Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read that years ago I love all them old Hollywood stories including Fatty Arbuckle s amongst others ,Bombshell is a great book

Reactions: 2
In my youth I was a cleaner for an elderly woman and she and her husband used to live next to Bob Hope. She told me this and told me he was the most evil terrible man she had ever met. I always tried to get specifics out of her but she would never say any more except she hated him and he was evil. Lol

Reactions: 17
If anyone gets the chance read The Moons a Balloon by David Niven. Just a wonderful raconteur and genuine man by all accounts. It is hilarious as well. It's written as of he cannot quite believe he is acting in Hollywood movies.

Reactions: 23
If you get a chance read Dave McGowans Laurel Canyon book as it explores the musicians who lived their in the 60s and 70s and the iconic music they produced. Be prepared to go down a rabbit hole tho.

Did anyone watch Feud? Bette Davis and Joan Crawford's rivalry is the stuff of legends.
Bette Davis was an absolute force of nature and when she came on the screen it was like a hurricane. I have all her movies and she was a true pioneer. I often just spend evening watching her movies especially All about Eve.She even lobbied the studios to get more diverse and interesting parts which was unheard of at the time. Also she had no issue with appearing unlikeable on screen. Again this was very novel. Her and Joan well that was like the never ending feud. Bette was always considered the better actress and she used to shame Joan terribly saying that she slept with all the Male stars at MGM except Lassie..but Joan was incredibly chic so there was this endless rivalry between them. But there was also parallels. Both had daughters who wrote very unflattering biographies of them that they both believed tarnished their images
Also Bette made it despite not being a glamazon or sex symbol
To me she is beautiful because of the power she transmits. But when she first came to Hollywood the studio sent a car to pick her up from the station and the driver came back alone because he said ' there was no one on the station who looked like a movie star.' She had to carve out her own path. Also she told her daughter she felt she had to fight every day of her life and that comes across on screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
She was also the mother of Mariska Hargitay from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Mariska has a scar on one side of her head from the car accident which killed her mother; her brothers had minor injuries.

Reactions: 17
Because I love The Wizard of Oz I researched the actors who played the Munchkins....a harder drinking group of actors you would be hard pressed to meet lol. But it was interesting because it showed how in the 1930s and before then they actually used to dress dwarfs (hope I am using the right term) as children. There is photos of them dressed as children. Its quite difficult to watch it to be honest. But what came out of it was how hard they tried to retain their dignity and their humanity through it all. They often lived together and looked after each other when they were sick. They were incredibly tenacious people.

Looking back I wish I had taken the time to ask more questions regarding Hollywood celebs but because I was so invested in putting them on a pedestal I couldnt bear hearing anything non complimentary about them. That was my fault. Through going to an old school beauty salon I used to hear a lot but you have to take it with a large pinch of salt. So many old Hollywood stars die in very miserable circumstances
Marlon Brando had a lock on his fridge and couldnt face going out because he was nearly 300lbs, however he used to see Heidi Fleiss on the regular.Such a beautiful man in his time
Ava Gardner lived a reclusive life in London struggling with money and alcoholism. But she was beautiful and generous to the end she used to invite the bin man in to have a Brandy with her. Rod Steiger was so paralysed by depression he wouldnt leave the house for months and months at a time. He literally couldnt get out of bed or shower even. Marlene Dietrich.....well a shadow of herself but went on the Caberet circuit for too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
I feel there mother was so remiss in setting Olivia and Joan against each other like she did. They were never able to recover and re establish a healthy adult sibling relationship
They were forever stuck in this sibling rivalry. They were both incredible.

Reactions: 9
The Kevin Spacey thing...well it's incredibly nefarious the people that he is surrounded with. And the young men that have died. Perhaps in the next few years people will come forward about the industrial levels of abuse suffered by the LGTBQ youth in Hollywood. It's truly heartbreaking but frightening because young men have gone missing never to be seen again.

LGBTQ

Reactions: 10
I heard years ago that Cary Grant had sex with dead people . Don't know how much truth there is in that though
I Cary Grant, heard the common rumours about him and Randolph but never anything nefarious

Reactions: 5
Loving this thread.

Here’s some more books I’ve read about people discussed so far. Definitely worth hunting down

Jayne Mansfield
Jayne Mansfield and the American fifties by Martha Saxton

Thelma Todd
Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder By Andy Edmonds

Gloria Grahame

Suicide Blonde: The Life of Gloria Grahame by Vincent Curcio

Gene Tierney
Self-Portrait by Gene Tierney

Reactions: 10