 2022 and we’d really like to start our own family. I’m just wondering if anyone has any positive pregnancy stories with having pcos? Just trying to find a glimmer of hope as it feels so gloomy at the moment
Not my own experience but my friend has pcos and got pregnant fairly quickly after coming off the pill. Someone else I know who has it fell pregnant after a couple of years of trying too

same as the poster above, not myself personally but I know a girl who got diagnosed with pcos and was told she'd find it difficult (not impossible) to conceive but she got pregnant straight away and had a very healthy pregnancy, I hope it works out for you! 💗

Hi! I’ve got PCOS and managed to get pregnant quickly using Letrozole 5mg - worked first time for us! I also cut back on alcohol, caffeine and ate mostly whole foods whilst we were TTC which I think helped my body prepare for pregnancy. Good luck on your journey x

• Heart
I was refered to fertility after trying for a year and prescribed clomid. I fell pregnant on my second cycle and now have a littke girl who is 16 weeks old. The referal process was actually quite quick,but I also know of people with pcos who didn't need any help. Don't lose hope, and good luck x

• Heart
Has anyone tried maca root? Been seeing it all over TikTok and not sure if it’s just bullshit 🙈😂

I know you asked this a month ago but I recently had a private consultation with a GP. She was absolutely amazing and listened to my worries re weight gain, facial hair, lack of period.
She prescribed me medication for 14 days to induce a bleed. Has referred me to both gyno and endro and asked for my own GP to give me blood checks for diabete, thyroid etc.
It’s the first time since being diagnosed that I feel anyone has listened