Parkrunners, assemble!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had today at our parkrun, a girl about 12-13 her dad pushing to the max and throwing up šŸ¤® twice when she crossed the line. We offered them some water, her dad was like she is fine. Tell her to get up off the floor and walk. She was like a ghost, and not steady on her feet at all. Then the dad was saying to her stop been dramatic and walk. šŸ˜³ we couldnā€™t believe it..
Iā€™d flag this to the RD, parkrun have safeguarding guidelines and thatā€™s the sort of thing the event team need to know about
---
And if you are part of the team Iā€™d get in touch with HQ for some advice

Reactions: 7
We had today at our parkrun, a girl about 12-13 her dad pushing to the max and throwing up šŸ¤® twice when she crossed the line. We offered them some water, her dad was like she is fine. Tell her to get up off the floor and walk. She was like a ghost, and not steady on her feet at all. Then the dad was saying to her stop been dramatic and walk. šŸ˜³ we couldnā€™t believe it..
I as away over the BH weekend and did the parkrun local to where I was staying. There was a bloke there with a lad who looked about 13, dad decided he wasnā€™t going fast enough so kept pushing him hard in the back, kid looked really miserable and suspect as soon as heā€™s given the choice will stay well clear.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I dread to think what time he pushed her to get round in.
---
Junior park run is supposed to be full of pushy parents.
She finished in 23:19, bless her.
---
Iā€™d flag this to the RD, parkrun have safeguarding guidelines and thatā€™s the sort of thing the event team need to know about
---
And if you are part of the team Iā€™d get in touch with HQ for some advice
The event team know, they was going HQ for advice to what to do. Apparently they are new to the area.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Oh god I hate this type of parent. When she is a bit older hopefully she will have the guts tell him to duck off. Heā€™s going to drive her away from the sport with that attitude. So sad to see šŸ˜¢

We had that at our parkrun. The tail walker suggested (as he was under 11) she'd walk with the child and his father can go ahead. The father said no.

We haven't seen them since.

I know some children do need encouragement but it should be fun.

I'm marathon training at the minute, parkrun doesn't fit into my training schedule so I'm generally volunteering at it instead. My local had a full squad of helpers at the weekend so I decided to walk it. I walked with the tail runner for a bit and there was a group of women walking infront of us and I couldn't help overhear some of their conversation. 1 woman it was her first parkrun so the rest were telling her about it. They spoke about 2 regulars at our event and about how supportive and inspiring they are to them. The spoke about how they enjoy walking at parkrun and how inclusive and welcoming it is. At the half way mark I pushed on my pace and passed them out. But it was good to hear nice things being said about parkrun, especially when you are involved in it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm marathon training at the minute, parkrun doesn't fit into my training schedule so I'm generally volunteering at it instead. My local had a full squad of helpers at the weekend so I decided to walk it. I walked with the tail runner for a bit and there was a group of women walking infront of us and I couldn't help overhear some of their conversation. 1 woman it was her first parkrun so the rest were telling her about it. They spoke about 2 regulars at our event and about how supportive and inspiring they are to them. The spoke about how they enjoy walking at parkrun and how inclusive and welcoming it is. At the half way mark I pushed on my pace and passed them out. But it was good to hear nice things being said about parkrun, especially when you are involved in it.
I love being tail walker. We get lots of tourists (South Africa, Australia, New Zealand) and it's so interesting chatting to them. I love encouraging them along.

It's so hard with kids. I have run with my child at parkrun while they were crying and to an outsider it probably looked terrible but they were honestly given the choice to stop. There's a very difficult balance between encouragement and being pushy.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have a friend who is running an ultra at the weekend. Apparently it goes close to a parkrun course. Sone idiot has asked if he can detour from his almost 50 mile route to do parkrun and then continue with the actual race so he doesn't lose his streak. Apparently its a deal breaker and if he can't do parkrun he won't do the race

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Parkrun is perfect for people with OCD like this, all their weird letter/number challenges and streaks

I have a friend who is running an ultra at the weekend. Apparently it goes close to a parkrun course. Sone idiot has asked if he can detour from his almost 50 mile route to do parkrun and then continue with the actual race so he doesn't lose his streak. Apparently its a deal breaker and if he can't do parkrun he won't do the race
Someone from one of the podcasts did exactly that a few years ago. I couldn't handle the stress, frankly.

I considered doing parkrun (it was in the same location) before doing my ultra. But my race didn't start until 11 and I was too lazy to get out of bed at the time and couldn't be bothered waiting around for my race to start.

Dealbreakerā€¦what a tool. What does he think the organisers are going to say? šŸ˜‚
ā€œOh god no please still do our race!!ā€ (That you have already paid for and is probably non-refundable)

I considered doing parkrun (it was in the same location) before doing my ultra. But my race didn't start until 11 and I was too lazy to get out of bed at the time and couldn't be bothered waiting around for my race to start.
Thos appears to be mid race so theyā€™re asking if itā€™s ok to divert off course, do parkrun and then return back to the point they made and do the final 20 odd (or whatever) miles.

A lot of those things are self navved arenā€™t they, so I guess the issue really is meeting checkpoint cut off timesā€¦

A lot of those things are self navved arenā€™t they, so I guess the issue really is meeting checkpoint cut off timesā€¦
Not just that, it's also that you're supposed to stick within bounds of the official route so that you don't go round the hills etc so miss out on difficult bits and get an advantage. You can get time penalties if they think you have got any advantages so they might be confused if they see you veering off route and doing a 5K loop plus he'd have to be 100% certain he got back to the same point as he left. It's just ridiculous, either do an ultra or a 5K run, it's not some weird combination event.

I feel like you're all missing the bigger point here.

Why the actual duck would you want to make a 50 mile run a 53.1 mile run. Is 50 miles not enough XD

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I might actually do parkrun this weekend
I feel like you're all missing the bigger point here.

Why the actual duck would you want to make a 50 mile run a 53.1 mile run. Is 50 miles not enough XD
If I was doing a self nav course 50 miles would end up being about 70 anyway as I made all my mistakes

• Haha
Reactions: 8