One Day - Netflix Series

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we’ve covered this in people who’ve commented on her character (myself included) feel it’s more the lack of depth that was put into her character from the script/story and not the actress.
I read the comments but I guess I wanted more :) . I just saw her "unlikability" mentioned a lot not necessarily here but in comments on social media. It's already an issue with female characters in general. Men can be unlikable, they're anti-heros then. Dex is very unlikable at several points, as he should be but there's not much mention of that because he's meant to be played as a charming sort of jerk and we've been trained to accept that. But women are branded "unlikable" which often means they're just not of a sunny disposition. But if it's then a brown woman on top, I see it more.

I personally found Emma as played by Ambika extremely likable and I was rooting for her to start believing in herself just a little. She's lost and she masks her insecurity with a thick coat of sarcasm and detachment that maybe wasn't exactly how Emma in the book is written or how Anne Hathaway played her, but I found her compelling. I totally get the criticism that she lacked depth and her backstory wasn't given as much time or thought as Dexter's, which is a problem from the book too (less complicated in the book since there's no minority aspect to the character). I guess for me that isn't really an issue since I've always seen Emma as a quasi-secondary character. The real protagonist is always Dexter, even when we see them both for most years, even when she actually grows the most. So it's interesting to me that she's branded unlikable - and many awful commenters on Twitter also mention how he's too handsome for her and it all just gets a little icky.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Yeah, you say she’s lost and masking her insecurity, which makes a lot of sense for the character but they never flesh out WHY she’s lost or insecure. I haven’t read the book, but from comments it looks like it’s not that much different.
If the audience doesn’t know why she’s a bit insecure, it’s quite hard to identify with that character because without that being spelled out, she just comes across as a bit mardy.

This is what normal people did brilliantly, Marianne was insecure, which affected all of her relationships, but we got all the context as to why.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I just thought she was absolutely tit, although I seem to be in the minority. I found her delivery so flat and emotionless and she seemed really out of her depth in the later episodes. For me it’s not that I didn’t find her believable as Emma, but that I didn’t find her believable as a real human being - I was very aware I was watching someone act (badly). I’ve been really surprised to see their chemistry in PR engagements because I don’t think this translated on screen at all.

Objectively on the looks front I don’t think she was the right choice for a 20 year love story. Leo at least got less blonde throughout… When she was standing in the train station (supposedly in her late 30s) she looked like a 12 year old in a cardigan. She doesn’t even look her actual age and it really didn’t help me invest. It seemed a non-priority in general to show the progression of time through makeup and costume for all characters, I’d be intrigued to know why. Think much more could have been done on that front

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I just thought she was absolutely tit, although I seem to be in the minority. I found her delivery so flat and emotionless and she seemed really out of her depth in the later episodes. For me it’s not that I didn’t find her believable as Emma, but that I didn’t find her believable as a real human being - I was very aware I was watching someone act (badly). I’ve been really surprised to see their chemistry in PR engagements because I don’t think this translated on screen at all.

Objectively on the looks front I don’t think she was the right choice for a 20 year love story. Leo at least got less blonde throughout… When she was standing in the train station (supposedly in her late 30s) she looked like a 12 year old in a cardigan. She doesn’t even look her actual age and it really didn’t help me invest. It seemed a non-priority in general to show the progression of time through makeup and costume for all characters, I’d be intrigued to know why. Think much more could have been done on that front
In the film, Dex very noticeably ages over the years but I agree, he didn’t look that much different in the series!

Reactions: 6
Yeah, you say she’s lost and masking her insecurity, which makes a lot of sense for the character but they never flesh out WHY she’s lost or insecure. I haven’t read the book, but from comments it looks like it’s not that much different.
If the audience doesn’t know why she’s a bit insecure, it’s quite hard to identify with that character because without that being spelled out, she just comes across as a bit mardy.

This is what normal people did brilliantly, Marianne was insecure, which affected all of her relationships, but we got all the context as to why.
I think in the book it’s more spelled out for you that she feels initially insecure because he’s rich and popular and she’s working class from the north. When they graduate he does typical rich young man things and she flounders a bit because she doesn’t have the same resources to fall back on. He has a charm and charisma that comes from an overindulged life and she is sarcastic because that’s how she deals with it. It’s better in the book.

I’ve always loved Emma as a character so all that was going on in my head as I watched it. I think if I hadn’t read the book I might struggle to get the context a bit more.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think in the book it’s more spelled out for you that she feels initially insecure because he’s rich and popular and she’s working class from the north. When they graduate he does typical rich young man things and she flounders a bit because she doesn’t have the same resources to fall back on. He has a charm and charisma that comes from an overindulged life and she is sarcastic because that’s how she deals with it. It’s better in the book.

I’ve always loved Emma as a character so all that was going on in my head as I watched it. I think if I hadn’t read the book I might struggle to get the context a bit more.
Yeah maybe it's impossible to forget the context the book's given me. But to me it seemed clear that she was insecure because of the money/class imbalance, yes, but also because she's a twenty something year old woman who isn't entirely sure what her life should look like. I don't think a lot of context was needed for that. I know 90% of my girl friends felt that and everyone reacted differently but several took the cynic route.

I also don't really get the normal People comparisons, tbh. I love both shows but aside from them being about a heterosexual couple who loves each other but can't act in a way that's congruent with that for years, they are so tonally different that it'd never occur to me to be like "if you like NP, you'll like OD" or vice versa. Or even "if you hate OD, you'll like NP".

Totally unpopular opinion here but I binge watched Normal People during lockdown (when I was off sick with Covid) and I didn’t get the hype. Granted I haven’t read the book so I have nothing to compare it to. I also agree that although some aspects are similar, they are very different so wouldn’t compare One Day to Normal People. I also felt it was obvious why Emma was insecure but again, maybe because I’ve read the book.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Is there a point in the show where it makes it clear she’s working class? That’s the impression I got later on in the show ( when she’s got her own flat with the other guy) but I don’t think I had that impression to start with so I’m curious if I missed something in the early episodes.

I didn’t see what dex saw in her early on, because she didn’t seem to have any qualities that stood out, to see why he’d be attracted to her personality. Do think she got better later on though.
For me, normal people and one day are only similar in that they chart the course of a relationship between two people, and what stops them being together emotionally / mentally. Thats not that common these days really, because it takes a lot of development rather than relying on a vehicle that stops them being together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Nearly finished it. duck everyone who recommended it to me, including my mum. Life was so much better before I watched episode 13 of this show😓😓😓
---
Omg stop it not Jeff Buckley on the soundtrack as if I needed to sob more

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I think what I didn't get was why they'd carry on the relationship from the first episode encounter. Nothing to do with how attractive either were but there seemed no spark.
And I've only seen about 5 episodes so far but Emma is mardy when they meet every single time.
At the restaurant where she works. On Primrose Hill. Greece.
I must read the book again as haven't for years. But I don't remember their relationship being so joyless? Or maybe it was.

Reactions: 20
I think what I didn't get was why they'd carry on the relationship from the first episode encounter. Nothing to do with how attractive either were but there seemed no spark.
THIS!! There felt no poignant moment, there was no intense connection of minds, there was nothing defining about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My new thought of the day- actually imagjne your boyfriend had an emma?? 👊👊
If we're talking a friend who you stay friends with through the years and there's always a what if... I'm an Emma but my Dexter is happily married to his Sylvie so sucks to be me 🤣 (not really, we most likely wouldn't work and I am very happy single but also the what if is just always there).

• Heart
I'm an Emma, albeit not a long term from Uni Emma, but my Dex left his Sylvie when he realised he had feelings for me, married over 14 years now.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
My new thought of the day- actually imagjne your boyfriend had an emma?? 👊👊
I was an Emma. Met when we were 15 on holidays and did only see each other once a year until we were adults and could travel independently. Unfortunately he stayed an alcoholic and died of Covid complications a few years ago. The parts where Dex got better hit me badly, but I know he wasn’t the right person for me, we outgrew each other a long time ago.

love to everyone who loves an addict ❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Omg im so sorry for you all.
😅 I actually am an Emma 👀
My husband would agree I am sarcastic and usually miserable too 🙉🙈
😂😂 im Emma’s personality but not an Emma in terms of we’ve been friends before!
If we're talking a friend who you stay friends with through the years and there's always a what if... I'm an Emma but my Dexter is happily married to his Sylvie so sucks to be me 🤣 (not really, we most likely wouldn't work and I am very happy single but also the what if is just always there).
Awk bless!! I can imagine the thoughts would never leave your head.
I'm an Emma, albeit not a long term from Uni Emma, but my Dex left his Sylvie when he realised he had feelings for me, married over 14 years now.
Love this for you!
I was an Emma. Met when we were 15 on holidays and did only see each other once a year until we were adults and could travel independently. Unfortunately he stayed an alcoholic and died of Covid complications a few years ago. The parts where Dex got better hit me badly, but I know he wasn’t the right person for me, we outgrew each other a long time ago.

love to everyone who loves an addict ❤
Awk im so sorry to hear that! Hope you’re okay❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Awk im so sorry to hear that! Hope you’re okay❤❤
Got a lovely son out of it and I’m very happy in a new relationship with an actual dreamboat who I couldn’t have dreamed of. The wheels keep turning ❤

has anyone ever wondered what happens in Dexs life once we leave him? I’d like to imagine he reopened the cafe, met someone new and continued to be a good father to Jasmine.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I saw this yesterday, apparently it’s in the book and the film but not the series…

---
Got a lovely son out of it and I’m very happy in a new relationship with an actual dreamboat who I couldn’t have dreamed of. The wheels keep turning ❤

has anyone ever wondered what happens in Dexs life once we leave him? I’d like to imagine he reopened the cafe, met someone new and continued to be a good father to Jasmine.

Reactions: 1