Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

theghosttown

VIP Member
Yea please I’ve had two stone weight gain though, so sad about it.......and symptoms are going wild. I take 150mg of metformin daily x.
Don’t beat yourself up, it’s super easy for us to put on weight, this current situation is having an impact on us all. Do you exercise? I have found that has had a real impact on my weight loss albeit losing has made my symptoms worsen!!x

Reactions: 1

Ken Adams

Hi I know this is a wee bit off topic but I think I have pcos - if I go to my GP (also gynae) what will she do? I’m terrified of needles/blood tests and really struggle to have them done, it’s always put me off getting an appointment because I’ve been told they have to take bloods to diagnose you. I thought it was a scan 😬
They typically do both. Bloods to check your hormone levels and an ultrasound scan to check your ovaries. My only advice would be to drink plenty before you go so you're well hydrated and your veins should be easier to access but tell the person taking your blood about your fear! Hopefully they'll make you feel more at ease and it will be over before you know it.

The only thing that has helped me to control the weight creeping up is to cut out dairy, gluten and refined sugar. Is sounds deathly dull but once you’re got used to it you feel great and really helps with all PCOS symptoms.
Thanks for this. I am thinking of going gluten free - I can only try. Of course this contradicts the whole eat brown bread, pasta etc instead of white. Would you recommend eating gluten free pasta etc over the brown stuff? It’s a mind boggle isn’t it!

I wish I could answer this question for you but I can’t 😤
Honestly the whole weight this is horrid and I’ve not found anything that’s worked well for me.
They do say to cut out carbs but that’s so hard to do.
I try to avoid the foods that I know won’t help and I have a list of them all from google. I’ve done lots of research to try and find the best diet plan but I don’t think any work 🤷🏼‍♀️ Well not for me anyway.
Everyone is so different and have different symptoms and severities; it’s just about finding your own balance and what works for your body.
Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll keep digging away at the research and playing the trial and error game, hopefully find a balance in time.

KfBr

VIP Member
Hello all!!
So, I’ve been suffering with a lot of pain recently so have been too and from the doctors for a while. I had an ultrasound last week to find out what was going on. They said both sides are completely covered in cysts 😖😖 not the news you want to hear when you’ve been ttc for a year.
But, I told him I was doing the Keto diet and his eyes lite up! Said it’s the best thing I could ever do for myself, my ovaries and all my symptoms! He said you can cure yourself by doing keto and making sure you keep whinin your BMI range.
Just thought I would let you all know as we all have our struggles and anything will help! And if it helps symptoms and suffering, I’m all for it 🥰
P.s. I’ve lost 6lb since Monday without any exercise so it definitely works!

Ken Adams

Does anyone have any tips for healthy diets and/or weight loss whilst living with PCOS?

I saw a dietitian years ago and I remember her talking about the importance of low GI stuff but honestly it's a minefield and id like to hear individual experiences 😊

Yep all the time!!
I suffer with another condition too but I can 1000% relate to feeling like this!
So annoying 😑
Isn’t it just! I have the hospital next month so if I get any tips from my Dr I’ll let you know! 😘

Yes yes yes i presume it’s the insulin resistance but don’t know. I feel so tired I feel sick
Yes definitely could be the insulin resistance - round about this time I should be extremely particular on the foods I eat but I’ve not got my diet 100% pegged yet. I also feel like it could possibly be linked to ovulation time for me (perhaps I’m not actually ovulating, who knows) I get a period every month like clock work and I know for that I am very lucky. It’s not every month but it’s just random once every couple of months and it knocks me for 6. Totally with you on the feeling sick, it’s absolutely awful! If I hear of anything that can help with this I’ll let you know 😘

• Heart

KfBr

VIP Member
I have been taking inositol few about 6 weeks now after someone recommended it.
I have found it really does help insulin and I can really tell the difference.
I also read that it help to regulate ovulation and the production of healthy eggs and just a good all round tablet to help anyone with pcos. 😀😀
I can definitely tell something is working since taking inositol alongside a fertility blend vitamin so hoping for a tiny miracle soon 🤞🏻🤞🏻

No I’m not eating any pasta or bread replacements as both really over processed so will make courgetti and have with a different veggie sauces. Sweet potatoes are your best friend on this diet!!
Perfect, I’ll give those a go thanks! I have been thinking sweet potato so great to hear you recommend! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

welly04

my pesonal experience is to reduce your meat intake and especially dairy. i am on a vegan plant based diet and it really has helped my skin and my periods do come more often now! still not where i want to be but its getting there. The best thing to do is to incorporate more vegetables into your diet in my opinion and try and have more plants than carbs on your plate :)

Raininvain

VIP Member
Does anyone have thinning hair with PCOS? Mine used to he thick when I was young but the last 6 years has seen it go whispy. My hairdresser says i have fine hair but lots of it. It won't hold a curl no matter what, I can't do them back combed poofs or any kind of style for that matter. I am considering a hair topper as I'm getting a bit self concious about it now.

Oily skin anyone? Mine is under control as long as i stick to my skincare routine. Oily scalp too, not much I can do about that though.

Period? Whats one of them then? I got into a routine of like every 8 weeks or so but nothing for ages.

I hate this.
Yes I have its superthin especially on the crown.About 10 years ago I was referred to Endocrinolgy about it as I wanted to know why I was loosing my hair.I had all the tests done for everything that can cause this and what came back was PCOS. I was prescribed Metformin and Spironolactone. The Metformin really helped with weight loss. Nothing much has helped with my hair.The only person at the hospital who seemed to know what they were on about was the Consultant as well. I just get on with it but could probably do with a topper at some point as wellx. I wear hats a lot of the time.X

• Heart

Justlooking19

Does anyone get random spells once in a blue moon of extreme exhaustion? Right now I’m so tired. Which makes me want sooo desperately to eat crap food and be lazy (which I’m forcing myself not to do). Honestly stood against the shower wall at 7.30pm the other night with my eyes shut and could literally have fallen asleep there.
Yes yes yes i presume it’s the insulin resistance but don’t know. I feel so tired I feel sick

KfBr

VIP Member
I’m not sure on this one 😬 sorry! I would ring your doctors and ask to have a telephone conversation with a doctor. Better to be on the safe side ☺

KfBr

VIP Member
Hi I know this is a wee bit off topic but I think I have pcos - if I go to my GP (also gynae) what will she do? I’m terrified of needles/blood tests and really struggle to have them done, it’s always put me off getting an appointment because I’ve been told they have to take bloods to diagnose you. I thought it was a scan 😬

I had both done and I am also petrified of needles and blood tests 😣😣
But, it is over so quickly.
Just make sure you eat and drink before you go and take something sugary with you in case you feel faint.
Whenever I do for bloods, I always tell the nurse and they are super with me.
Don’t be scared, just think of the outcome. These things need answers and you never know, you could be fine and everything come back normal!! 😀

Just a little heads up, if they check your hormone levels, ask for a print out and do some research into normal/abnormal levels. They told me a few years ago I was fine when I clearly wasn’t. I only got diagnosed last year after fighting for 10 years 😠😤 then I had to go private and my gynaecologist broke the news to me!

Good luck 💓

Ken Adams

I have recently started taking vitamin b12 Cyanocobalamin) however after reading the leaflet I close with vitamins it states tell dr....
does anyone know if metformin stops the absorption of the vitamin. Phoned drs and the receptionist asked nurse, she said ok to take. But that’s not what I asked 🙄 I asked if effects absorption and I asked receptionist to ask dr.....
You would probably be better asking your pharmacist

Justlooking19

You would probably be better asking your pharmacist
Thank you for reply I will as never can get into drs and I did ask the receptionist to ask dr. But she asked the nurse and asked a totally different question on my behalf 🙄

I’m not sure on this one 😬 sorry! I would ring your doctors and ask to have a telephone conversation with a doctor. Better to be on the safe side ☺
Thank you for reply

theghosttown

VIP Member
I struggled with the fat part when I first started and I love veg but I’m used to it now 😂 I use MCT oil on cooking to up my fat. Low carb is definitely the way forward for us suffering. Bloody hard work!! I don’t drink thankfully 🙈 The things we do. I would do anything for a healthy reproductive system 😂😂😂 and a baby 😭 I’m currently surrounded by friends who are pregnant or just had babies so it’s hard to come to terms with x
I know, it is very hard and its quite hard to talk about to friends and family too. I'm not THE most broody person in the world but I'm 31 now and I seem to be struggling with the more natural in built maternal instinct I have. I'll keep sending positive thoughts your way and really hope it works out for you c

Thanks. Do you know how many mg you took? 😃
I used the zita west one and just took the recommended dose that was on the packet, I think it was like 1 heaped teaspoon or something but I can’t remember how many mg that was x

• Heart

Bitchandstitch

following for advice! I lost 6 stone a few years ago, But was really not healthy. I’m struggling to loose anything now and don’t want to go back down the unhealthy way! No matter what I do nothing seems to help! Sorry I know that’s not helpful. 😬 Hopefully someone can advise 😃

I've just got mine today, have you seen any benefits?x
Well I got pregnant (with IVF) so that was my main benefit 😊

I don’t have diagnosed PCOS just some markers of it when they did scans etc, so I took it Incase my blood sugars were affecting my hormones which in turn would affect egg quality.

For those hoping to be prescribed metformin, Inositol does much the same job only without the side effects (I had shocking nausea even on the smallest dose)

I have been taking this fertility blend for the past month.
I was just wondering if I could take inositol along side these?

So far so good, I have had 2 periods since taking these which is the unknown for me! There was only 3 week between them but it’s still a huge improvement to my normal cycle.
Sorry about TMI 🙄 just wanted to share my experience 😃
Just had a look at it, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t take inositol alongside.

I was taking - zita west vitafem 1 and vitafem 2, inositol, ubiquinol, vitamin d and omega 3. And had a vitamin c drink every day.

Last edited:
  • Heart