Paying off debt support

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sure CC debt is unsecured so is written off if you die. A family member committed suicide because of his unsecured debts and all were written off - his assets (a caravan he lived in and a car) were then sold and divided between beneficiaries.
Just an update - the company are a renown awful company and do this a lot so I’ve told them to sling it! Death in service isn’t classed in the estate as it’s an insurance policy so the money never belonged to the deceased. 🙌🏻

Hi everyone,

I’ve been debating a debt management plan for a long time, been on and off the forum trying to work my life out 😂.
My mortgage is set to refix in July, and I’m terrified of getting a credit check so I don’t really want to do it before but it would help so much if I could just apply for one now.
I’ve put all my details on stepchange but just so worried about the mortgage if I do it early.
Does a new fix with the same mortgage provider ever incur a credit check?
Thanks x

I’m with accord and every time we have renewed with them they didn’t do a credit check, just a list of options of mortgage lengths and interest rates and which one we would like to select next.

Reactions: 1
I renewed in October and stayed with my current provider to avoid credit checks - went straight through without a hitch!

Reactions: 2
I’m with accord and every time we have renewed with them they didn’t do a credit check, just a list of options of mortgage lengths and interest rates and which one we would like to select next.
I renewed in October and stayed with my current provider to avoid credit checks - went straight through without a hitch!
Thank you both, I may just bite the bullet and go for it then 🥰 as I’ve been waiting ages but just been too scared to do it!

• Heart
Just thought I’d come on to say I’ve seen that the government is scrapping fees for DRO from April. I’m seriously considering getting one now, it’s out of hand and if I relocate with no job there’s zero wage for me coming in and hundreds per month owed out. I’ve got a call scheduled with Money Wellness tomorrow to speak to someone who knows a bit more

Just thought I’d come on to say I’ve seen that the government is scrapping fees for DRO from April. I’m seriously considering getting one now, it’s out of hand and if I relocate with no job there’s zero wage for me coming in and hundreds per month owed out. I’ve got a call scheduled with Money Wellness tomorrow to speak to someone who knows a bit more
How did you get on?

How did you get on?
I was granted the debt relief order a week ago. It seemed relatively simple; I just worry about everything unfortunately so I’ll probably worry far beyond the moratorium period 😂😩
It’s a shame for my credit rating but it spiralled too far there didn’t seem any other way out.
Are you considering one?

I was granted the debt relief order a week ago. It seemed relatively simple; I just worry about everything unfortunately so I’ll probably worry far beyond the moratorium period 😂😩
It’s a shame for my credit rating but it spiralled too far there didn’t seem any other way out.
Are you considering one?
I am x

• Heart
Good luck with it. I used Money Wellness and they didn’t charge me despite the £90 fee not being scrapped til next month. It’s been the first day of missing payments and all my creditors are trying to get in touch which is stressing me out today however hopefully once they’ve all been notified it will be easier.
If you need any help with anything just shout 😊

• Heart
I want to get a mortgage at some point in the near future so trying really hard to budget and throw everything i have spare at paying off debt. I was just curious mostly.
---
Good luck with it. I used Money Wellness and they didn’t charge me despite the £90 fee not being scrapped til next month. It’s been the first day of missing payments and all my creditors are trying to get in touch which is stressing me out today however hopefully once they’ve all been notified it will be easier.
Bless you. That would stress me out too. I did look at stepchange before, but they hounded me for ages and it proper put me off lol.. plus they only said to do a breather for a little bit anyway! Glad you've got it sorted.

• Heart
Thank you, I’ll have a look at money wellness x

My circumstances have taken a pleasant change and I’m starting a new job in July that pays £11,000 more than my current one(!) I’m hoping I can start making some headway paying off my debts.

I have various debts spread across different cards - what method do you guys reckon is the best for paying them off?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Before I went for a DRO someone posted on here about the snowball method? That would have been my choice if I didn’t think I was fighting a losing battle. Good luck with it 🥰

• Heart
My circumstances have taken a pleasant change and I’m starting a new job in July that pays £11,000 more than my current one(!) I’m hoping I can start making some headway paying off my debts.

I have various debts spread across different cards - what method do you guys reckon is the best for paying them off?
Firstly congratulations!!!!! That’s so awesome! Have you thought of balance transferring to an interest free card?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Before I went for a DRO someone posted on here about the snowball method? That would have been my choice if I didn’t think I was fighting a losing battle. Good luck with it 🥰
That’s what I’m contemplating! I feel like if I just carry on as I am I’ll still be spreading myself too thin just making lots of small payments across all the cards! At least this way I might feel like I’m getting somewhere?

Firstly congratulations!!!!! That’s so awesome! Have you thought of balance transferring to an interest free card?
Thank you, been criminally underpaid my whole working life so finally getting a grown up wage 😭 I have too much debt to move to another card (about £5500). I was considering a consolidation loan before - wondering whether to still do that or something like the snowball method!

That’s what I’m contemplating! I feel like if I just carry on as I am I’ll still be spreading myself too thin just making lots of small payments across all the cards! At least this way I might feel like I’m getting somewhere?

Thank you, been criminally underpaid my whole working life so finally getting a grown up wage 😭 I have too much debt to move to another card (about £5500). I was considering a consolidation loan before - wondering whether to still do that or something like the snowball method!
Have you checked on the MSE card eligibility checker for balance transfer cards? Some of them might be pre-approved, I've used 0% transfers for much more than that!

A consolidation loan might work too, but this might be paid off over a longer period so you'll end up paying more overall. But it's a solid way as long as you don't creep on using the cards again!

Well good for you! And good on ya for firstly taking the time to consider getting your finances in order, it will be such a relief. 💪💪

If you cant get a 0% card and transfer them all on to that, start with the smallest one first? as it makes you feel chuffed when you pay it off quicker. I started that way, got the small ones paid off, now I'm paying off the one with the highest interest whilst making minimum payments on the other 2.

I don't recommend a loan. It just gives you more debt. I did the same as logically, your only paying 1 payment. But then I just racked up more debt, so took another loan to pay off the loan and the debt which has put me in even more debt. I went from having about 8k debt to now 18k debt.

As I said before, snowball it first, start small (depending on what your debt is like) and then once the little ones are paid off, chip away at the one that charges the most interest.

• Sad
Reactions: 5