PCOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My sister has PCOS, she had to have IVF for her child but my friend also has it and she got pregnant without even trying so everyone is different! I went to the GP and we had to be trying for at least a year before they would offer any help, I don’t know what your situation is but just in case x
Thanks, that gives me some hope 🙏🏻😇 x

Reactions: 1
I've noticed for a while, that my period is practically nothing each month, although in the past it could be quite heavy

I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I've found my periods are really really light whenever I have them as well as very irregular. I know irregular periods are part of the symptoms but does anyone else get really light periods? Sorry for the TMI but I used to have heavy periods and enough to fill a pad with bright red blood, now the blood is mainly beigy brown and rarely is bright red coloured and the amount of blood would be enough to fill a tena lady. I'm worried as I really want children and if my periods aren't even working properly or how they used to I think it's game over for me being able to have a baby 😩
I have this too try not to worry, my periods are very light just spotting some months they are a little heavier but only last a day like that and irregular. As others have said plenty of people with pcos go onto have babies with no help at all and sometimes it takes a little longer but there is plenty that can be done to help

I have this too try not to worry, my periods are very light just spotting some months they are a little heavier but only last a day like that and irregular. As others have said plenty of people with pcos go onto have babies with no help at all and sometimes it takes a little longer but there is plenty that can be done to help
Thanks, the period issue's been on my mind as I haven't got my appointment with my endo til December otherwise I'd have spoken to them about it and my periods have started since I last spoke to her (I was on the implant and it expired so had it taken out so my periods have started since I last spoke to my endo nurse but have been light and irregular). It gives me hope to hear that women can have children with this condition as when I said to my endo oh great so that means I may not be able to have children she just replied yes 😐

Thanks, the period issue's been on my mind as I haven't got my appointment with my endo til December otherwise I'd have spoken to them about it and my periods have started since I last spoke to her (I was on the implant and it expired so had it taken out so my periods have started since I last spoke to my endo nurse but have been light and irregular). It gives me hope to hear that women can have children with this condition as when I said to my endo oh great so that means I may not be able to have children she just replied yes 😐
The doctors really don’t have a clue about pcos or how to treat it and often come out with really bad advice, each doctor I’ve spoken to has told me something completely different. I am down the fertility route with my gynaecologist for treatment as we have been trying for a while and he has recommended clomid to help me ovulate which is meant to be very effective. If that doesn’t work there are lots of other options before IVF is even considered. I also know people with pcos who have got pregnant with no help and has come as a shock (as they were told it would be difficult). I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry there is plenty of help out there if it comes to that

Reactions: 5
The doctors really don’t have a clue about pcos or how to treat it and often come out with really bad advice, each doctor I’ve spoken to has told me something completely different. I am down the fertility route with my gynaecologist for treatment as we have been trying for a while and he has recommended clomid to help me ovulate which is meant to be very effective. If that doesn’t work there are lots of other options before IVF is even considered. I also know people with pcos who have got pregnant with no help and has come as a shock (as they were told it would be difficult). I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry there is plenty of help out there if it comes to that
Thanks for reassuring me, that's my experience when it comes to women's health - they have no clue. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thanks for reassuring me, that's my experience when it comes to women's health - they have no clue. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you x
Hi! I also have PCOS ánd a beautiful 8 month old daughter. I've written about my experiences here before.
Because of PCOS my periods just suddenly stopped for months on end. Went to see my GP, who referred me to a gynaecologist.
Started with clomid, then letrozole (as clomid was temporarily unavailable) and got pregnant after six cycles with that medication.
All in all, we started trying naturally in september 2019, I went to the gynaecologist and started treatment in august 2020 and fell pregnant early in 2021 right before our appointment at fertility. Gave birth to my daughter in october 2021.
It was a hard journey, but it was so worth it.
My SIL is due to give birth to her second son soon and she also has PCOS. She had to use injections. There are loads of options out there!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I've found my periods are really really light whenever I have them as well as very irregular. I know irregular periods are part of the symptoms but does anyone else get really light periods? Sorry for the TMI but I used to have heavy periods and enough to fill a pad with bright red blood, now the blood is mainly beigy brown and rarely is bright red coloured and the amount of blood would be enough to fill a tena lady. I'm worried as I really want children and if my periods aren't even working properly or how they used to I think it's game over for me being able to have a baby 😩
I was told by my GP that if I was having periods I could get pregnant because it means you are ovulating. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1998 and my flow has varied a lot in that time, yours will too, it's normal to have changes throughout your life

Hi! I also have PCOS ánd a beautiful 8 month old daughter. I've written about my experiences here before.
Because of PCOS my periods just suddenly stopped for months on end. Went to see my GP, who referred me to a gynaecologist.
Started with clomid, then letrozole (as clomid was temporarily unavailable) and got pregnant after six cycles with that medication.
All in all, we started trying naturally in september 2019, I went to the gynaecologist and started treatment in august 2020 and fell pregnant early in 2021 right before our appointment at fertility. Gave birth to my daughter in october 2021.
It was a hard journey, but it was so worth it.
My SIL is due to give birth to her second son soon and she also has PCOS. She had to use injections. There are loads of options out there!
Hey, that's great to hear. I'm glad you had success and managed to have a baby. It gives me some relief as I've been feeling quite low since my diagnosis and worried. I didn't realise that there were so many options, and thought it was unlikely I'd be able to. Thanks for sharing your story as it's made me feel a little bit better ❤

I was told by my GP that if I was having periods I could get pregnant because it means you are ovulating. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1998 and my flow has varied a lot in that time, yours will too, it's normal to have changes throughout your life
I came off some contraception at the end of last year, got my first period in March but it was beigy and then had another in April and that was beigy, in April/May I had a period just over two weeks apart from each other with more of a red normal colour (sorry but I'm confused with it all, it's a new diagnosis) and since then they've stopped again. I had to take the provera tablet for 14 days and on the last day my period came. I've had my period a few days now and a lot of cramping but that's what was worrying me as my periods were coming and then stopped again since my last one in May. Luckily the provera tablet has pushed a period but I hate them being irregular 🙄

Last edited:
  • Heart
Just found this thread, just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps with thinning head hair, I'm getting really insecure about it. So annoying how my hair grows so thick everywhere else! :rolleyes:

Just found this thread, just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps with thinning head hair, I'm getting really insecure about it. So annoying how my hair grows so thick everywhere else! :rolleyes:
Would love to know this too! So unfair that that’s the one place we lose it!

hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me? I have endometriosis, I was diagnosed a few years ago but I suspect I also have PCOS, how were all of you diagnosed? Was it with a blood test, or ecography etc? thank you 😇

hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me? I have endometriosis, I was diagnosed a few years ago but I suspect I also have PCOS, how were all of you diagnosed? Was it with a blood test, or ecography etc? thank you 😇
Hi! I’ve recently been diagnosed with adenomyosis and PCOS (both within a week). I got diagnosed with adenomyosis via pelvic ultrasounds that showed a thickened uterus and abnormalities! The doctors ruled out PCOS as I didn’t have any cysts on my ovaries but I knew I had it as I had a lot of the symptoms (weight gain, excess hair, newly irregular periods, fatigue and inability to lose weight) so begged them for a blood test which came back with high testosterone and prolactin levels: therefore, suspected PCOS. The doctor has endocrinology look at it and they also agreed that the diagnosis was PCOS based on my bloods and irregular periods. Hope that helps! Wouldn’t wish this on anyone it’s so horrible😞

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi they usually need two of the three following things to diagnose:

Cysts on ovaries (diagnosed through ultrasound scan)
Certain elevated hormones (diagnosed through blood test)
Typical symptoms (such as excess body and face hair, being overweight and thinning hair on head)

So for example even though I have the classic symptoms I’ve been told I don’t have it as my ovarian scans and bloods all came back normal.

It also means you can have PCOS without actually having ovarian cysts, as the symptoms and bloods can be enough to diagnose.

• Heart
I’ve got symptoms and also cysts on my ovaries seen on a ultrasound. I haven’t had a blood test.

Anyone really struggle with weight loss? Has your doctor been able to provide any advice/support?
feel like I’m doing all the right things but not seeing results

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Anyone really struggle with weight loss? Has your doctor been able to provide any advice/support?
keto is the only thing that actually works for me. My symptoms are also less severe when on this diet

My doctor offered me an appointment with a dietician but I’ve lost weight in the past so I said no. I just count calories and try to eat more high protein stuff.. I try to do 10k steps a day and it works for me, it’s just a bit slow

• Heart
Been diagnosed with PCOS since November (I’ve seen 10+ gynaecologists as ttc)
I have irregular cycle lasting 1-4 days to 4-60 days different flows each time.
Diagnosed through ultrasound & blood levels. Have no typical signs of pcos such excess hair etc.
I got prescribed metformin and it’s been horrid I took it until last month, while on metformin by symptoms got worse! Acne, excess hair etc and since I’ve been off them my skins clearing up etc. it’s really strange but I’ve got an appointment next month to check it all.

• Heart