Northern Ireland #6 Craic, Conflict and Current Affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well if I was Jamie minded I'd say it's some imperial-minded conspiracy
I’d say he reckons the £ is on the first page because the British are more superior 🇬🇧 👑. I do always wonder why the € is on page two when I have my phone set up as in Ireland.

Reactions: 1
I’d say he reckons the £ is on the first page because the British are more superior 🇬🇧 👑. I do always wonder why the € is on page two when I have my phone set up as in Ireland.
I probably could have searched for it to be fair but not finding off the EU mainland has got me all Jamie-like

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Supremacy is his latest buzz word. All us evil fenians want it apparently 🙄

• Haha
Really? I thought they were coming in soon?
I’m on a pay meter electric and I put a massive amount on in august which hasn’t run out yet but thought I could top up now in November and get £400 of top ups? Thankfully I haven’t needed to yet. My parents got their winter fuel payments but I think that is an existing thing.
Yes, it’s been delayed till January at the earliest… Mark Durkan has been posting about it.

Really? I thought they were coming in soon?
I’m on a pay meter electric and I put a massive amount on in august which hasn’t run out yet but thought I could top up now in November and get £400 of top ups? Thankfully I haven’t needed to yet. My parents got their winter fuel payments but I think that is an existing thing.
If you’re on the freedom pad I’d advise you to top up £5 that will bring your unit charge down to the new rate.

Attachments

Last edited:
Lady on Nolan this morning speaking about her parents killed in the Enniskillen bomb, incredibly sad. Then she says there is inequality towards the Unionist community with millions spent on Bloody Sunday and its all the nationalist way.
I will just never understand that mindset and I'm really trying. Northern Ireland was created using inequality. Everyone in power here was against nationalists even the police. If civil rights hadn't happened, if the troubles hadn't happened, what would it be like here today for Nationalists?
Because its 2022 and there is still a major party here who don't want equality for people like me.
I don't know anymore. It just leaves me feeling very sad. I guess I should stop listening to Nolan.

Reactions: 6
What does she mean by millions spent on Bloody Sunday? Those people were murdered by the British State .I guess we should just let them away with it 🙄

44306E60-6CC6-4E4B-A622-AC0E35AADC8E.jpeg

Reactions: 3
Monga I guess its just how she feels, same way people on the other side feel. Sitting on the fence is probably the easiest position to take, then you can avoid any hurt and understand everyone's point of view. But that's not easy, do think its the way to go though.

Monga I guess its just how she feels, same way people on the other side feel. Sitting on the fence is probably the easiest position to take, then you can avoid any hurt and understand everyone's point of view. But that's not easy, do think its the way to go though.
I don’t think many that lived through it can sit on the fence? Maybe the generation after are more able and willing to do that, some people do want to move forward but are prevented from doing so … Some want to drag us back there because they never left 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Lady on Nolan this morning speaking about her parents killed in the Enniskillen bomb, incredibly sad. Then she says there is inequality towards the Unionist community with millions spent on Bloody Sunday and its all the nationalist way.
I will just never understand that mindset and I'm really trying. Northern Ireland was created using inequality. Everyone in power here was against nationalists even the police. If civil rights hadn't happened, if the troubles hadn't happened, what would it be like here today for Nationalists?
Because its 2022 and there is still a major party here who don't want equality for people like me.
I don't know anymore. It just leaves me feeling very sad. I guess I should stop listening to Nolan.
Also listened to this lady on Nolan this morning and my heart went out to her but when she started bringing Bloody Sunday into it I had to disagree with her, Bloody Sunday was completely different in that they were murdered in cold blood by the state. There have definitely been inequalities on both sides and each side will always think they are more victimised but you can’t compare murders by the state to murders by paramilitaries.

Also listened to this lady on Nolan this morning and my heart went out to her but when she started bringing Bloody Sunday into it I had to disagree with her, Bloody Sunday was completely different in that they were murdered in cold blood by the state. There have definitely been inequalities on both sides and each side will always think they are more victimised but you can’t compare murders by the state to murders by paramilitaries.
She made a lot of sense until that point was made but I can understand the bitterness, her parents were killed by the IRA. I think we have to swallow it otherwise we're not acknowledging her trauma.

She made a lot of sense until that point was made but I can understand the bitterness, her parents were killed by the IRA. I think we have to swallow it otherwise we're not acknowledging her trauma.
I don't think there's many haven't acknowledged it ,including politicians ? don't think we've ever heard Donaldson & Co condemn Bloody Sunday or any of the other murders carried out by the British army or loyalist paramilitaries and that's where the problems lie , they can't accept there's two sides to the story .

235E07ED-18EF-4150-A4F2-6BBFB5616BE0.jpeg

Nationalist’s have suffered at the hands of the provos too and will condemn them for it, that doesn’t seem to stretch across the divide to Protestants affected by loyalist paramilitaries,or maybe they’re too afraid to speak out 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
Well yeah. I find all of it awful. I suppose when I hear comments like that a little whataboutery happens. It's unhealthy. I dunno I'm really starting to think differently because I don't want this place to go backwards. Whataboutery was safe then, it's not safe anymore. Most of us need to be on the same page here to not let that happen and call out the people who want to take us back. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 4
I don’t think it’s whataboutery when you have one side refuse to accept the other as an equal until that happens we’ll never move forward, that’s why I say the GFA needs changed or dismantled it’s the only way to remove those that hold us back , I couldn’t care less if it was unionists in power as long as they’re fair to all and respect equality.

If you look how the state was created and look at the the British governments involvement since, you can see why unionism feels this way. They felt under threat because their position is shaky and not built on solid foundations. Some are terrified of calling themselves Irish fgs. The British did this to them and they're still doing it. It's not really a Catholic Protestant issue at all, it's a hangover from imperialism and we're just natives fighting each other. The British are the enemy, they've done this all over the world. Bunch of cunts. And yet fingers are pointing and laughing at us fighting over religion.
It's not that.

Reactions: 5
That was days of yore the world has moved on .Britain ain’t great anymore they’re a circus governed by clowns at the mercy of others , if people want to hang on to 19th century ideals, good luck to them, the rest of us shouldn’t have to suffer.

Reactions: 4
We're still the casualties of it though. I just wish people here in the North realised it.

You can't spend your whole life being a victim , we can't change the past but we can learn from it , I think we've served our time and now we need to move on .

Reactions: 5
This place is depressing at times. I completely acknowledge the hurt caused to the PUL community during the troubles but if I’m being completely honest I don’t see many people from that community acknowledge my hurt or the hurt in my community but tbh I’m over it. I know what happened and I still have the courage of my convictions to stick by my belief that this place, Northern Ireland, the North, has been a downright failure for every single one of us, Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter. We are the forgotten people left to fight it out among ourselves and the DUP want to keep us there.

This is the type of attitude I’m talking about. You can only hope common sense prevails in the end.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
To be honest I've said similar on these threads about the PIRA as Jamie's views about his side.
But I'm not an PIRA supporter, I think they caused horrific pain and hurt to so many people. But I do agree there wasn't much of an alternative, the British armed a militia here to kill, what's the alternative to that.. .let them? And that view is very very difficult for people to understand. I certainly don't want us to go back to that. I know people might read that and feel hurt but that's what my mind says, minds may never meet on that.
It certainly doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to my unionist friends.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.