PCDs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello! This is for anyone who would like to chat about the Elis James and John Robins show/podcast, which is on 5 Live on Friday afternoons. This is my first ever thread, so here's hoping I did it right...

Shall we start with how we discovered the show? I started listening to it on XFM yonks ago when I'd run out of murder podcasts, then I somehow forgot about it for a couple of years (maybe when they left XFM?). I rediscovered it in lockdown and my obsession was reignited. I listen to old episodes every night to get to sleep now! I just love how safe and inoffensive it is. I also have a bit of an inappropriate crush on John, lol (I'm sure he'd be... challenging... to date). I'm actually seeing him do standup twice this year (never have before)!

There are some absolute LOL moments on there. I love John's outbursts and Elis's refusal to be emotional despite the world burning around him. Dave is also a VERY GOOD EGG.

Something that really tickled me in the latest episode was when Elis said something about spoilers for tonight's game and John asked how they'd know the score already and he replied that he hadn't said something for a while so he just wanted to speak πŸ˜‚ .

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Yay!! I'll do a proper post shortly because I've been faffing around too much on here today but nice to finally find you on here:)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey! I'm a comedy geek and I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I found out about through Josh Widdicomb's old XFM show - either they filled in for him or were mentioned at some point. The first time I listened was quite early on but I got the impression it was about football and didn't give it a chance. Tried it again a while later and was hooked!

I got really sad when we thought it was getting cancelled so I weaned myself off and haven't listened to many on 5 live. I definitely need to fix that!

πŸ‰ I was once on the 5 live show once talking about how I've never touched my own belly button. Elis said it was his favourite phone call of all time and Naga Munchetty did a show about it!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Hey! I'm a comedy geek and I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I found out about through Josh Widdicomb's old XFM show - either they filled in for him or were mentioned at some point. The first time I listened was quite early on but I got the impression it was about football and didn't give it a chance. Tried it again a while later and was hooked!

I got really sad when we thought it was getting cancelled so I weaned myself off and haven't listened to many on 5 live. I definitely need to fix that!

πŸ‰ I was once on the 5 live show once talking about how I've never touched my own belly button. Elis said it was his favourite phone call of all time and Naga Munchetty did a show about it!
OMG I remember that episode πŸ˜‚ That's amazing. What was the Naga Munchetty show?!

I came up with a Made up Game in my sleep once - I did tweet it to Dave and he 'liked' it πŸ‰ but I don't think it ever made the show. It was something about using the What 3 Words app - so one of them would choose 3 words and the other would guess the location. Whoever was closest geographically to the correct location would get a point. Might have to resubmit it 😁.

The 5 Live ones are brilliant - please do go back and listen to them. The isolation tapes in lockdown are really good. And they did loads of random extra episodes to fulfil contract obligations. So they did things like an escape room, crazy golf and towards the end of lockdown they met outside in a pub, which was equal parts adorable and hilarious.

Derailing already but have you listened to any of their other stuff? I dip my toe into the pub one, but John's whimsical language gets a bit much so I do skip quite a lot of it 🀣. The lovely Robin does indeed seem lovely.

Hi, Hammers!

Only just realised the cross over between hammers to open tins and hammer legends. Too little too bloody late.

I was introduced to EJ & JR by my FTBF who hasn't LEFT about 2 years before lockdown, and during the former made it my mission to become a retro oner. I listened at 1.5 speed because I'm an absolute maverick!

I listen to TMUW but none of their other side projects (HDYC notwithstanding, I consider this part of the main show) and agree with Slop that the whimsical language isn't a draw, but it's definitely improved over time.

How did you all find Tattle?

Reactions: 2
OMG How do you cope is just so good, isn't it. I love they way they approach it - they are so respectful and non-judgmental. They've had some great guests. I also love the play on words in the title - makes me smile every time. I wonder if there will be a new series soon?

re Tattle: I used to follow JM on Twitter and the Graun but unfollowed when her chaosi became so improbable I actually found them irritating. To my shame, I had made a couple of her recipes (salad bag botulism pesto and soda bread - both awful, would you Adam and Eve it). I had mentioned in passing to a mate that she was a bit sus and I think she dug into her a bit and found the Tattle in lockdown. She mentioned it to me a few times but I dismissed it as a nasty gossip site. One day a few months back was really bored at work so I took a little look... and I've been here ever since! Still don't like the other threads much but the JM one is superb.

How about you guys?

Have you seen The Darkness of Robins? It's really funny! It was on Netflix but I think they've taken it off there now.

I'd love to hear a new series - I never tire of it!

I've been lurking for about a year but only signed up around August when things were starting to properly turn on Twitter. I had my suspicions but honestly thought I was just being judgmental! It was only when google suggested 'Jack Monroe FRAUD' as a search term when googling her that Tattle came up, and the rest is history.

I wish the PCD group was more like the JM threads at times - for example when GCs and Trans Allies disagree here, they disagree and move on rather than argue themselves blue in the face. I am a proud trans ally but know that arguing with GCs online will get me nowhere, so seeing it kick off in the PCD group every few months makes me a bit sad, tbh.

I followed the Hinch threads for a while, but she's just nowhere near as chaotic as Jack! Though I did have a look earlier and enjoyed what I saw.

• Heart
I was listening to the show live from the very beginning when they started on Xfm and followed them ever since. I've rang in the show before (complaining about a neighbour who plays bits from musicals at 2am) and my husband has done an Ask John.

The PCD ladies group for ladies things is another nice place on the Internet

• Heart
The PCD ladies group for ladies things is another nice place on the Internet
I did request to join but I think it was missed as lots of people were asking at the same time. Will ask again!

ETA: might wait a bit just to be safe lol πŸ‰

Last edited:
  • Haha
Hi everyone, are you on email?

I started listening after Elis was on the Parenting Hell podcast and very affable and amusing. I was almost a retro oner but I'm relistening to the Radio X years because...the past feels reassuring.

I end up listening to it more than feels reasonable - I put it on in the car with my toddler because podcasts are so unpredictable for swearing. She calls them 'mummy's silly men' 🀣. But if anyone else has any swearing free podcast recommendations, I'd be grateful. They don't have to be child-appropriate, I just need to not be nearly crashing on the M4 trying to turn it off because someone's randomly dropped a C-bomb.

@Slop n slide That's a really solid made up game!

As I said in the bad place, I couldn't deal with the Facebook group. There seemed like plenty of good eggs, but also a level of emotional fraughtness that I just couldn't deal with. It didn't have a very live and let live attitude? I felt there was a friction between people who felt they were true PCDs and saw others as Bigger Boys who had joined from 5 Live? ALSO! I didn't really care for being told things weren't something Elis and John would approve of. Bit weird? I just like their radio show, I don't think I need to align with all their thoughts and beliefs. (Sorry, that was a bit long, I haven't had anyone to tell about it, and it actually caused me some angst for a little while).

I apologise for using align in the previous paragraph too, I'm working late and work me is an absolute corporate wanker, apparently.

• Heart
can we talk about the FB group here too? one of my main amusements there is (I wont name names) a particular #bekind guy who is overly nice and super nice guy mode on there but is an absolute nasty bellend on other groups im in, I find it funny people feel the need to put on a character depending on the group they see is on brand for certain groups and situations.

can we talk about the FB group here too? one of my main amusements there is (I wont name names) a particular #bekind guy who is overly nice and super nice guy mode on there but is an absolute nasty bellend on other groups im in, I find it funny people feel the need to put on a character depending on the group they see is on brand for certain groups and situations.
Haha no way. That's hilarious. I think the FB group is too big and so statistically there are gonna be a lot of coins in there. Which is why it amazes me there are very few (if any??) coins in the JM threads.

Very much on topic! That is absolutely fascinating. Without meloning yourself I'd love to know what type of groups they are as I find this fascinating. Are they other comedy groups?

As I said in the other place, I was SO surprised by the volume of support on the JM/AM post last year. I wish more people could see her for the grifter she is!

Very much on topic! That is absolutely fascinating. Without meloning yourself I'd love to know what type of groups they are as I find this fascinating. Are they other comedy groups?

As I said in the other place, I was SO surprised by the volume of support on the JM/AM post last year. I wish more people could see her for the grifter she is!
ha no not comedy, beer related groups which are a bit toxic at the best of times anyway

ha no not comedy, beer related groups which are a bit toxic at the best of times anyway
Fascinating. I LEFT the beer groups years ago πŸ‰ because of the toxicity on there. It actually somewhat frustrates me that two cis white males (JR and RA) don't use TMUW to talk about breweries run by marginalised folk & those not hugely represented in the beer scene. This, coupled with copious mentions of bleeping brewdog, tiny rebel etc, particularly in the beginning, pissed me off. There are SO many fantastic breweries that they could be shouting about, but alas. Was great to hear Sam Smith's get their comeuppance in one episode tho!

Fascinating. I LEFT the beer groups years ago πŸ‰ because of the toxicity on there. It actually somewhat frustrates me that two cis white males (JR and RA) don't use TMUW to talk about breweries run by marginalised folk & those not hugely represented in the beer scene. This, coupled with copious mentions of bleeping brewdog, tiny rebel etc, particularly in the beginning, pissed me off. There are SO many fantastic breweries that they could be shouting about, but alas. Was great to hear Sam Smith's get their comeuppance in one episode tho!
yeah I get you, I dont really listen to that podcast much as I find it fairly boring if Im honest. They did have Lily Waite on and I actually found the one with a beer writer Emma something? really interesting but generally its a skip for me

Absolutely love Lily & Emma Inch.

Going to be a bit of a witch here and say I much prefer the PCD group without the person who posted tens of times a day. I know he did this for MH reasons which is why I didn't block him. Am I alone in this?

Yes, there was a lot of posting that I left the other, more patient group members to respond to!

To be honest, when someone who is clearly unwell posts a lot about their illness and personal life on groups like that, it makes me feel uncomfortable for a few reasons. They may be given bad/unsafe advice (even if it is well-meaning). They may also become too dependent on the group as an outlet/counselling service - what happens when the group can't be there for them or inevitably give them the help/advice they need? They may also share information that should not be public or could be triggering. And what about if they allude to something like self-harm? What does the group do then? It's a minefield. That's why I tend to stay well away from any posts of that nature.

I do think it's good for people who are a bit lonely or bored, though. In most cases, it can be a friendly space for that stuff. A bit like the JM threads! I definitely came out of boredom and stayed for the many lols and the excellent β˜•.

Agree TMUW can be quite dull. I pick and choose which eps to bother listening to and tend to veer towards female guests as they're always more interesting!

The Elis and John show is such a totally different beast. I'm surprised they both haven't had more success as comedians - I don't think I would fit their demographic particularly (I'm female, 30s, have no interest in football, golf or really anything else they get exited about!) and I adore them. I know Elis does a lot of other stuff but John still seems to struggle a bit?

Darling @Slop n slide. You've put into words more softly, gently and eloquently than I ever could why those posts made me so uncomfortable. Thankspaceyou.

Whilst I hear you on their limited success, I think if you look at the 'big names' (Ed Gamble, Katherine Ryan, Josh, Nish, etc) then I think it's apparent that EJ&JR do well in their respective niches, but they're exactly that: niche. It's one of the reasons they're so appealing to you and me, I suppose!

• Heart
L

There are a few men (yes, always men) in that group who are insufferable. Always looking to pick holes or antagonise. There is one who is particularly bad but who I would have thought I'd have a lot in common with. He is certainly nowhere near as annoying on the Facebook group of a band we both like.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.