PCOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey,
I've recently been told I have PCOS after fertility struggles - I'd never heard of PCOS prior to this, but after speaking to my GP and them informing me of the symptoms it seems this has always been a part of my adult life.
I'm 27, have acne break outs often, very very irregular period (last one 7 months ago, prior to that,1.5 years ago), thinning hair, scalp is itchy, have put on weight in the last 2 years with no change in diet (figured this was me getting closer to 30) and can't shift any weight! I'm active and eat healthy but nothing is working.
With everything going on at the moment my GP has said that any treatment isn't going to be quick, so any advice on loosing weight and managing symptoms would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1
Hey,
I've recently been told I have PCOS after fertility struggles - I'd never heard of PCOS prior to this, but after speaking to my GP and them informing me of the symptoms it seems this has always been a part of my adult life.
I'm 27, have acne break outs often, very very irregular period (last one 7 months ago, prior to that,1.5 years ago), thinning hair, scalp is itchy, have put on weight in the last 2 years with no change in diet (figured this was me getting closer to 30) and can't shift any weight! I'm active and eat healthy but nothing is working.
With everything going on at the moment my GP has said that any treatment isn't going to be quick, so any advice on loosing weight and managing symptoms would be greatly appreciated!
Hey! You’re in a very similar boat to me- it’s a bit tit but I’ve done a fair bit of research and found the following worked for me:
- limit carbs (tit) but apparently they increase your insulin levels. I now focus on complex carbohydrates which raise your blood sugar levels slowly
- walk at least 10k steps a day (you’ll be surprised how much this can impact your weight)
- I decided to pay for a private gynaecologist session (aware you might not be in the same boat and able to do so) but I’m just really impatient haha. She put me on hormone replacement therapy for 3 months (which sorted out my skin!) but also increased the hormone that I am missing. She also advised that I took solgar folate and solgar inositol daily (you can get these either at Holland and B or on Amazon) - I’m no expert so would advise you do your own research here but I found they sped up my metabolism. Good luck looking into it all, there’s lots of options xx

Reactions: 2
I have PCOS , I was diagnosed at 19 , I'm now 35 😫 . I wish someone could just wave a magic wand on my weight issues. I previously lost 4 stone ( I have always had a weight problem from childhood) . Since having my son , it's all gone back on but I've yoyod for 8 years now.
I was lucky enough that my doctor let me try Metformin a few years ago , but I couldn't cope with the severe digestive issues it gave me. The last time I had a scan and in previous times , I didn't have any cysts on my overies , it's more the elevated Testosterone levels on me. Other than the Metformin , and roaccutane for acne I've never been offered any other treatments beyond the usual Advise of " lose weight" 🤔🙈
Id love to hear of things people have experimented with and any helpful advise.
I did try this Inositol , many many years ago and it wasn't readily available then , I had in powder form and I don't remember it having any affect on me at all, but I'm not sure if it's the same and the stuff I'm reading lately as. , Myo Inositol

I just had a blood test results come back and my doctor thinks I might have PCOS but have been referred for a scan to confirm the diagnosis.

I have always struggled with mild acne, and have some excess weight on my belly but have lost 8lb over the past month due to calorie counting. I also have very low libido which I'm hoping I can reverse if I manage the symptoms.

My doctor has been great and referred me straight away for a test when I called him about missed periods. I'm not too bothered about that as I don't want children but just wanted to check nothing serious was wrong (general health wise).

He said the condition should be manageable if I lose weight, less sugar and more exercise. But I see a lot of people don't seem to have this experience and need medication. Has anyone here changed their lifestyle and it helped with symptoms? I want to know what to expect as I have no idea!

I’ve got PCOS, had very irregular periods in my 20s, and had issues with cysts, weight gain and hair. Lost some weight and got pregnant naturally after 12 months (did use Agnus cactus). After my 1st my periods went totally normal, and I got pregnant with my 2nd the second attempt. Supposedly after you have had a baby sometimes your body works out what it is meant to be doing 😂

I just had a blood test results come back and my doctor thinks I might have PCOS but have been referred for a scan to confirm the diagnosis.

I have always struggled with mild acne, and have some excess weight on my belly but have lost 8lb over the past month due to calorie counting. I also have very low libido which I'm hoping I can reverse if I manage the symptoms.

My doctor has been great and referred me straight away for a test when I called him about missed periods. I'm not too bothered about that as I don't want children but just wanted to check nothing serious was wrong (general health wise).

He said the condition should be manageable if I lose weight, less sugar and more exercise. But I see a lot of people don't seem to have this experience and need medication. Has anyone here changed their lifestyle and it helped with symptoms? I want to know what to expect as I have no idea!
I've never needed medication to deal with PCOS, I've always been on the larger side but have never had acne. However, I've recently started taking Myo inositol which is supposed to help with many PCOS symptoms. I have noticed that my periods have got heavier and a bit painful since I started taking it and I'm hoping that's a positive, I'm yet to see any changes in weight and hursuitism. Can I just say though, if you don't want children, PCOS doesn't necessarily make you infertile, you can definitely still get pregnant (if you are having periods, you are ovulating) so take other precautions.

I have PCOS. I was diagnosed in my early 20s by ultrasound, they were looking for endometriosis and found my lovely spotty ovaries instead.
I don’t have any ‘outward’ symptoms apart from I gain weight by looking at food and it’s very hard to loose it apart from ultra low carb or low calorie. I was previously on metformin but my GP took my off as he didn’t believe it worked, despite plenty of evidence showing it does. I am thinking of asking to be put back on it.
I was previously diagnosed with clinical depression, most likely due to PCOS, as there as no life event or situation which appeared to trigger it. I was on up 60mg of fluoxetine however since covid lockdown one I am medication free. Being able to work From home and get more exercise has really helped and mentally I am a different person to what I was.

Reactions: 3
hey! I have PCOS and was diagnosed when I was around 17 after being in hospital with a burst ovarian cyst, I'm 25 now. My current form of contraception is the implant in my arm, however I am considering having it removed as I have bled constantly since having it in before Christmas and my skin, mood swings and anxiety have never been worse. I'm just cautious whether this is due to having PCOS or the implant. I'm wondering if any of you have suffered with PCOS which has caused issued with contraception - more specifically the implant?

hey! I have PCOS and was diagnosed when I was around 17 after being in hospital with a burst ovarian cyst, I'm 25 now. My current form of contraception is the implant in my arm, however I am considering having it removed as I have bled constantly since having it in before Christmas and my skin, mood swings and anxiety have never been worse. I'm just cautious whether this is due to having PCOS or the implant. I'm wondering if any of you have suffered with PCOS which has caused issued with contraception - more specifically the implant?
Hi there hope you’re ok. I don’t know anything about the implant unfortunately. I have the copper coil cos I didn’t want any extra hormones making things more complicated. How are you feeling now? My PCOS symptoms are worse than ever at the moment I’m so fed up with it

Hello! This thread just popped up so thought I’d reply. I was on the implant for 9 years all together (had it changed 3 times) and had no periods on it whatsoever. I came off it just over a year ago and that’s when my PCOS symptoms really started. I’ve had hair growth, acne and weight gain. While on the implant it seemed to keep these a bit more in control. If it’s making you bleed constantly though I would deffo look at getting something new. Appreciate your original post was almost 2 months ago so you may have done that now! Hope all is ok x

Kinda hoping to revive this thread again cos it’s crap having no one to talk to about PCOS especially when it’s making you feel so tit

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Kinda hoping to revive this thread again cos it’s crap having no one to talk to about PCOS especially when it’s making you feel so tit
Yes! I got my official diagnosis today. I already was sure I had it from blood test and symptoms but scan confirmed it today. I don't know anyone who has it so good to have a thread.

I'm going to try and lose weight and see if it helps symptoms.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I know PCOS is so different in everyone and people have different symptoms and severities but one thing I’ve found to be the most important to control is my stress levels (easier said than done I know!) but I find the more effort I put in reducing stress, the easier I find losing weight and getting good sleep etc which then improves my symptoms overall. The mistake I made at first was thinking about all the lifestyle changes I needed to make to improve my PCOS which then made me stressed which just put me back to square one! I’ve still got a long way to go with my weight loss but personally for me it always starts with good mental health. Anyway, sorry for the ramble!

I know PCOS is so different in everyone and people have different symptoms and severities but one thing I’ve found to be the most important to control is my stress levels (easier said than done I know!) but I find the more effort I put in reducing stress, the easier I find losing weight and getting good sleep etc which then improves my symptoms overall. The mistake I made at first was thinking about all the lifestyle changes I needed to make to improve my PCOS which then made me stressed which just put me back to square one! I’ve still got a long way to go with my weight loss but personally for me it always starts with good mental health. Anyway, sorry for the ramble!
Mental health is one of the hardest things for me 😩 just constantly feeling so low and tearful and such severe mood swings! And all the other symptoms don’t help. I never have energy and could easily sleep all day which is so frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I’ve only just seen this thread, I relate to this so much! I have a part time admin job which I do from home but I got another part time job for a bit of extra money in a supermarket and I’m really struggling getting enough sleep, having time to clean the house etc which is making me more stressed than my money situation was! I don’t know what to do as I really enjoy having the money but feel as though it’s not helping me to lose weight, manage my symptoms etc. Me and my partner have been trying for a baby for nearly 2 years, I have to lose another stone before we can get any help (crappy bmi)

Sorry for the random rant just don’t really have anyone who understands how rubbish it is having pcos. My sister has it as well but we’re not very close so I wouldn’t go into detail about my feelings and whatnot with her

I’ve only just seen this thread, I relate to this so much! I have a part time admin job which I do from home but I got another part time job for a bit of extra money in a supermarket and I’m really struggling getting enough sleep, having time to clean the house etc which is making me more stressed than my money situation was! I don’t know what to do as I really enjoy having the money but feel as though it’s not helping me to lose weight, manage my symptoms etc. Me and my partner have been trying for a baby for nearly 2 years, I have to lose another stone before we can get any help (crappy bmi)

Sorry for the random rant just don’t really have anyone who understands how rubbish it is having pcos. My sister has it as well but we’re not very close so I wouldn’t go into detail about my feelings and whatnot with her
Don’t get me started on BMI 😭! We’ve been trying for a baby for just over a year now. I’ve got a telephone consultation next week and I know they are just going to tell me to come back when I’ve lost weight. It is so difficult and frustrating.
I totally relate to the work/life balance and not keeping up with cleaning and sleeping etc. It just makes everything 100x worse! I feel I’m in a fairly good place at the moment but I’ve had to put myself into a really strict routine of going to bed at a certain time, preparing my meals in advance so I don’t eat rubbish and then doing little bits around the house when I have time. As soon as I fall out of a routine even in the slightest it throws everything else out the window!! It’s a constant battle 😩

Don’t get me started on BMI 😭! We’ve been trying for a baby for just over a year now. I’ve got a telephone consultation next week and I know they are just going to tell me to come back when I’ve lost weight. It is so difficult and frustrating.
I totally relate to the work/life balance and not keeping up with cleaning and sleeping etc. It just makes everything 100x worse! I feel I’m in a fairly good place at the moment but I’ve had to put myself into a really strict routine of going to bed at a certain time, preparing my meals in advance so I don’t eat rubbish and then doing little bits around the house when I have time. As soon as I fall out of a routine even in the slightest it throws everything else out the window!! It’s a constant battle 😩
BMI is ridiculous isn’t it, if I was 2 inches taller my bmi would be ok 🤦🏽‍♀️ My sisters doctor allowed her to go through testing whilst she lost weight but would only be allowed to have any treatment once she lost the weight!

I’m the same as you and need a good 8+ hours sleep to be able to function well the next day! I am tempted to give up my second job but having extra money makes life easier doesn’t it!

Just curious when did everyone find out they had PCOS? I came off the pill and my periods were months apart, I thought my hormones were just readjusting as I’d been on it for 7/8 years. I only went to the GP as my sister has it other wise I probably wouldn’t have gone at all!

Last edited:
What things do you do to manage your stress levels?

Just curious when did everyone find out they had PCOS? I came off the pill and my periods were months apart, I thought my hormones were just readjusting as I’d been on it for 7/8 years. I only went to the GP as my sister has it other wise I probably wouldn’t have gone at all!
I found out 10 years ago when I was 18/19. I can’t remember what triggered my doctor to send me for tests but it was probably my cystic acne. I’ve received no help over those 10 years, it’s really crap. I was told by a doctor last year when I phoned up about something else that I need to have my blood tests done and I was like “sorry blood tests for what?” and she told me with PCOS you’re supposed to have your bloods done every year. First I’d heard of it 🤷‍♀️ And I still don’t get called to get them done.

Is sleep something to do with PCOS? I always need a good night sleep or I really struggle but didn't realise they were related.

I found out as I had 4 months without a period which is unusual for me. I was actually kind of relieved to find out, obviously I would rather not have it but it explained my acne which I have always struggled with and also I've had really low libido so was good to have an explanation so that I can try and work on improving symptoms.

I have a lot to learn really about how to adjust my lifestyle and what PCOS can cause.

I found out 10 years ago when I was 18/19. I can’t remember what triggered my doctor to send me for tests but it was probably my cystic acne. I’ve received no help over those 10 years, it’s really crap. I was told by a doctor last year when I phoned up about something else that I need to have my blood tests done and I was like “sorry blood tests for what?” and she told me with PCOS you’re supposed to have your bloods done every year. First I’d heard of it 🤷‍♀️ And I still don’t get called to get them done.
I didn't know I had to get bloods done every year either my doctor didn't say. He just said when I get pregnant I need to tell the nurse and be tested for pregnancy diabetes and if I don't get my periods back he can give me medicine for that. I don't want kids anyway so wasn't relevant for me but that's all he seemed interested in really - how it would affect fertility. Obviously I know that's important but he didn't seem interested in discussing any other issues.