PCOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nice to see a thread on this as I haven’t got any one to speak to about it in real life! I was diagnosed 17 years ago and luckily managed to have my kids without any difficulty, but now I’m older I rarely have a period and have every symptom going. I was on the mini pill for a year to try and stabilise my hormones which worked but I came off it last month to try for a baby and nothing. Sore boobs and cramps, no bleed or period, negative pregnancy test and now massively paranoid I’m entering early menopause! Has anyone tried any medication that’s helped at all? My doctor is tit so I know they won’t be much use and to be honest I’m scared to hear potential bad news

Nice to see a thread on this as I haven’t got any one to speak to about it in real life! I was diagnosed 17 years ago and luckily managed to have my kids without any difficulty, but now I’m older I rarely have a period and have every symptom going. I was on the mini pill for a year to try and stabilise my hormones which worked but I came off it last month to try for a baby and nothing. Sore boobs and cramps, no bleed or period, negative pregnancy test and now massively paranoid I’m entering early menopause! Has anyone tried any medication that’s helped at all? My doctor is tit so I know they won’t be much use and to be honest I’m scared to hear potential bad news
Hi!🙂 commonly people take metformin (prescription) and/or inositol (natural supplement). They’re the ones you hear about the most! It’s reassuring to hear you had children as I’ve recently been diagnosed aged 22 with PCOS and adenomyosis and my biggest fear is not being able to conceive🥲 so terrifying to be diagnosed at a young age as well, seems as though no one understands! Hope it all works out for you❤‍🩹

Couldn’t see a thread for those of us blessed with PCOS but please do redirect me if there is something!
I’ve recently been told I’ve got PCOS by a gynaecologist after a few years of knowing deep down I probably did. Have had trouble with periods, skin issues and facial hair 😫
I’ve been put on a 3 month course of HRT using progesterone... I wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences and how they found it?
i was diagnosed july last year because my periods disappeared not long after stopping pill and starting ttc. nearly 2 years later and no baby might need ivf :(

Hi!🙂 commonly people take metformin (prescription) and/or inositol (natural supplement). They’re the ones you hear about the most! It’s reassuring to hear you had children as I’ve recently been diagnosed aged 22 with PCOS and adenomyosis and my biggest fear is not being able to conceive🥲 so terrifying to be diagnosed at a young age as well, seems as though no one understands! Hope it all works out for you❤‍🩹
hi I’ve ordered some inositol to try but for some reason I’ve never been prescribed metformin. It is daunting but there’s always hope, you’re young and have a good chance so try not to worry. I had my elder children at 20 and 22 it wasn’t until my 30s the symptoms worsened. It’s a real shame they haven’t tried to work on a cure/ good treatment considering a large percentage of women suffer with this.

Hello! So glad to find this!

I got diagnosed earlier this year with PCOS after not having a period for over a year. I've recently been prescribed Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) to basically give me a period. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I had my first bleed a couple of weeks ago, which lasted for about 6 days and stopped. Two weeks on I'm bleeding again??? All a bit confusing

Hello! So glad to find this!

I got diagnosed earlier this year with PCOS after not having a period for over a year. I've recently been prescribed Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) to basically give me a period. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I had my first bleed a couple of weeks ago, which lasted for about 6 days and stopped. Two weeks on I'm bleeding again??? All a bit confusing
I had to take Provera to bring a period on for the first time end of July/last month. I had really strong cramping and then had a proper period, still much lighter than they used to be but it was a period that lasted for a week with strong cramping. Period came on the 14th day of taking provera.

Then I had to take provera again as it's been over 4 weeks without a period and my period has come 4 days after finishing the provera pack and it's really light this time with hardly any cramping. My periods always used to be heavy and fill a pad but since getting PCOS they've turned very very light, mostly spotting.

Does anyone have any advice on ways to prevent hair loss? My hair is feeling thinner and I'm worried it will eventually end up with a bald spot!

Does anyone have any advice on ways to prevent hair loss? My hair is feeling thinner and I'm worried it will eventually end up with a bald spot!
Take a blood test to understand if there are any other underlying issues. Alternatively use Biotin, this has stopped my hair falling out. This can ve available from Holland and Barrett or Amazon.

Reactions: 2
I’ve not used biotin personally but on a different thread several girls recommended it for hair loss xx

Take a blood test to understand if there are any other underlying issues. Alternatively use Biotin, this has stopped my hair falling out. This can ve available from Holland and Barrett or Amazon.
Thank you, I'll have a look into it! I had a full blood check up recently and pretty certain it's to do with PCOS.

Has anyone come across any helpful websites, YouTube channels or books on PCOS? I have read a lot through Google searches but interested in any particularly helpful resources to learn more.

hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me? I have endometriosis, I was diagnosed a few years ago but I suspect I also have PCOS, how were all of you diagnosed? Was it with a blood test, or ecography etc? thank you 😇
coming back to say I also was diagnosed with PCOS this morning - he said my ovaries were full of cysts 😔, he also told me to lose 2 or 3 kg which I know isn't alot but I'm v body conscious and it made me cry. As I'm not ttc he has changed the pill I'm on but warned me that it might be difficult when I do want to start, v emotional morning!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It’s nice to be ‘labelled’ but it does make things much easier to understand. What pill have you been put on?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
coming back to say I also was diagnosed with PCOS this morning - he said my ovaries were full of cysts 😔, he also told me to lose 2 or 3 kg which I know isn't alot but I'm v body conscious and it made me cry. As I'm not ttc he has changed the pill I'm on but warned me that it might be difficult when I do want to start, v emotional morning!
I think being told to lose weight isn’t nice to hear no matter how confident/what size you are so you aren’t definitely not alone, it knocked me quite a bit! Especially when having pcos can make it harder to lose weight x

• Heart
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It’s nice to be ‘labelled’ but it does make things much easier to understand. What pill have you been put on?
it's called adepal but may also be known as minidril - after reading about it online for a bit it says that it is useful in cases of weight gain, abdominal pain and spotting etc which is good to know I suppose!

It’s both great and sad that you finally have a diagnosis and I hope you’re feeling okay. How old are you?
It’s very frustrating when doctors tell you to lose weight because PCOS is so often the reason for weight gain, but I believe losing weight can help with a lot of the symptoms caused by PCOS. It’s very mentally draining hearing what doctors say but there’s so much science and help online that they never refer to.

• Heart
It’s both great and sad that you finally have a diagnosis and I hope you’re feeling okay. How old are you?
It’s very frustrating when doctors tell you to lose weight because PCOS is so often the reason for weight gain, but I believe losing weight can help with a lot of the symptoms caused by PCOS. It’s very mentally draining hearing what doctors say but there’s so much science and help online that they never refer to.
I'm just feeling a bit emotional, but my bf was with me and he was really supportive. I wear a UK size 8, so to be told I need to lose a few kgs was a bit shocking - although tbh, I do have this belly pouch that just can't seem be shifted! any advice anyone has in terms of anything I would really appreciate. I'm so glad there's a thread about it so I have people I can talk to who'll understand 💘
thanks to those who've replied x

If you are a size 8 then in all honesty I would ignore the GP. If you wish to amend your diet you could go down the low carb/ low GI route.

• Heart
I'm just feeling a bit emotional, but my bf was with me and he was really supportive. I wear a UK size 8, so to be told I need to lose a few kgs was a bit shocking - although tbh, I do have this belly pouch that just can't seem be shifted! any advice anyone has in terms of anything I would really appreciate. I'm so glad there's a thread about it so I have people I can talk to who'll understand 💘
I’m glad you had someone there with you. That is absolutely CRAZY to be told to lose weight as a UK size 8!!!!!! Everyone has a belly pouch, it’s there to protect your organs etc try not to worry about it - I’m sure you’re fine the way you are 🥰

healthypcos_ (my fave account)
pcos.weightloss
thepcosnutritionist
pcosnutrition

are some of my fave accounts for learning about pcos and ways to help manage any symptoms etc - I would start there and there is a community on tiktok and youtube for it too x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time. I’ve just seen the comments that you’re a size 8 so I really don’t see why you should be losing 2 or 3 kg which although isn’t that much weight for a lot of people I would imagine at your size it actually is quite a lot to lose. I’m no Dr but I wouldn’t worry about losing it tbh. And I know it’s cliche but loads of people with PCOS manage to get pregnant either with or without the help of medication so please try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know) 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What height are you? I'm not actually expecting you to answer that, your Dr has possibly been inappropriate with this advice but my niece is 5ft and wears a size 8 and she is a touch overweight, she hasn't been told to lose any weight by her GP though.

You have said you have a bit of a belly, which is a result of PCOS, I have it myself and it is difficult to get rid of it, I've tried for years. The best thing is to try and reduce your carbs, I've been using berberine for a few months and that has helped a little.

• Heart