Parkrunners, assemble!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another thing that pisses me off about tourists and number chasers is inaugurals.
I’ve been parkrunning since Henry the 8th was hunting deer around parkrunners at Richmond park, yes it is true that parkruns used to beg people to go to inaugurals, but they don’t anymore, as them getting swamp became an issue.

I can’t remember which one but one parkrun had such a disastrous first event when about 600 people showed up, that they weren’t allowed by the land owner to do another, that is probably 18 months/2 years of hard work to go down the drain. If 200 had shown up and it had been a tricky event they could have paused for a few weeks and worked out what was wrong. With those numbers and some errors and a new team everything just got out of hand quickly and the landowner said no.

But of course a Wilson index of 1 is far more important than the future of the event

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I think I know the one you mean, started with a B, maybe? That's going to annoy me. The only other one I can think of was Wythall which shut down after one event, landowners were concerned about damage being done to the course. I don't understand the obsession with the first to be a Regionnaire again, either. Just wait a few weeks if you want to go, you'll get parked easier and won't have to get round a whole load of weirdos clogging up the course.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
600 people?! OMG, my local one is a mare with about 150 of us trudging through the woodsπŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
600 people?! OMG, my local one is a mare with about 150 of us trudging through the woodsπŸ˜‚
Same, I was on car parking Saturday and it’s a nightmare, let alone all the other users who are not there for park run getting aggy.

My local has something like 40 people each week. Bushy was...a bit of shock! (Around 1200-1300 when I've been there)

• Wow
I wonder if HQ could get it closed down. The bloke running it seems like an absolute creature with such a bee in his bonnet about parkrun HQ 'gatekeeping' these events.

The temptation to join it with a made up event...

• Haha
I wonder if HQ could get it closed down. The bloke running it seems like an absolute creature with such a bee in his bonnet about parkrun HQ 'gatekeeping' these events.

The temptation to join it with a made up event...
I fully understand the reason behind letting new events bed in. But the complete overkill that people have to this guy spreading news to a very small section of people? Wow.

Because, in truth, the percentage of people who see this information and could act on it is tiny.
Biggest fb group has around 24000 people in it. The same number of people did their first or second ever parkrun this weekend just gone. 24000 out of 290k parkrunners this weekend just gone (global parkrun numbers I know, sorry I don’t have U.K. specific).

I mean honestly. Why do you think parkrun hq could get a Facebook group closed down?
Because he is sharing factual information?

What a bunch of absolute fannies.

Another reason I can't get by with parkrun or runners. Insufferable twats.

I've just made the mistake of looking on the Inaugural parkrun page, it really is quite something

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Drama llamas out in force about the concept of parkrun now being parkwalk and the impact that has on volunteers. Someone said they tailwalked once and it took them nearly an hour and a half walking with an elderly lady and there was no time keeper left at the finish! Don't blame them personally. I really do think park'walk' will be the death of parkrun.

It’s an unpopular opinion but I agree. I do think events (at their discretion) should be able to have a cap, of which can be no less than an hour, which I swear used to be a thing when I first started being an RD (about 200 years ago?(

I will say, standing in the rain yesterday was not fun, didn’t want to wipe away any droplets of rain in case I accidentally reset my app, was a good 15 minutes between the last of the mass finishers to the final couple with the tail Walker.

• Sad
Reactions: 4