PCOS - Polycystic ovary syndrome healthy diet and weight loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any tips for healthy diets and/or weight loss whilst living with PCOS?

I saw a dietitian years ago and I remember her talking about the importance of low GI stuff but honestly it's a minefield and id like to hear individual experiences ๐Ÿ˜Š

Reactions: 1
following for advice! I lost 6 stone a few years ago, But was really not healthy. Iโ€™m struggling to loose anything now and donโ€™t want to go back down the unhealthy way! No matter what I do nothing seems to help! Sorry I know thatโ€™s not helpful. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Hopefully someone can advise ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I followed a plan while preparing for IVF that is also recommended for PCOS. Often with PCOS the body is unable to regulate blood sugars and can be insulin resistant. Therefore you need to avoid foods that are high in refined carbs and sugars. So basically any white breads / pasta etc. And obviously really sugary sweets and cakes. Youโ€™re going to want to eat higher fibre carbs, and get plenty of fibre in your diet in general. Anti inflammatory foods are good too.

I took a supplement called Inositol which can help to balance blood sugars and also reduce the effects of PCOS. You can buy it online, I got mine from Zita West.

Does anyone have any tips for healthy diets and/or weight loss whilst living with PCOS?

I saw a dietitian years ago and I remember her talking about the importance of low GI stuff but honestly it's a minefield and id like to hear individual experiences ๐Ÿ˜Š
Vegan diet is great for pcos. But definitely dairy free.

Reactions: 4
I followed slimming world and lost a few stone but have since put it back on, I find having PCOS itโ€™s hard to keep it off!

Hi ladies!
Giving this thread a follow as I am also a pcos sufferer ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
I agree with all that has been said. We are currently trying for a baby and have been since January.
I lost 3.5 stone 2 years ago and had regular periods but unsure if I was ovulating every month. Since then I have put the weight back on due to life being very hectic!!
I am now back on the weight loss and trying to not think about a baby too much.
Doctors have advised me to lose weight as it helps massively to try and keep a healthy weight but, it is also a mission on its own getting the weight off due to pcos ๐Ÿ˜‘Obviously, tracking ovulation is like pissing in the wind for me so Iโ€™m just at the fingers crossed and see what happens stage!
Looking forward to seeing what people have to say! Have been looking out for a thread like this for a while.
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Reactions: 2
Hi ladies!
Giving this thread a follow as I am also a pcos sufferer ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
I agree with all that has been said. We are currently trying for a baby and have been since January.
I lost 3.5 stone 2 years ago and had regular periods but unsure if I was ovulating every month. Since then I have put the weight back on due to life being very hectic!!
I am now back on the weight loss and trying to not think about a baby too much.
Doctors have advised me to lose weight as it helps massively to try and keep a healthy weight but, it is also a mission on its own getting the weight off due to pcos ๐Ÿ˜‘Obviously, tracking ovulation is like pissing in the wind for me so Iโ€™m just at the fingers crossed and see what happens stage!
Looking forward to seeing what people have to say! Have been looking out for a thread like this for a while.
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
It took me 13 months to conceive my 2nd! We had to have sex every single day because I couldnโ€™t pinpoint ovulation but eventually we got there, good luck to you xx

It took me 13 months to conceive my 2nd! We had to have sex every single day because I couldnโ€™t pinpoint ovulation but eventually we got there, good luck to you xx

Thank you so much. ๐Ÿ’“
So glad it happened for you! Xx

I take metformin and to start will I lost weight ( nearly stone)
Now Iโ€™ll put back on and struggling to stop craving and always give into them

Apologies that was prob a bit TMI! ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚

Haha, no not at all!
Iโ€™m sure the husband will be thrilled to know this could be the way forward ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I take metformin and to start will I lost weight ( nearly stone)
Now Iโ€™ll put back on and struggling to stop craving and always give into them
It is the hardest thing ever but to also need to have your head around it and be ready to do it. I know, easier said than done ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
I have been like this all year and I am finally starting to get my head back in to it again.
Just take it day by day and be realistic.

I have been told metformin is a possibility for me but I have to show i am losing weight before they prescribe them to me ๐Ÿ˜‘

You can do it ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป

I have recently started taking vitamin b12 Cyanocobalamin) however after reading the leaflet I close with vitamins it states tell dr....
does anyone know if metformin stops the absorption of the vitamin. Phoned drs and the receptionist asked nurse, she said ok to take. But thatโ€™s not what I asked ๐Ÿ™„ I asked if effects absorption and I asked receptionist to ask dr.....

Attachments

Iโ€™m not sure on this one ๐Ÿ˜ฌ sorry! I would ring your doctors and ask to have a telephone conversation with a doctor. Better to be on the safe side โ˜บ

I have recently started taking vitamin b12 Cyanocobalamin) however after reading the leaflet I close with vitamins it states tell dr....
does anyone know if metformin stops the absorption of the vitamin. Phoned drs and the receptionist asked nurse, she said ok to take. But thatโ€™s not what I asked ๐Ÿ™„ I asked if effects absorption and I asked receptionist to ask dr.....
You would probably be better asking your pharmacist

You would probably be better asking your pharmacist
Thank you for reply I will as never can get into drs and I did ask the receptionist to ask dr. But she asked the nurse and asked a totally different question on my behalf ๐Ÿ™„

Iโ€™m not sure on this one ๐Ÿ˜ฌ sorry! I would ring your doctors and ask to have a telephone conversation with a doctor. Better to be on the safe side โ˜บ
Thank you for reply

Thank you for reply I will as never can get into drs and I did ask the receptionist to ask dr. But she asked the nurse and asked a totally different question on my behalf ๐Ÿ™„

Thank you for reply
No problem, the pharmacy is often overlooked but such a useful resource and they're the medication experts ๐Ÿ˜Š

Reactions: 2
Hi I know this is a wee bit off topic but I think I have pcos - if I go to my GP (also gynae) what will she do? Iโ€™m terrified of needles/blood tests and really struggle to have them done, itโ€™s always put me off getting an appointment because Iโ€™ve been told they have to take bloods to diagnose you. I thought it was a scan ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Hi I know this is a wee bit off topic but I think I have pcos - if I go to my GP (also gynae) what will she do? Iโ€™m terrified of needles/blood tests and really struggle to have them done, itโ€™s always put me off getting an appointment because Iโ€™ve been told they have to take bloods to diagnose you. I thought it was a scan ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
They typically do both. Bloods to check your hormone levels and an ultrasound scan to check your ovaries. My only advice would be to drink plenty before you go so you're well hydrated and your veins should be easier to access but tell the person taking your blood about your fear! Hopefully they'll make you feel more at ease and it will be over before you know it.

I had both done and I am also petrified of needles and blood tests ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
But, it is over so quickly.
Just make sure you eat and drink before you go and take something sugary with you in case you feel faint.
Whenever I do for bloods, I always tell the nurse and they are super with me.
Donโ€™t be scared, just think of the outcome. These things need answers and you never know, you could be fine and everything come back normal!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Just a little heads up, if they check your hormone levels, ask for a print out and do some research into normal/abnormal levels. They told me a few years ago I was fine when I clearly wasnโ€™t. I only got diagnosed last year after fighting for 10 years ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ค then I had to go private and my gynaecologist broke the news to me!

Good luck ๐Ÿ’“

Honestly I find all the different recommendations out there overwhelming. I read an interesting book called The Obesity Code which explains a bit about the role of insulin in conditions like PCOS and diabetes but there wasn't a 'plan' as such, just a list of foods to avoid. I've been looking into the OurPath plan, has anyone tried it? I'm wary of 'weight-loss organisations' but apparently in some areas they are working with the NHS (not mine though, I'd have to pay). I feel like I need the structure and accountability of a 'plan' but also support with the psychological aspects of diet and my relationship with food.

Best wishes to anyone out there with the same struggle though, PCOS is a b*itch.

Reactions: 3