One Day - Netflix Series

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Currently on episode 8.
haven’t watched the film or read the book but really enjoying it so far.

Reactions: 7
Just in case you loved the music as i did. the author david nichols made a spotify playlist:

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am on episode 5 - I am finding it really dull but I’ll keep going and hope it improves.

Reactions: 3
I am on episode 5 - I am finding it really dull but I’ll keep going and hope it improves.
That's as far as I am. And finding it dull but watchable in a way. The photography is lovely. Reading here other people say it does pick up.
I'm just not getting any chemistry between the two leads at all so far. But like their meetings are an obligation they feel compelled to keep and can't wait to rush away from.

• Heart
Just when I thought that Arthur’s Seat would be a lovely place to visit, I then watched The Push - Murder on the cliff. That poor woman and her lovely family.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I loved the book and the series, felt the film changed or left too much out. Im with most people though on the lack of chemistry ... I only really saw it from the Maze onwards. I imagined Emma to look more like Anne Hathaway when I read the book, even though she wasnt a great pick to actually play her imo

I've never heard of it before nertflix wish i had read the book first , don't know why but I don't enjoy a book as much after watching it , prefer the other way round.
Is Anne Hathaway film British characters?

Reactions: 6
I'm on episode 6, it's already had me in tears several times. I'm about 5 years younger than the characters (I graduated from uni in 1993) and all the music, and everything is just so nostalgic.

The first episode when they've just finished uni just reminded me of our last night (although in my case I was wistfully pining over someone who'd failed to notice my existence for the previous 3 years 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️).

And Dexter with his mum 😢😢

I'm going to have to pace through the remaining episodes or I'll be a wreck.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Im now reading the book and after I read a chapter im rewatching that episode and honestly, I know the book people always say it, but read it as it adds a lot more to the story. Like the holiday in Greece for example, Dex actually chose for them to have a room with one double bed as he there was rooms with single beds available. Wee small things like that

Reactions: 9
The episode where Dexter turns up at his parents' house hungover and the dad won't speak to him and screams at him- were we meant to feel sorry for him? I kind of feel he did all the right things considering how hungover he was and at least he turned up, but it was still pretty selfish. Not sure if they guessed there was a drugs element too

Reactions: 4
The episode where Dexter turns up at his parents' house hungover and the dad won't speak to him and screams at him- were we meant to feel sorry for him? I kind of feel he did all the right things considering how hungover he was and at least he turned up, but it was still pretty selfish. Not sure if they guessed there was a drugs element too
I think you're meant to feel for everyone involved. Yes, Dexter shows up at least, but he shows up in a way that makes it impossible for him to actually be present with his mother while she's still lucid. But he's going through a horrible time and isn't mature enough to handle it in a healthy way. The Dad is under the tremendous stress of caring for his terminal wife, while also seeing his son fall off a metaphorical cliff and he can't cope with everything, he just has to protect the one person he can actually protect, which is his wife since Dex isn't really listening to anyone at that point. And of course you have to feel for the mom cause she's dying and she knows that her son isn't grown yet, that her death will mess him up even more and she won't be there to help him out. I thought the show did a good job of giving you enough of everyone's perspective to understand that no one is a BAD person. They're flawed humans going through a horrible time, and not exactly coping.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I haven’t read the book (I know I should have) but watched the Netflix series then few days later watched the film version. Leo (new Dex) is so gorgeous! 👨 i wish i had had a friend like him!

I found the character Emma a bit annoying in general tbh as everyone seemed to fawn over how wonderful and talented she is supposed to be but I didn’t see it myself 🤷‍♀️

I did think the film version did the better ‘ageing’ with all the different hairstyles

Great soundtrack on the series

Reactions: 5
Just finished the series and cried from ep 13 onwards.
Feel the same as others it was very slow in the middle it got boring, it took me well over 2 weeks to finish the series but the later episodes it got so much better, definitely worth sticking it out 100 percent.
I found emmas character pretty and thought she was cast correctly it was just the chemistry that was missing from the both of them was a slight disappointment.
The production level was what saved it in my opinion.
If I could recommend another mini series from HBO called "scenes from a marriage". The acting and chemistry are excellent, and has that aspect of emotionally destroying you. Its 5 episodes but an hour long each, well worth the watch, I prefer this over one day.

Reactions: 2
Expected to enjoy this more than I did. Zero chemistry between the two, and they didn’t even try to make them look like time was passing/they were getting older. Thought it did get better as it went on but it all felt a bit contrived. Dexter’s character is interesting but I don’t think Leo Woodall was the right guy for the job.

The music was good though

Reactions: 3