One Day - Netflix Series

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else watched this? Binged watched it all today and it's truly wonderful. Read the book years ago. Totally nostalgic and loved it all. Great soundtrack as well. Beats the film hands down.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I’m in the middle of watching it, SO much better than the terrible film. Read the book when it first came out years ago, I remember so vividly reading it in park of my uni City so it’s making me very nostalgic for summer days when I was young and free.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm watching it but I'm finding Emma quite unlikeable and in the book I liked her sass.... it's making it less compulsive viewing than I thought it might

Reactions: 18
The actor who plays Dexter 🥵

The acting is great and I’m really enjoying it. However, although I like them individually, I don’t see much sexual chemistry between Emma and Dexter so far (I’m on episode 10).

• Heart
Reactions: 17

The acting is great and I’m really enjoying it. However, although I like them individually, I don’t see much sexual chemistry between Emma and Dexter so far (I’m on episode 10).
I think they have zero chemistry which is ruining the whole series for me unfortunately!

Reactions: 22
I'm watching it but I'm finding Emma quite unlikeable and in the book I liked her sass.... it's making it less compulsive viewing than I thought it might
You know, I read the book a really long time ago (not too long after it was published), so I didn’t remember if BookEmma was this judgmental or not. The amount of times she would just repeat what someone said to her in this really mean tone! It only became less after Dex finally called her out on it. She was kinder when they met again after their falling out. But in the beginning I was wondering at times why they were friends and what he saw in her to keep up that friendship.
I enjoyed the series though and it was interesting seeing these two actors in such different roles from the ones they became known for. I thought Leo‘s acting got a lot better with and after episode 5. He wasnt bad before that, but he really excelled once the storyline with his mum came into play.

This is my favourite book. I’ve an old battered one from it was first published. Looking forward to starting tomorrow ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I haven’t read the book or watched the film. I’m not really warming to Emma at all, and her and Dexter really don’t have any chemistry!

• Sad
Reactions: 19
I’ve tried to watch it… but couldn’t get into it. I’m going to try again. The book is my favourite of all time, I’m on my second battered copy.
I’m not a huge fan of the film, because Anne Hathaway is bloody awful in it. But Jim Sturgess is exactly how I’ve always pictured Dexter. The one really good thing from the film.
Will say (as others have done) the 80’s/90’s soundtrack in the series is 👌🏻

Reactions: 10
Ian is absolutely spot in. Even more than Rafe Spall in the film. He just makes your vagina want to seal up with the level of cringe he induces. Emma I quite like but together with Dexter there's less sexual chemistry than the frozen fish she was served.

Reactions: 12
I just finished it and loved it! It was quite slow to start but definitely enjoyed it the more I watched it. Much preferred it to the film, hated Anne Hathaway’s accent.

I read comments on the daily fail saying how unattractive the actress who plays Emma is which I think is horrible! I think she’s beautiful actually. People are just so used to people looking objectively perfect, botoxed and nip’d and tucked.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I loved this book when it came out, utterly broke my heart, I'm about 10 years yonger than them in their timelines, so it's total nostalgia for me .
The film version was so so so awful, this captures the book so well, I sobbed my heart out at the injustice of it all.
I can't remember though if the book was this Dexter focused, we know so much more about him than Emma.
II have a little bit of hate for how emma didn't want to be a footnote in Dexters life, but it does feel like she was a bit, his struggles and growth were a lot more fleshed out than hers

• Heart

You should watch him in season 2 of The White Lotus

I really enjoyed this, although I agree it did drag a bit in the middle. Leo Woodall as Dexter is especially strong, and very moving at times.

Disagree on their chemistry though, I thought they had great chemistry.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I binge watched this. The chemistry I agree was a bit lacking and she was quite awkward kissing - until they met in Paris. I agree she was quite critical in general - but I could overlook it as she was quite northern witty and dry. I cried a few times and I enjoyed watching it, mainly because of the nostalgia, the music, the decor, the technology and just how hard it was back then to be in communication - my heart was with Dexter, although he looked to be having his Gary Barlow era at one point. He was brilliant and I think Emma’s actress was well cast, that if she was a stunning blonde I would have found it predictable, I think she is lovely looking but not a textbook beauty and that’s what I can relate to.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
You know, I read the book a really long time ago (not too long after it was published), so I didn’t remember if BookEmma was this judgmental or not. The amount of times she would just repeat what someone said to her in this really mean tone! It only became less after Dex finally called her out on it. She was kinder when they met again after their falling out. But in the beginning I was wondering at times why they were friends and what he saw in her to keep up that friendship.
I enjoyed the series though and it was interesting seeing these two actors in such different roles from the ones they became known for. I thought Leo‘s acting got a lot better with and after episode 5. He wasnt bad before that, but he really excelled once the storyline with his mum came into play.
Yeah agree... I don't think book Emma came across as judgemental... not how I remember her anyway... I found her more funny and clever but yeah I think they've made the series character Emma less likeable - maybe she's somehow being pitched at a younger netflix crowd

Reactions: 4
I especially loved the little touches, like in 2001 Emma was wearing a Storm watch, nearly the exact same one I had at the time, although in the last episode a baby buggys branding was front and center and it bugged me as I know they only came out in 2011 or so, just before I had my eldest 🤣🤣

Reactions: 9