Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s she doing?
She takes her sweet time walking past my house, wanders, loiters, faffs in her pockets, drops things - yesterday I was in my lounge minding my own business stood sorting washing out and I glanced out and the creepy cow is watching me from right outside on the pavement, stood full face on with her hands in her pockets, just casually watching. It's the middle of the day so I shouldn't have to shut my curtains. I've put up with this for years, plus lots of other creepy behaviour & slander & criminal damage & hate crime. I'm so sick of it. Why are some people consumed by other people's lives? She's made it clear she doesn't like me so she should leave me alone, like I do to her. I go out of my way to avoid her :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately the police don’t help anyone anymore. It’s a free for all especially with neighbours unless you do something that rubs the police the wrong way or retaliate against something done to you by someone else. I lost all hope & respect for them many years ago after many times I needed them for various things in my neighbourhood and realised they won’t help you. Any excuse not to they will find it
Yup. I just keep telling them to make a log because when I do retaliate then they will at least know I tried to do things the "right" way. Cos one of these days we're gonna be face-to-face in the street.

Reactions: 1
Unfortunately the police don’t help anyone anymore. It’s a free for all especially with neighbours unless you do something that rubs the police the wrong way or retaliate against something done to you by someone else. I lost all hope & respect for them many years ago after many times I needed them for various things in my neighbourhood and realised they won’t help you. Any excuse not to they will find it
basically what is needed are residents associations, assuming it is just one/two other homes this is the only way to do anything and basically make their lives difficult

She takes her sweet time walking past my house, wanders, loiters, faffs in her pockets, drops things - yesterday I was in my lounge minding my own business stood sorting washing out and I glanced out and the creepy cow is watching me from right outside on the pavement, stood full face on with her hands in her pockets, just casually watching. It's the middle of the day so I shouldn't have to shut my curtains. I've put up with this for years, plus lots of other creepy behaviour & slander & criminal damage & hate crime. I'm so sick of it. Why are some people consumed by other people's lives? She's made it clear she doesn't like me so she should leave me alone, like I do to her. I go out of my way to avoid her :ROFLMAO:

Yup. I just keep telling them to make a log because when I do retaliate then they will at least know I tried to do things the "right" way. Cos one of these days we're gonna be face-to-face in the street.
If I were you, what I would do would be to put loads of (even fake) cameras outside your house, in obvious view, additionally then start spearing around things like "... description of her..." was on your CV stealing things/trying to break in but CCTV wasn;t enough so had to get more (obviously this is only if you know the neighbours and hope it will spread around) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
If I were you, what I would do would be to put loads of (even fake) cameras outside your house, in obvious view, additionally then start spearing around things like "... description of her..." was on your CV stealing things/trying to break in but CCTV wasn;t enough so had to get more (obviously this is only if you know the neighbours and hope it will spread around) :ROFLMAO:
I have two cameras already 😁 She knows she's on camera.

I am very tempted to put up a poster detailing what I put up with on a daily basis, plus proof with a screenshot or two, so everyone in the street knows. She's all charming to other people and tells them how awful I am for not doing X Y Z that she wants me to do (usually giving her part of my garden, or cutting shrubs down cos she doesn't like them). She plays the victim all the time.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The irony is you can get in trouble for having your camera pointed in the wrong places. Never mind the fact of why you have to even have them in the first place. That’s why the police/council/laws are totally pointless. It’s always against the wrong side. I called my council about someone burning toxic items. They agreed they had had complaints but because the guy was doing it Friday nights and into Saturday Sunday and they don’t work weekends there was nothing they could do. So we just have to breathe acrid smoke from burning fridges, mattress etc. Fire brigade told me they couldn’t care less (actual words) what anyone burns it’s up to environmental health (who don’t work weekends).
I agree with the home associations thing. Kind of like they have in America where rules are adhered to or you’re taken to court by their own lawyers, fined or forced to leave. It’s the only way as everyone is too afraid to get involved or enforce anything now. Until I try to do it and I bet they’d be all over me 😂

Reactions: 1
The irony is you can get in trouble for having your camera pointed in the wrong places.
I got this off the local plod for my camera. Its so out of touch, most security devices like Ring, Eufy, Blink allow users to set up areas to monitor. You don't want it going off every 5 minutes!
My cameras are pointed directly at my car, my shed, my door.
Can i see other things in the peripheral? Yes
Do i have any interest in it? No
There's that much crime around at the moment in my local area so my attitude is if you step foot on my land youre being watched (recorded lol)

Random short story:- I go to bed tonight, trying to get to sleep and I hear a man shouting outside. I can’t hear what he’s shouting until I open my window and he’s shouting for help because something’s on fire. Shoes and dressing gown on and I’m out in the back lane looking for him. No more shouting, no fire, no smoke. Back into bed and half an hour later he’s shouting again, he’s shouting his house is on fire. Open my window to see where his voice is coming from and he stops. I can only think the gentleman has mental health issues ☹.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
We are hoping to put our house on the market and wondered if anyone knew the definition of neighbour disputes? 2 years ago we complained to our housing management (private road) about a lady across the road who would go out of her way to make our lives hard….parking awkwardly on purpose mainly. Anyway 2 years down the line and we actually get on with this woman now and complaints have been dealt with. Do I just need to declare that we made a complaint and it has been sorted or do I need to go into detail with declaring neighbour disputes?

Iv written on this thread previously about my neighbours, I actually hate them, I feel like I live in a fishbowl, we are in old terraced houses so walls are quite thin, my 4 year old will cry for literally 2 seconds and she texts me, I will have a day off work and she will text me, one of their cats was pooing blood in my garden so I let her know incase something was wrong with the cat she wasn’t that fussed, iv since put up trellis as I don’t want the cats in my garden as I have a child and two dogs, iv just been outside and noticed a really strong smell of cat poo but couldn’t see any on the floor, iv opened and looked out my upstairs bathroom window and their flat roof is covered in cat tit!! Like small mountains of tit! She previously in the summer got a ladder and scraped the poo off the roof, if she knows they tit up there why isn’t she either cleaning it regularly or training the cats not to do it! They have a litter tray outside but they haven’t used it as it’s bloody full! Iv since contacted environmental health, I’m sick of it and hate living next door to them, Iv owned my house 9 years and no issues, they’ve owned theirs now 1 year and I hate being their neighbour, they are nosey, interfering and bloody filthy!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Iv written on this thread previously about my neighbours, I actually hate them, I feel like I live in a fishbowl, we are in old terraced houses so walls are quite thin, my 4 year old will cry for literally 2 seconds and she texts me, I will have a day off work and she will text me, one of their cats was pooing blood in my garden so I let her know incase something was wrong with the cat she wasn’t that fussed, iv since put up trellis as I don’t want the cats in my garden as I have a child and two dogs, iv just been outside and noticed a really strong smell of cat poo but couldn’t see any on the floor, iv opened and looked out my upstairs bathroom window and their flat roof is covered in cat tit!! Like small mountains of tit! She previously in the summer got a ladder and scraped the poo off the roof, if she knows they tit up there why isn’t she either cleaning it regularly or training the cats not to do it! They have a litter tray outside but they haven’t used it as it’s bloody full! Iv since contacted environmental health, I’m sick of it and hate living next door to them, Iv owned my house 9 years and no issues, they’ve owned theirs now 1 year and I hate being their neighbour, they are nosey, interfering and bloody filthy!
I wonder what the inside looks like then, if that’s what they’re ok with presenting to the rest of the street 🤢. I own indoor cats now, but I have owned outdoor cats before. The tend to go in a clean spot, so maybe that’s why your garden or every square foot of the roof is being optimised instead of the litter tray? Thank you for taking kind measures to keep them out your garden ❤

I wonder what the inside looks like then, if that’s what they’re ok with presenting to the rest of the street 🤢. I own indoor cats now, but I have owned outdoor cats before. The tend to go in a clean spot, so maybe that’s why your garden or every square foot of the roof is being optimised instead of the litter tray? Thank you for taking kind measures to keep them out your garden ❤
I do like cats, my parents had their cat over 15 years and I loved him dearly until he passed last year, on previous posts Iv done on this thread Iv explained their house is a complete dump it’s disgusting, cat hair and fluff everywhere, dust, food laying about on the sides that she’s too lazy to put in the bin, takeaway packets left on the floor etc ironically she’s a bloody cleaner for a job! She only works two hours each day in the evening when her partner gets home and I know she looks after the child during the day but I have a child the same age and I manage to keep a tidy clean environment for my child and dogs, I didn’t want her cat which was pooing blood in my garden to make it a habit as outdoor cats can carry toxoplasmosis in there poo and I don’t want my dogs eating it and also in the summer I don’t want my child who plays on the grass having it on him either, their house stinks too just everything about them stinks and is minging, Iv reported the child to nursery etc nothing seems to be done about it and it’s making me hate living in my house when I love my house just not living next to them

I do like cats, my parents had their cat over 15 years and I loved him dearly until he passed last year, on previous posts Iv done on this thread Iv explained their house is a complete dump it’s disgusting, cat hair and fluff everywhere, dust, food laying about on the sides that she’s too lazy to put in the bin, takeaway packets left on the floor etc ironically she’s a bloody cleaner for a job! She only works two hours each day in the evening when her partner gets home and I know she looks after the child during the day but I have a child the same age and I manage to keep a tidy clean environment for my child and dogs, I didn’t want her cat which was pooing blood in my garden to make it a habit as outdoor cats can carry toxoplasmosis in there poo and I don’t want my dogs eating it and also in the summer I don’t want my child who plays on the grass having it on him either, their house stinks too just everything about them stinks and is minging, Iv reported the child to nursery etc nothing seems to be done about it and it’s making me hate living in my house when I love my house just not living next to them
So sorry for your situation. I bet the pets and child (especially when they’re old enough) will hate it too ☹

Can I please ask what any of you would do in this situation.
So we live in a town house and it’s joined with another house.
So because it’s on three stories on the top floor it’s recommended that we have fire doors which slam shut behind you when you leave a room, unless you catch the door and close it nicely.
So my neighbours have lived here for 25 years and just now connected the doors with the fire closers (we don’t have ours connected we just shut the doors with our hands) meaning during the night when they get up for a wee there is an almighty bang, it honestly sounds like a small bomb doing off, this is waking us up every night a few times and also one of them get up early for work 5.30 and then it begins for the day just none stop banging.
I have trouble sleeping anyway and some nights I just haven’t slept at all, I’m almost waiting for the noise to start because it’s such a loud startling noise and not something you can ignore.
Just now it’s 2:45am and a huge bang which prompted me to write this.
The thing is I know I could ask them to maybe take the things off the doors but they don’t seem to have a problem with the noise themselves obviously, plus they are weird in general and go out of their way to ignore us even when we say hi.
They just got a new dog so maybe something to do with keeping him out of the bedrooms?
But seriously this is awful.
My partner thinks because the slam is so loud and it moves the house a bit that it has actually made a line going down our new tv because it’s been rattled from their side of the wall (it’s on a bracket on the wall)
It honestly does rattle the house and when I’m in bed even with ear plugs I can feel the doors slamming.
I’m just down about this because surely they know how loud it is? They can’t be that stupid.
Plus I was recommended against ear plugs by my dr because I have tinnitus and it just makes it seem louder.
I just think you should be able to go to bed and sleep through without your neighbours sounding like a bomb going off in their house…
Editing to add these doors are very heavy and can easily chop fingers off if they got in the way of the door closing

• Sad
Reactions: 7
So because it’s on three stories on the top floor it’s recommended that we have fire doors which slam shut behind you when you leave a room, unless you catch the door and close it nicely.
So my neighbours have lived here for 25 years and just now connected the doors with the fire closers (we don’t have ours connected we just shut the doors with our hands) meaning during the night when they get up for a wee there is an almighty bang, it honestly sounds like a small bomb doing off, this is waking us up every night a few times and also one of them get up early for work 5.30 and then it begins for the day just none stop banging.
I have trouble sleeping anyway and some nights I just haven’t slept at all, I’m almost waiting for the noise to start because it’s such a loud startling noise and not something you can ignore.
The thing is I know I could ask them to maybe take the things off the doors but they don’t seem to have a problem with the noise themselves obviously, plus they are weird in general and go out of their way to ignore us even when we say hi.
They just got a new dog so maybe something to do with keeping him out of the bedrooms?
My partner thinks because the slam is so loud and it moves the house a bit that it has actually made a line going down our new tv because it’s been rattled from their side of the wall (it’s on a bracket on the wall)
It honestly does rattle the house and when I’m in bed even with ear plugs I can feel the doors slamming.
I’m just down about this because surely they know how loud it is? They can’t be that stupid.
Plus I was recommended against ear plugs by my dr because I have tinnitus and it just makes it seem louder.
I just think you should be able to go to bed and sleep through without your neighbours sounding like a bomb going off in their house…
Editing to add these doors are very heavy and can easily chop fingers off if they got in the way of the door closing
I’ve had this situation before and it’s irritating af! My first suggestion would always be ear plugs, but if that isn’t an option for you, other than talking to your neighbour and asking them to close the doors more quietly at night, there’s really not much you can do.

I’ve had this situation before and it’s irritating af! My first suggestion would always be ear plugs, but if that isn’t an option for you, other than talking to your neighbour and asking them to close the doors more quietly at night, there’s really not much you can do.
By some felt pads (google is your friend to quieten the doors) and give as Christmas gift

I don't have any advice about your neighbours but I have tinnitus and wear earplugs every night. Obviously it depends on how much your tinnitus would bother you, but I swear by laserlite foam earplugs which are very cheap. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they'd be a match for the volume of the doors slamming but you never know, they might help a bit.

I didn't realise I was doing this (albeit with my front door, also a fire door and very neavy) my next door neighbour explained the issue and i now make sure to close it carefully, as long as they are reasonable and you are polite about it this should work

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I didn't realise I was doing this (albeit with my front door, also a fire door and very neavy) my next door neighbour explained the issue and i now make sure to close it carefully, as long as they are reasonable and you are polite about it this should work
I agree. You need to speak to them because they are probably totally unaware you can hear it so clearly. If it continues, I’d be inclined to let my fire doors bang shut too just so they can hear for themselves how loud it is but then I’m petty like that! 😁

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

I also have this issue sadly with a neighbours attic conversion . They didn’t get the self closing doors that close gently. You’re right it is like a bomb going off and makes me jump out of my skin even with headphones on. My brother who is a builder said they may not be aware as the slam causes an impact borne noise so i definitely feel the noise my side. If they are approachable maybe ask them to adjust the sliders on them. My neighbour told me to F off so best of luck !

• Wow
Reactions: 5
We have a door that doesnt latch if you dont slam it. Im sure we are probably annoying our lovely neighbours... sorry! I will fix it eventually i promise... resolution for 2023 lol

We have a door that doesnt latch if you dont slam it. Im sure we are probably annoying our lovely neighbours... sorry! I will fix it eventually i promise... resolution for 2023 lol

• Haha
So unfortunately this is going to be a long and serious one - TW possibly for stalking and harassment.

For background, myself and my partner bought our dream house three years ago, we live in a small cul-de-sac of only 6 houses in a small village and we are a bit out of the way so it's quite a secluded area. When we moved in we had no issues with the neighbours until our direct next door neighbour sold the house and a new neighbour moved in. I would consider us to be good neighbours, we have socialised with all our neighbours, say hello in passing and chat for a few minutes and we have even helped neighbours grit their driveways in the icy weather and helped them with their gardens (cutting grass etc.) - most of our neighbours are elderly except a family with adult children and the neighbour we are having the issue with who is a single man around his late 40s, and we are a young couple with no kids. Our house is detached so there is no issues with noise and we have a driveway for both our cars so no issues in that regard. Apart from all this we really keep ourselves to ourselves, I'm quite shy and not interested in being friends with the neighbours aside from the usual niceties.

When our previous next door neighbour moved we first met our new neighbour as he was moving into the house while we were doing some work in the front garden, we introduced ourselves, chatted a bit and that was it. We both felt he seemed a bit odd, he had moved on his own across the country with no job to go to and it was a bit unusual that he had bought the house next to us which was a fairly expensive family home when he was living on his own and had no employment. We also found out that he was looking for jobs in the area that were generally minimum wage roles (bartending, shop assistant etc.) and he previously worked in a care home, to be clear, I don't think that there's anything wrong with that but it seemed very odd when we knew how much he had paid for the house. He offered all this information without any prompting from us. Myself and my partner both found it a bit strange but thought he likely had family money and a big deposit or something and never thought too much of it after that. In the two years he has lived there he has got a few jobs here and there and been sacked from every single one, he seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way and I do find he comes across as a bit arrogant and patronising which is quite strange as he is also quite soft spoken and he definitely doesn't have a tough guy persona (he reminds me of Phil Spencer lol).

The first incident happened a few months later when my partner was away for the weekend on a stag do, I was doing some work in our back garden and he popped up over the fence and started talking to me while I was obviously busy. He talked to me for 2 hours and I felt completely trapped, no matter how much I tried to politely leave the conversation he kept on going on going and asking me all manner of personal questions, he then asked me if I wanted to come over to his for dinner as I was on my own for the weekend, I hadn't told him this and I felt sick at his words, I made an excuse and left and didn't go back out again. For the whole weekend I was scared to leave the house in case I saw him. I told my partner about this and he said I was probably worried for nothing and that the guy was probably being over friendly as he doesn't know anyone in the area. I hoped that this was true but unfortunately not... over the next few months he managed to corner me multiple times when I was outside doing anything - always when my partner was not home. I chatted politely and for too long because he honestly was scaring me and I wasn't sure how he would react if I was rude or fobbed him off. The things he would try to talk about were deeply personal, asking me where I work, how much I earn, whether I work from home, he even asked me about medical issues that I have after he saw my partner bringing me home from the hospital after a surgery.

Then things started to escalate further, a few days after an incident where he had approached me while my partner was actually home and I managed to hurriedly make an excuse and dash into the house where my partner was waiting at the door for me, I got a knock on the door from said neighbour. It was on a weekday in the middle of the day when I was working from home and my partner was out at work and wouldn't be home for several hours. The neighbour told me he wanted to see a tree in our garden that was overhanging his fence as he wanted to prune it and walked into our house and through to the back without invitation to look out of the window at the tree. He then sat down at our dining room table and started questioning me, he told me that he thought my partner was abusing me as I was always nervous around him and because I wouldn't speak to him when my partner was there. I told him I was fine and there was no issue, he stayed in my house for around 45 minutes and made comments that I was "cute" and "pretty" before I eventually convinced him to leave me alone because I was working, at this point my anxiety was through the roof and after he left I had a full blown panic attack and actually had to finish work early because I was so shaken up. Since then he has knocked on the door multiple times when I am home alone, I have managed to ignore him most of the time but our door is right next to a window into our downstairs which is all open plan so if I'm downstairs he can see me through the window and he stands there until I answer. He has done various things which seem like excuses to come over and try to get into the house and on some occasions he has brought me gifts, luckily I have managed to keep him out.

Things escalated even further last week, he knocked on the door and as I was expecting a parcel I went to the door without thinking. I opened the door and he told me he wanted to "clear the air between us", he said that he thought my partner was jealous of us speaking to each other and being friends because he is a "single guy" and he seemed quite agitated and forceful I managed to get rid of him and I immediately left the house and went to work from the office instead, since this has happened I have been working in the office a lot more as I am scared to be at home on my own in case he comes over and I have noticed that he has been watching me leave and come back. I have purchased and installed a ring doorbell today and I'm hoping this will deter him from coming to the door.

As if the whole situation couldn't get any weirder, my dad called me today to say that a family member of my neighbour who he knows as they work in a shop he goes to, had warned my dad that my neighbour had been talking about me to his family saying that my partner was jealous of our friendship etc. she told him he is a real weirdo and that he is also a drug user and drug dealer! Bear in mind that my dad barely knows this girl aside from him visiting the shop that she works at (he has had parts invoiced to me at my address before so it is in their system which is how she must have known he was my dad), but she was able to provide details of who me and my partner are to my dad which makes me think that the neighbour must talk about us/me a lot.

Genuinely I'm worried that this guy is obsessed with me, I'm scared for my safety and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I'm reluctant to go to the police as I don't think he has committed a crime and I don't have any evidence. I think they would go and speak to him I'm worried that this will make things worse. Has anyone had a similar situation and what did you do?

• Wow
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.