Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ohwowsers

When I was going through the pre-diagnosis journey, I had an external ultrasound as well as a transvaginal one and an ‘assessment of symptoms’. I can’t recall if I had blood tests, possibly. That was through the NHS in England. Not sure if the process within other healthcare systems. I know you’ve already had some answers from people but just providing another experience. Hope everything goes well at your scan.
Thank you that helps. Can I ask if you don't mind, how uncomfortable is the transvaginal scan? Should I ask for a xanax or is that dramatics.
---
Diagnosis is usually based on three things but you can have Pcos and just be showing 2 - it’s called the Rotterdam criteria. However all other options have to be ruled out as well
View attachment 2165935
Thank you, that really helps. Much appreciated
---
Laparoscopy is surgery, it’s not needed to diagnose PCOS. I had 3/3 typical symptoms (no/few periods, excess facial hair and cysts on ovaries). A blood test confirmed hormonal issues and a transvaginal ultrasound confirmed cysts on ovaries.
Thank you, it's the transvaginal I'm getting done so will see.

alex650

Chatty Member
I get my bloods done yearly, sometimes more often, I think they test thyroid, cholesterol and a couple of hormones not sure what they’re called. I really think it depends what doctor you get. The first time I went I had a doctor who wasn’t interested at all, the second time a doctor who is really interested and helpful so I always request her now. I am ttc though so not sure if that’s maybe why I have more

alex650

Chatty Member
I don’t know what the hospital near you is like but when I was on the waiting list I rung up just to see how long it would be and they managed to squeeze me in fairly soon xx

ohwowsers

Hello, I'm hoping for some advice. I suspect I have PCOS as I match a lot of symptoms and after a long wait I've an appointment but it's just for an ultrasound. Can you request a labroscopy or do you have to wait?
Thanks in advance

Hello! So glad to find this!

I got diagnosed earlier this year with PCOS after not having a period for over a year. I've recently been prescribed Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) to basically give me a period. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I had my first bleed a couple of weeks ago, which lasted for about 6 days and stopped. Two weeks on I'm bleeding again??? All a bit confusing
I had to take Provera to bring a period on for the first time end of July/last month. I had really strong cramping and then had a proper period, still much lighter than they used to be but it was a period that lasted for a week with strong cramping. Period came on the 14th day of taking provera.

Then I had to take provera again as it's been over 4 weeks without a period and my period has come 4 days after finishing the provera pack and it's really light this time with hardly any cramping. My periods always used to be heavy and fill a pad but since getting PCOS they've turned very very light, mostly spotting.

I have everything crossed for you and I’m sure you will. Sometimes things take a little longer with pcos but definitely not impossible. It doesn’t help that a lot of doctors have little understanding of it
Thank you ☺ Exactly, in my experience my endocrinologist is doom and gloom and doesn't fill me with any hope that I can have children whenever I speak to them and gp's don't seem to be clued up or know much about pcos either so it sorta leaves you feeling in the dark.

Hi! I went to my GP a couple of years ago as I hadn't had a period in 6 months. I didn't even know what PCOS was at the time but the first thing my doctor said was that it could be that as irregular periods is one of the signs, so he would do some tests. I had blood tests and a scan. You need to have 2 out of the 3 "criteria" to be diagnosed with PCOS - irregular periods, cysts on ovaries, and/or excess hormones like testosterone in blood test.

Have they referred you for any other tests?
Ahh thank you so much for sharing this, I’m the same. I’ve hear of it as I had a molar pregnancy when I was younger, I vaguely remember having a scan done years ago and there wasn’t any cysts around my ovaries, wether that changes in unsure? I also thought if you had PCOS you struggle with fertility but I’ve had a baby? (sorry if that sounds insensitive to anyone) I really want to push for more testing as it’s concerning me, my biggest concern at the moment is my weight. I go to the gym twice a week but I’m 17 stone and not losing any weight, not had a period in forever and I feel like I’m in a strangers body 😭

CrimsonCountess

VIP Member
You should be able to ask your GP for blood tests rather than having to wait for gynae? I was diagnosed about 5 years ago I think and my GP did mine for me

avisina78

Anyone else suffer with continuous bleeding/spotting? I’m on the combined pill to try and control my periods and since I’ve had my pill free week I haven’t stopped spotting 😫 really gets me down

I've always known I've had PCOS but the doctors always refused to diagnose me with it because I didn't have all the classic symptoms. I once seen a gynaecologist who said I can't have PCOS because I have kids... Wtf?

Then finally I was diagnosed about 3 years back by another gynaecologist and my GP finally accepted the diagnosis.

I bled heavily once for 3 months straight, GP would give me tranexamic acid 4 days at a time which would stop the bleeding while I'd take it and then as soon as I'd stop it was awful.

I've tried everything, losing weight, changing my diet, regular exercise. Wanted to avoid allopathic medicine so I went the herbal root which has helped soooo much, but a long journey of trial and error. But finally I have a regular period.

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
I'm getting so frustrated I just need to vent haha. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and my GP did the typical come back for help when you want to get pregnant. I've recently changed to a different surgery as I moved, so I spoke to them about struggling with my symptoms and that I would like to discuss the possibility of Metformin. He said it sounds like a good idea but that I would need up to date blood tests, so I did them last week. I had a message yesterday saying they wanted to speak to me as soon as possible to discuss the results, so I called up and they've booked me a call back for the 29th of June!:mad: Now I am just wondering what they've found and I'm desperate to know if I can start the tablets or not. I know it's only a month and doesn't make much difference when I've waited this long but I just want to feel better now
Good luck getting the metformin. Mine refused to renew a prescription as apparently it ‘doesn’t work’ for PCOS

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with PCOS this morning. It was kinda unexpected as I never really thought much of my irregular bleeding, and only went to the GP for the coil.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. My GP was so kind, reassuring and informative, but I still feel lost. Luckily, I don't require any medication like metformin, but I only know the basics about PCOS. I'm 90% certain on not having kids, so idk why I'm feeling like this. Taking my hypothyroidism into consideration, I guess I'm just fed up of my body not doing what it's supposed to.

Idk which coil I want either, I've been indecisive about both since the start, and don't have any prior experience with the coil. GP recommends the hormonal coil as it gives endometrial protection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 🥺
I had mirena coils for 13 years. It masked the majority of my PCOS symptoms and also helped stop my endometriosis from coming back after it was lasered off. My first was fitted immediately after the surgery and either because of the surgery or because it was my first coil or both I did bleed constantly for about 10 weeks which was brutal. Some tranexamic acid from the Dr sorted that out and after that it was great. The first Dr I saw told me to tough it out, the second said I never should have been left to bleed so long so I probably just had a rubbish experience there! The replacement of the mirena was… I didn’t enjoy it. I left my first coil in too long partly due to covid and partly due to just not sorting out my GP etc and they were nervous about removing it as they were worried it was brittle so went really slowly and I found it all a bit traumatic and may have screamed ‘fuck!’ at the top of my lungs during insertion whilst squeezing a nurse’s hand for dear life. How mature of me. The recent removal I had was absolutely fine, however (didn’t have another put in). I understand you can ask for local anaesthetic for fitting now so you could explore that? Sorry if this has put you off. I would just rather be honest. I am glad I had the mirena. Especially as my PCOS symptoms are absolutely beasting me now it’s been removed and I am wondering if my endometriosis has started to return as well!

TaurusWithLove

Chatty Member
Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with PCOS this morning. It was kinda unexpected as I never really thought much of my irregular bleeding, and only went to the GP for the coil.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. My GP was so kind, reassuring and informative, but I still feel lost. Luckily, I don't require any medication like metformin, but I only know the basics about PCOS. I'm 90% certain on not having kids, so idk why I'm feeling like this. Taking my hypothyroidism into consideration, I guess I'm just fed up of my body not doing what it's supposed to.

Idk which coil I want either, I've been indecisive about both since the start, and don't have any prior experience with the coil. GP recommends the hormonal coil as it gives endometrial protection.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 🥺

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and I’ve added a fair few supplements to my diet. I’m taking berberine, myo-inositol, zinc, magnesium and vit d. I have IR and they are all meant to help

Lola Ruby

I find the advice about what’s good for PCOS and what’s not so conflicting and it’s driving me insane! Don’t know what to eat and what not to🙃 does anyone have high prolactin on here? I do, they aren’t sure what’s causing it but I do feel it’s linked to potential PCOS or it’s just causing the symptoms altogether
Ughh I know. I'm seeing a dietitian and endocrinologist at the moment but they both don't have enough knowledge of PCOS to tell me what exactly I should be doing. I see sooo much stuff on social media / online too re: supplements and I'm trying a few of them but that can't be healthy for you either, taking a load of synthetic supplements all together?

I have this too try not to worry, my periods are very light just spotting some months they are a little heavier but only last a day like that and irregular. As others have said plenty of people with pcos go onto have babies with no help at all and sometimes it takes a little longer but there is plenty that can be done to help
Thanks, the period issue's been on my mind as I haven't got my appointment with my endo til December otherwise I'd have spoken to them about it and my periods have started since I last spoke to her (I was on the implant and it expired so had it taken out so my periods have started since I last spoke to my endo nurse but have been light and irregular). It gives me hope to hear that women can have children with this condition as when I said to my endo oh great so that means I may not be able to have children she just replied yes 😐

lauren96111

VIP Member
My first time posting on here :) I was wondering if anyone has been on a mini pill and it hasn't caused any awful side effects for them? I had my little girl 6 weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out if going on the pill is a good idea. I can't take the combination pill due to migraines and being high risk of blood clots. I was on the mini pill years ago but it was before I knew I had pcos

marshmallowfluff30

Does anyone follow a low GI diet for weight loss? Was recommended by a dietician but I don’t really get it. I’ve ordered some cook books but all of the recipes need loads of ingredients 😩

bbbbbbb123

Chatty Member
I went to the GP to get medication as haven’t had a period for over 3 months now, I am TTC so we were chatting about that and how I need to lose weight to be eligible for help. She suggested metformin - does anyone have any advice or knowledge of it? X