Nurses striking

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The problem is the government in charge who are quite happy to leave us to argue with and blame each other. The reason for high inflation is the energy prices. We can’t control that, but we still suffer and the public sector in particular. Don’t try to tell me that the public sector earn more because I know for a fact that we don’t! ✋🏻

Reactions: 3
I think at this moment with inflation everyone should be paid more. I just don’t think everyone should be paid equal
---
Who’s going to spend years training to be a nurse doctor teacher and end up in debt stressed not being able to go out partying with your mates if you can just go into another job that pays just as well?
I wasn’t aiming that at you, I completely agree if I’m honest. For my profession I now have the equivalent of two undergraduate degrees and an additional diploma and for that reason I think I deserve to be on the money I am. But that being said, I know a lot of people who I went to school with that didn’t go to university and still have very well paying jobs - is it annoying? Slightly, but I guess that’s just life these days

• Sick
Reactions: 2
Serious question, why is it still considered "junior"
It basically means “not a consultant”. The traditional medical culture is one of toxic infantilism which is really hard to convey until you’ve experienced it. The powers that be have renamed us so many times. We used to be called house officer, senior house officer, registrar then consultant. Then the new training pathways came in in the early 2000s and this creeping culture of making us sound as junior as possible. Senior house officer was officially outlawed for fear it gave nursing staff and others a mistaken impression that the doctor was in any way senior. Replaced with core trainee, or junior grade and now they’re suggesting “central doctor”. I wish I could make it make bleeping sense but I can’t. Meanwhile someone can do a degree in sport science, 2 years training to be a physician associate and start on £44k 9-5 no on calls. And people wonder why doctors are mad.
---
Because what is and isn't a 'graduate entry job' is so arbitrary. I think plumbers and electricians who don't go to uni provide a more valuable and important service to society than someone who did a history of arts degree and now works on the BBC graduate scheme, so it's fine to me if the former earns more despite being 'less educated'. Some nurses don't have degrees as historically it wasn't a graduate profession, should those nurses earn less than the new ones with less experience but have a degree? I also think it would be very undesirable to live in a society where only those who are academically gifted can ever reach the highest wages. There are plenty of more useful and important skills to have. Some vital jobs are also just extremely unappealing - I can't think of anything worse than hauling heavy stuff around until 3am, or driving long distances etc - and to make those jobs worth it they need decent salaries, whereas people with stupid degrees are falling over themselves to do cushty 9-5 graduate schemes. I don't think it's communism to think that there's more to salaries than education, to me that's an extremely crude measure and I say that as someone who has several degrees.
It’s about skills more than education. The university education for nursing, medicine etc is specific skills based programmes Focused at a specific job. I don’t begrudge tradesmen getting a decent wage, I can’t do their job so I need to pay them for their skills and expertise. Nurses and doctors are no different. You can’t easily replace a nurse or a doctor, just like retraining electricians etc takes considerable time and not everyone is up to the job. It’s about skills.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s about skills more than education. The university education for nursing, medicine etc is specific skills based programmes Focused at a specific job. I don’t begrudge tradesmen getting a decent wage, I can’t do their job so I need to pay them for their skills and expertise. Nurses and doctors are no different. You can’t easily replace a nurse or a doctor, just like retraining electricians etc takes considerable time and not everyone is up to the job. It’s about skills.
Yep that was basically my point. Skills =/= a degree, necessarily, so I wouldn't agree 'gradate entry jobs should have a higher salary' per se. Then personally in addition to that I also think things like risk, general working conditions, lifestyle/working pattern, physical burden etc should factor into the salary, all of which apply to nurses/doctors, but not exclusively.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It basically means “not a consultant”. The traditional medical culture is one of toxic infantilism which is really hard to convey until you’ve experienced it. The powers that be have renamed us so many times. We used to be called house officer, senior house officer, registrar then consultant. Then the new training pathways came in in the early 2000s and this creeping culture of making us sound as junior as possible. Senior house officer was officially outlawed for fear it gave nursing staff and others a mistaken impression that the doctor was in any way senior. Replaced with core trainee, or junior grade and now they’re suggesting “central doctor”. I wish I could make it make bleeping sense but I can’t. Meanwhile someone can do a degree in sport science, 2 years training to be a physician associate and start on £44k 9-5 no on calls. And people wonder why doctors are mad.
---

Maybe slightly controversial but interested in the answer, if you can get £44k 9-5 for less training then why wouldn’t you? Is it the general work of a doctor being more enjoyable than a physician associate or is it something else? (I’m not in the medical field at all and genuinely curious)

Reactions: 1
Yep that was basically my point. Skills =/= a degree, necessarily, so I wouldn't agree 'gradate entry jobs should have a higher salary' per se. Then personally in addition to that I also think things like risk, general working conditions, lifestyle/working pattern, physical burden etc should factor into the salary, all of which apply to nurses/doctors, but not exclusively.
absolutely agree. I think a lot of p
Maybe slightly controversial but interested in the answer, if you can get £44k 9-5 for less training then why wouldn’t you? Is it the general work of a doctor being more enjoyable than a physician associate or is it something else? (I’m not in the medical field at all and genuinely curious)
Theres less progression as a PA and they cannot prescribe or order ionising radiation (X-ray, CT etc) but that could change. However as they are permanent staff members departments are keen to train them up when they are less interested in doing so for their doctors who tend to rotate to new jobs every 4-6 months as part of their training. For example, my department has secured funding to train a PA in day case procedures. That’s training opportunities taken away from doctors.

i think the PA experiment will fail. Nobody wants to do the scut work forever, they will always want training up in other things because the core of their job (ward work) is not going to be enough to sustain a career. But in the meanwhile they are creaming off the good bits about being a more junior doctor and leaving the tit work .

incidentally you have a medical degree you are exempt from training as a PA 😂

i think the PA experiment will fail. Nobody wants to do the scut work forever, they will always want training up in other things because the core of their job (ward work) is not going to be enough to sustain a career. But in the meanwhile they are creaming off the good bits about being a more junior doctor and leaving the tit work .

incidentally you have a medical degree you are exempt from training as a PA 😂
Agree with this, give it a few years , PAs will have more work given to them ( extended practice🙄) for the same pay & will get fed up and feel stuck in their roles.

Reviving this thread for anyone still interested. Pleased RCN members have voted to reject although it’s a weak vote and I fear without new leadership they are not going to fare well. I hope otherwise though

Hopefully they will atleast be offered the equivalent to their Scottish colleagues to prevent strikes. That still isn't enough though imo.

It’s a weak vote, coupled with the fact that Unison one voted in favour. So it’s a bit of a mess. Could this be the for governments end game though? So many strikes between nurses and junior docs, the nhs just absolutely collapses. I dread to think how many ops have been cancelled. Fully supports pay rise though, in order to deal with recruitment and retainment issues.