Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

!noseyparker!

I've recently been diagnosed and told to lose weight. I was planning on trying to exercise more even before this diagnosis, but I prefer not thinking about my diet. Long story but I had a bad relationship with food in my early twenties and since then I eat healthily but didn't beat myself up about an extra slice of toast in the morning or a square of chocolate before bed. It used to take up so much brain space worrying about food and already I feel that happening - feeling guilty and crabby and I don't like it.

I am hoping increased exercise will help and only slight diet shifts (I already eat a lot of veg/ particularly broccoli/ don't drink soda/ eat few processed foods/ make my own bread) but has anyone else experienced something similar? Having a bad relationship with food/ having a good relationship/ now possibly needing to think about food again?

Any advice/ suggestions would be appreciated!

• Heart
Reactions: 3

PennyLane321

I’ve not been diagnosed but I’m pretty sure I have it - irregular periods, excess hair and bad breakouts from time to time. I did some research and found a few pcos blogs who recommend spearmint tea because it reduces the level of testosterone in your body. I was skeptical but ordered it. I’ve now been drinking 1-2 cups a day for a year and I get my period probably every 35-40 days instead of 3 times a year. Also cutting down on sugar helps massively because it increases testosterone production. For the excess facial and body hair I opted to get laser treatment as it was the only permanent solution unfortunately :(

leapricot

I got diagnosed a few years ago when very suddenly, some facial hairs started growing, had terrible acne and my hair was so oily I could probably cook chips in it 🤷‍♀️.However, my periods have always been very regular so that's why I didn't think of PCOS straightaway.

I had blood tests and ultrasound but they couldn't see anything, yet my endocrinologist said that there were high chances that I had PCOS. I got put on Yasmin + Metformin and my acne has completely gone! I am just worried that if I ever stop Yasmin, it would just come back :(

It took a VERY long time to get diagnosed... But I am glad i got there in the end..

jackolantern

VIP Member
Does anyone have any other endocrine conditions? I also have hyperprolactinemia and hyperhydrosis and I'm sure they must all be linked. Just curious if anyone else has potentially associated conditions? My hormones fucking hate me lmao.

Donald23

VIP Member
I know most of us with PCOS struggle with weight but has anyone here lost some weight and then struggled to shift any more? I’ve been fortunate enough to lose nearly four stone but that still leaves me at 14 stone so obviously wanting to lose more, and I cannot for the life of me lose a single pound 😩 I’ve cut back even more on food and been doing lots of cardio, should I just accept my weight or is there hope?
Well done on losing 4 stone that’s a huge achievement!!
I think the increased cardio might be where you’re going wrong 😬 running and biking increases adrenaline which is bad for Pcos. You might be better cutting back on cardio and doing more weights.
I’ve found a mixture of weights and steady paced walks have helped me

Elsie1988

I was recently diagnosed and it has all sort of built up to me feeling really emotional about it today after seeing myself in a photo and having a secondary scan this week where the women looked concerned. I’ve been avoiding hormonal treatments due to past bad experiences. I tried a low form of Mayo-inositol for a few months and it did help me shift some weight but then with other stresses kept forgetting to take them and have seemed to come back on. Does anyone have any tips for weight loss, I don’t eat meat so thinking my carb heavy diet could be an issue? Can you be asked to be put on metformin as I’ve heard it works but haven’t been offered it just some active sessions that run during the work day
You can request to go on Metformin

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I got my blood results back and was very relieved to find that there's nothing in my body that produces hormones that shouldn't be producing them. Given the symptoms I explained the doctor said he would like to check on this specifically.
I didn't get a straight diagnosis for PCOS, but something else that was very interesting to me. They did a ton of blood tests and looked at some genes as well. Turns out I've a slight modification of a gene that deals with hormone sensitivity. The doc said it's "clinically unclear", which just means they don't know what it does, but in a couple of years, they might know more. It might make me a little more sensitive to male hormones, which could be a reason for excess hair.
I don't really mind that he wasn't able to tell me an exact diagnosis. And he was really excited about me being really excited about the genetics portion. I'm really interested in that and it seemed like many of his patients aren't :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

soymilk

VIP Member
What height are you? I'm not actually expecting you to answer that, your Dr has possibly been inappropriate with this advice but my niece is 5ft and wears a size 8 and she is a touch overweight, she hasn't been told to lose any weight by her GP though.

You have said you have a bit of a belly, which is a result of PCOS, I have it myself and it is difficult to get rid of it, I've tried for years. The best thing is to try and reduce your carbs, I've been using berberine for a few months and that has helped a little.
I'm just shy of 5'6, which is not small I know. Thank you for your reply and advice 💘

I feel you here, I am also a size 8 but quite short so my weight is close to being overweight. Being told to try and lose weight is so distressing for me because I already eat low calories and exercise a decent amount, feels like I'd have to starve myself to lose anymore. ♥
it's frustrating isn't it, especially when you know yourself if you're eating well and exercising. The symptoms are shit enough as it is!!

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
coming back to say I also was diagnosed with PCOS this morning - he said my ovaries were full of cysts 😔, he also told me to lose 2 or 3 kg which I know isn't alot but I'm v body conscious and it made me cry. As I'm not ttc he has changed the pill I'm on but warned me that it might be difficult when I do want to start, v emotional morning!
It’s both great and sad that you finally have a diagnosis and I hope you’re feeling okay. How old are you?
It’s very frustrating when doctors tell you to lose weight because PCOS is so often the reason for weight gain, but I believe losing weight can help with a lot of the symptoms caused by PCOS. It’s very mentally draining hearing what doctors say but there’s so much science and help online that they never refer to.

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
hi everyone! just wondering, do any of you take any supplements to help with symptoms etc and have you found them helpful and do any of you take alternative medication to the pill and how does that help you?
- interested to see bc I really hate being given a pill as the "only" solution 😒
Magnesium
Vitamin D
Myo-inositol (this is new to me)
Zinc
Evening Primrose
Omega 3

and I take metformin (this has helped insulin resistance and actually suppresses my hunger a bit) as a prescription! I do take the pill for context but plan to come off it in the next year as we’d like to try and have a baby and my endocrine consultant suggested coming off it soon for that reason. But Ive defo found differences from the above and introduced them one at a time. Magnesium helps with my tiredness as does the vitamin D, evening primrose for balancing hormones, zinc helps with skin and insulin resistance and a couple other things.

There’s others but look at healthy pcos on insta, pcos now mama, pcos nutritionist, etc and there’s loads of info there x

• Heart

bbbbbbb123

Chatty Member
I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, I’m pretty convinced I have pcos I have all the symptoms and I think it might be quite obvious, was just wondering what the doctor does is there any tests/blood work? I’m rather nervous so just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of what to expect?
I had blood tests and a scan x

Cao97x

Chatty Member
I have PCOS. Best person to see is an endocrinologist not a gynaecologist, as PCOS is an endocrine disorder. My endo consultant was incredible. My very first appointment I left feeling like finally somebody understood EVERYTHING that I always knew wasn’t right about me and told me what I needed to do to fix it. She really changed my life and although I still deal with symptoms, I am a lot more accepting of them now.

sleepflowers

VIP Member
Does anyone find theirselves being in low moods with PCOS? I have prolonged periods (lasting anywhere from a couple of weeks to months at a time) and during this time I feel so depressed, could it just be my messed up hormones?
It is an official symptom, I've had depression on and off for over 10 years now. Medication has helped a lot to manage it in the past few years. I can never tell whether hormones are the cause or whether they exacerbate what's already there!

• Heart

redroses

Couldn’t see a thread for those of us blessed with PCOS but please do redirect me if there is something!
I’ve recently been told I’ve got PCOS by a gynaecologist after a few years of knowing deep down I probably did. Have had trouble with periods, skin issues and facial hair 😫
I’ve been put on a 3 month course of HRT using progesterone... I wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences and how they found it?
I have PCOS. I had no period for two years, terrible skin and could not shed 1 pound. So i paid privately to get checked out. I was put on Dianette and it was the best thing ever. Ive never had skin issues or late periods anymore. I had got pregnant naturally also.

• Heart
Thank you ladies! Going to start the process today - seeing this thread has given me the boost I need to find out for good and if so, then try and manage it :)

• Heart

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me? I have endometriosis, I was diagnosed a few years ago but I suspect I also have PCOS, how were all of you diagnosed? Was it with a blood test, or ecography etc? thank you 😇
Hi! I’ve recently been diagnosed with adenomyosis and PCOS (both within a week). I got diagnosed with adenomyosis via pelvic ultrasounds that showed a thickened uterus and abnormalities! The doctors ruled out PCOS as I didn’t have any cysts on my ovaries but I knew I had it as I had a lot of the symptoms (weight gain, excess hair, newly irregular periods, fatigue and inability to lose weight) so begged them for a blood test which came back with high testosterone and prolactin levels: therefore, suspected PCOS. The doctor has endocrinology look at it and they also agreed that the diagnosis was PCOS based on my bloods and irregular periods. Hope that helps! Wouldn’t wish this on anyone it’s so horrible😞

• Heart

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend some leggings / bottoms for extreme bloat?

I’m having such a difficult time at the moment with constant intense bloating, abdominal pain and lower back pain and I’m so, so uncomfortable in everything I wear. (Wondering if I should be querying endo with my GP?) I cannot stand the feeling of any waistband. I have some joggers and in a pinch I cut the waistband open to unpick the elastic and remove it. They only just stay up now 😅
I don't wear leggings but I do wear chub rub shorts from Snag, which are very comfortable and stretch very easily and they do leggings, so I imagine they'd be very comfy and stretchy too.

With regards to the bloating, you could have slow gastric emptying, like me. This causes bloating, abdominal discomfort and lower back pain, for me. I've been taking myo-inositol and berberine for it for the last 6 months and it's stopped it, largely.

• Heart

Looboo

Chatty Member
I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, I’m pretty convinced I have pcos I have all the symptoms and I think it might be quite obvious, was just wondering what the doctor does is there any tests/blood work? I’m rather nervous so just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of what to expect?
Blood tests and a scan for me too. If you have symptoms and your blood test shows you have it too then you might not need the scans (I think).

blossombloss

Chatty Member
Is sleep something to do with PCOS? I always need a good night sleep or I really struggle but didn't realise they were related.

I found out as I had 4 months without a period which is unusual for me. I was actually kind of relieved to find out, obviously I would rather not have it but it explained my acne which I have always struggled with and also I've had really low libido so was good to have an explanation so that I can try and work on improving symptoms.

I have a lot to learn really about how to adjust my lifestyle and what PCOS can cause.

I didn't know I had to get bloods done every year either my doctor didn't say. He just said when I get pregnant I need to tell the nurse and be tested for pregnancy diabetes and if I don't get my periods back he can give me medicine for that. I don't want kids anyway so wasn't relevant for me but that's all he seemed interested in really - how it would affect fertility. Obviously I know that's important but he didn't seem interested in discussing any other issues.
yeah PCOS does affect sleep, it makes you fatigued but then also unable to get a good nights sleep.
some people also have sleep apnoea, which is also common with pcos. Never ending I tell you....

But yeah some doctors only see it as a fertility thing which is so bad because it affects so many other things!

Hey guys! I’ve recently just been for an ultrasound as I haven’t had a period since June 2022. The sonogram lady suspects I have pcos but needs to send the scans to my doctor for confirmation. I have been off contraception since January 2022 and we’d really like to start our own family. I’m just wondering if anyone has any positive pregnancy stories with having pcos? Just trying to find a glimmer of hope as it feels so gloomy at the moment
I have pcos and fell pregnant naturally twice …I had a fantastic gp at the time after a horrible experience with a consultant at the hospital. I upped my excercise and watched my diet generally just took a bit more care of myself but the best word of advice I got from my gp and I believe it helped was to put getting pregnant to the back ok my mind ..go and have fun and relax and two months later I was pregnant.

Just to add that gp now retired was like a social prescriber he was always telling me to go and have fun , drink the wine and not dwell on sad times !

• Heart