Northern Ireland #2 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Didn't assume that at all. In fact I know a great many unionists who can't stand the OO or what they represent. The fact remains that the video exists and nobody stood up and said stop this.
Would you have said stop this?

I think its fairly obvious because of the video, because of how relaxed and at ease those patrons are and because I've had multiple conversations over the years about the perils of the GAA and their alleged links with the IRA. I'm sure the PSNI don't require my input and I can assure you I don't know any of the monsters singing in the video.
Seeing as you keep mentioning it does it not concern you at all that GAA do seem to like calling their grounds or parks etc after IRA men?

On the video, I wouldn’t have been present in an orange hall myself but I like to think I would have spoken up in the scenario hypothetically, but in any scenario where speaking up about sectarianism/racism etc personal safety comes into it so would assess a particular scenario on the event at that time.

Reactions: 4
Is that what you were saying? If it was then I apologise.
Yes, I said “It is disgusting that such a song was ever written, learned and sang and equally as disgusting that those around them clapped and cheered along which implies it’s a normal thing to do. I hope all in attendance can be identified and face the courts. May they rot in hell for the pain they will have caused Michaela’s family.”

Reactions: 5
Seeing as you keep mentioning it does it not concern you at all that GAA do seem to like calling their grounds or parks etc after IRA men?

On the video, I wouldn’t have been present in an orange hall myself but I like to think I would have spoken up in the scenario hypothetically, but in any scenario where speaking up about sectarianism/racism etc personal safety comes into it so would assess a particular scenario on the event at that time.
I don't know why the GAA choose to name their grounds after hunger strikers and people who died in the Easter rising etc. You'd have to write to them and ask them. I just watch the football. It's as simple as that. It's not sectarian. It's a sport and a bloody exciting one to watch.
A few years ago a couple of lassies I know who played in a band and were out marching got sectarian abuse from a GAA team and I was as upset about that as I am about this. There is literally no place for it.

Reactions: 2
I don't know why the GAA choose to name their grounds after hunger strikers and people who died in the Easter rising etc. You'd have to write to them and ask them. I just watch the football. It's as simple as that. It's not sectarian. It's a sport and a bloody exciting one to watch.
A few years ago a couple of lassies I know who played in a band and were out marching got sectarian abuse from a GAA team and I was as upset about that as I am about this. There is literally no place for it.
Maybe they're seen as martyrs and not terrorists ,the voices of Irish history . The like of Bobby Sands would be seen for his stance on polical status for prisoners ,not for the crime he was committed for .

A great number of GAA grounds are named after “United Irishmen”, members of the Society of United Irishmen, a predominantly Protestant organisation. Besides none of that has a single thing to do with Michaela McAreavy.
I would love those who haven’t a clue about the GAA to go to an All Ireland Final in Croke Park, if you can see anything sectarian about it then I’ll eat my hat. I see Doug Beattie has got behind the redevelopment of Casement Park, Arlene went to a game and said she enjoyed it. It is sport, end of.

• Heart
I've literally never seen anything sectarian at a GAA match that's why I was so disappointed at what occurred with those lassies.
However there was an armagh supporter who wore a sash to matches but that was tongue in cheek, I just don't know if that would be seen as disrespect to the OO. I guess it probably would have been.

Maybe they're seen as martyrs and not terrorists ,the voices of Irish history . The like of Bobby Sands would be seen for his stance on polical status for prisoners ,not for the crime he was committed for .
Yes I can understand that to a large portion of society they are voices in Irish history, and then there’s another large portion of society who will never forget their crimes. It’s always going to be controversial because the history is very complex. For example naming a playground after Raymond mccreesh - some are harshly reminded that he was a member of the IRA who attempted to murder the British, carrying weapons that were used in the kingsmill massacre, while others will always declare him a hero. I’m sure there would also be a large portion of society outraged if a playground was named after a loyalist terrorist like Michael Stone.

Yes I can understand that to a large portion of society they are voices in Irish history, and then there’s another large portion of society who will never forget their crimes. It’s always going to be controversial because the history is very complex. For example naming a playground after Raymond mccreesh - some are harshly reminded that he was a member of the IRA who attempted to murder the British, carrying weapons that were used in the kingsmill massacre, while others will always declare him a hero. I’m sure there would also be a large portion of society outraged if a playground was named after a loyalist terrorist like Michael Stone.
I can understand that ,but as there’s so many st names and buildings named after British sovereignty it’s taken in the same context by some.

Reactions: 3
I can understand that ,but as there’s so many st names and buildings named after British sovereignty it’s taken in the same context by some.
I appreciate that must be difficult for a lot of people too.

Honestly if a play park was named after Michael Stone I’d roll my eyes and move on. I certainly wouldn’t vilify every man, woman and child that used the park or refer to it as a paramilitary training camp the way GAA grounds have been referred to. I have no issue shopping on Royal Avenue for example 😂 It’s a name and I don’t read much into it.

I see the Michaela story has reached the ITV news. TUV and UUP have condemned the video, the DUP are still quiet but I’d imagine they’ll have to say something now that the other parties have.

Honestly if a play park was named after Michael Stone I’d roll my eyes and move on. I certainly wouldn’t vilify every man, woman and child that used the park or refer to it as a paramilitary training camp the way GAA grounds have been referred to. I have no issue shopping on Royal Avenue for example 😂 It’s a name and I don’t read much into it.

I see the Michaela story has reached the ITV news. TUV and UUP have condemned the video, the DUP are still quiet but I’d imagine they’ll have to say something now that the other parties have.
No Jeffrey and Arlene have condemned it, Arlenes (especially ) felt sincere .

Reactions: 1

You see there’s things that are completely legal and above board but very offensive to others, take the paras emblem ,that’s completely off limits in Derry ( they even agree with this) but is flown every year in loyalist areas to celebrate Bloody Sunday…That’s the difference.
A tricolour was never allowed to be displayed in Stormont either so there was no inclusion , but only certain communities will see this ,the other will see nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Honestly I’m gutted for her family. They’ve been so dignified and quietly fought for justice which they still haven’t got.
Someone took the time to write that song, others took the time to learn it and at no point did it cross their mind how cruel it was? The older men disappointed me most, I’m sure some of them are fathers. Then someone thought it was ok to film it and post it publicly? To what end? To hurt her family even more.

You see there’s things that are completely legal and above board but very offensive to others, take the paras emblem ,that’s completely off limits in Derry ( they even agree with this) but is flown every year in loyalist areas to celebrate Bloody Sunday…That’s the difference.
Oh yeah I know, I see it often and not just in Derry. Sometimes you just have to give them a fool’s pardon.

Well I don’t go out of my way to be offended either, Ive never been in any of the parks I couldn’t tell you where they are as the only time I’ve heard about them has been when they’ve made headlines. I was just explaining why some people may take offence to them. Let’s face it it’s popular to be offended in this country.

The DUP have condemned it, the orange lodge have condemned it, even Jamie Bryson has condemned it!

Bryson has not condemned it, he’s retweeted JD sentiments and then retweeted someone showing their disgust that unionists are coming down on loyalists over it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.