PCOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone managed to get regular periods? I had 4 last year and haven’t had one for 4 months now. I’m unsure what I’m supposed to be doing, if anything. I was diagnosed last year and then left with no further advice.
I was diagnosed many years ago too but got no further advise. Recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes which I now only after the fact realised is common, if not careful, because of the insulin resistance associated with PCOS.. 😢
I was without period for many years too but did find that when I lowered my sugar and carb intake that it would come back some months

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Has anyone managed to get regular periods? I had 4 last year and haven’t had one for 4 months now. I’m unsure what I’m supposed to be doing, if anything. I was diagnosed last year and then left with no further advice.
I am on a few pcos Facebook groups and the general information is that you should have a bleed at least every 3 months even if it’s forced by medication. To stop the risk of the womb lining becoming to thick. I would ask your GP for the tablets that cause a bleed. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and was only given help as I was ttc. Now I’ve had my baby I’ve been left to it. I am on metformin that does seem to help a lot of women with their periods

Reactions: 1
Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with PCOS this morning. It was kinda unexpected as I never really thought much of my irregular bleeding, and only went to the GP for the coil.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. My GP was so kind, reassuring and informative, but I still feel lost. Luckily, I don't require any medication like metformin, but I only know the basics about PCOS. I'm 90% certain on not having kids, so idk why I'm feeling like this. Taking my hypothyroidism into consideration, I guess I'm just fed up of my body not doing what it's supposed to.

Idk which coil I want either, I've been indecisive about both since the start, and don't have any prior experience with the coil. GP recommends the hormonal coil as it gives endometrial protection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 🥺

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with PCOS this morning. It was kinda unexpected as I never really thought much of my irregular bleeding, and only went to the GP for the coil.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. My GP was so kind, reassuring and informative, but I still feel lost. Luckily, I don't require any medication like metformin, but I only know the basics about PCOS. I'm 90% certain on not having kids, so idk why I'm feeling like this. Taking my hypothyroidism into consideration, I guess I'm just fed up of my body not doing what it's supposed to.

Idk which coil I want either, I've been indecisive about both since the start, and don't have any prior experience with the coil. GP recommends the hormonal coil as it gives endometrial protection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 🥺
I had mirena coils for 13 years. It masked the majority of my PCOS symptoms and also helped stop my endometriosis from coming back after it was lasered off. My first was fitted immediately after the surgery and either because of the surgery or because it was my first coil or both I did bleed constantly for about 10 weeks which was brutal. Some tranexamic acid from the Dr sorted that out and after that it was great. The first Dr I saw told me to tough it out, the second said I never should have been left to bleed so long so I probably just had a rubbish experience there! The replacement of the mirena was… I didn’t enjoy it. I left my first coil in too long partly due to covid and partly due to just not sorting out my GP etc and they were nervous about removing it as they were worried it was brittle so went really slowly and I found it all a bit traumatic and may have screamed ‘duck!’ at the top of my lungs during insertion whilst squeezing a nurse’s hand for dear life. How mature of me. The recent removal I had was absolutely fine, however (didn’t have another put in). I understand you can ask for local anaesthetic for fitting now so you could explore that? Sorry if this has put you off. I would just rather be honest. I am glad I had the mirena. Especially as my PCOS symptoms are absolutely beasting me now it’s been removed and I am wondering if my endometriosis has started to return as well!

Hi ladies am I being thick here or something? 🤪 after coming off the pill Cerazette I've had 2 years of non existent periods. After having a blood test my doctor suspects it's PCOS. He prescribed Metformin twice a day since October last year.

I assumed the Metformin would help my cycle become regular again but has made no difference. Is this weird?

Hi ladies am I being thick here or something? 🤪 after coming off the pill Cerazette I've had 2 years of non existent periods. After having a blood test my doctor suspects it's PCOS. He prescribed Metformin twice a day since October last year.

I assumed the Metformin would help my cycle become regular again but has made no difference. Is this weird?
It’s only been three months. It’s different for everyone but took me three months to have a period after taking metformin then was regular every single month

Mine are now regular after not having one for over 6 months when I was first diagnosed. I lost about 2 stone and they came back (not saying this is something you need to do as of course I have no idea of your circumstances!). Losing weight and regular exercise did help my symptoms a lot, and I also added a lot more salad and veg into my diet. I have a bit of salad with my tea every evening and try to get a better variety of veg than I was before. I'm not a big fan of fruit so don't each much of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Mine are now regular after not having one for over 6 months when I was first diagnosed. I lost about 2 stone and they came back (not saying this is something you need to do as of course I have no idea of your circumstances!). Losing weight and regular exercise did help my symptoms a lot, and I also added a lot more salad and veg into my diet. I have a bit of salad with my tea every evening and try to get a better variety of veg than I was before. I'm not a big fan of fruit so don't each much of that.
I absolutely need to lose weight so this message has motivated me! Thank you so much x

• Heart
Has anyone found a way of losing weight with PCOS that actually works? Go on holiday in May with my husband and 8 year old and been trying to lose weight pretty much since I had my child but I’ve gained around 2/3 stone since then and nothing seems to shift it no matter what I eat/how much I move or how little I eat! So frustrating and would love to feel more comfortable on holiday too. I’ve been out on metformin for over 2 months but felt like it made me not go to the toilet for around 5 days at a time and the bloating and tummy pain was awful so considering stopping that. Any advice would be great! Willing to try anything at this point! I’m sure I have insulin resistance PCOS if that makes any difference.

Has anyone found a way of losing weight with PCOS that actually works? Go on holiday in May with my husband and 8 year old and been trying to lose weight pretty much since I had my child but I’ve gained around 2/3 stone since then and nothing seems to shift it no matter what I eat/how much I move or how little I eat! So frustrating and would love to feel more comfortable on holiday too. I’ve been out on metformin for over 2 months but felt like it made me not go to the toilet for around 5 days at a time and the bloating and tummy pain was awful so considering stopping that. Any advice would be great! Willing to try anything at this point! I’m sure I have insulin resistance PCOS if that makes any difference.
The only thing that has helped me is low sugar, low carb diet with lots of protein, seeds, veg. Alongside supplements inositol, berberine and alpha lipoic. Alongside Metformin. I didn’t see a difference until I had a total lifestyle change.

Reactions: 5
I have found the tips from these two super helpful!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I genuinely think I’ve got PCOS. I’ve been tracking my period since coming off the place in May of last year. And they’re showing as irregular (but only by a couple of days for my age range BUT I still have a period every month though), I’ve got hair every (chin, etc!), I’ve got stabbing pain where my ovaries are, I did a blood test that I bought off a website that tests female test and the testosterone was through the roof!!

And I’m struggling to lose weight too, unless I starve myself which I obviously don’t do. And majority of my weight sit on my stomach.

luckily I’ve got private healthcare with work & I spoke to a GP through work who assigned me to a- can’t remember what they’re job title is now (currently hungover) but someone with reproductive experience hahaha but I never followed it up. As I want to lose all my extra weight, I’m tempted to go back and follow it up. What do you all think? I’m scared that they’ll come back and be like nah it’s all in your head!

• Heart
I genuinely think I’ve got PCOS. I’ve been tracking my period since coming off the place in May of last year. And they’re showing as irregular (but only by a couple of days for my age range BUT I still have a period every month though), I’ve got hair every (chin, etc!), I’ve got stabbing pain where my ovaries are, I did a blood test that I bought off a website that tests female test and the testosterone was through the roof!!

And I’m struggling to lose weight too, unless I starve myself which I obviously don’t do. And majority of my weight sit on my stomach.

luckily I’ve got private healthcare with work & I spoke to a GP through work who assigned me to a- can’t remember what they’re job title is now (currently hungover) but someone with reproductive experience hahaha but I never followed it up. As I want to lose all my extra weight, I’m tempted to go back and follow it up. What do you all think? I’m scared that they’ll come back and be like nah it’s all in your head!
Ask them for an internal ultrasound to check

I have regular periods every Month. I was diagnosed from the bloods showing the same as yours and an interval ultrasound. I would defiantly go back

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It sounds selfish to say but it’s good to know of other people who have similar experiences! It can be so isolating especially when you have doctors that don’t take you seriously.
I ended up booking a gp appointment last week with another doctor at my practice and thank goodness I did. She was absolutely amazing, was confused why I hadn’t been tested for pcos before! I told her the stuff was other doctors had said and she was very quick to shut them down. I cried in front of her haha. She took my bloods and has put me on the list for a TV ultrasound. I’ve checked the NHS app just before too and it looks as though my blood tests results came back showing (very 😬) high prolactin levels (>800mIU/L- normal range is 102-496!) and testosterone is above normal range too. Hopefully the doctor will call to discuss as googling is just causing me to spiral lol
Hey everyone, I thought I’d update as I have since had an ultrasound and seen the GP! My scan came back as abnormal, with “small follicles around the periphery”. More than would be classed as normal but apparently not enough to be an obvious case of PCOS. Strangely, one of my ovaries was much larger than the other (13ml vs 6ml) however my gp said this is fine? But everything I’ve seen online has suggested it’s more a sign of pcos?

as my bloods and scan are borderline, my gp requested advice from endocrinology who have since got back and asked I be seen at their clinic for further investigation.

although no answers yet, it already feels like such a big weight is off my shoulders from being pushed aside constantly and wondering what if. Just knowing that my bloods and scans are showing results that are even slightly abnormal is enough to make me feel like I’m not mad! The GP I’ve been seeing has been wonderful. She is very open to the fact I don’t want to go on the pill too.

if anyone has been in a similar situation with borderline test results please do let me know!! I’ll update again once I’ve seen endocrinology 😊

• Heart

I've always had regular periods, apart from when I was first diagnosed. It's an endocrinologist you need to see to be diagnosed.

@boomska i have similar symptoms to you and got a pcos diagnosis, you can be diagnosed without a scan if you meet the other two criteria! my regular bloods include gonadotrophin, testosterone, androgens, SHBG and hba1c (blood sugar) for reference. i've been to see both gynae and endocrinology so could be one or both of those - good luck!! i'd also suggest asking them to check your thyroid as they can be linked!

@boomska i have similar symptoms to you and got a pcos diagnosis, you can be diagnosed without a scan if you meet the other two criteria! my regular bloods include gonadotrophin, testosterone, androgens, SHBG and hba1c (blood sugar) for reference. i've been to see both gynae and endocrinology so could be one or both of those - good luck!! i'd also suggest asking them to check your thyroid as they can be linked!
Ahhh thank you so much!! 🥰 I’ll definitely get looked into it Monday. Thanks everyone for their support!

this is my results were last time I did my own blood test at home.

Attachments