Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jackie Baillie kept her seat and Jackson Carlow aswell. Theres been a lot of tactical voting from the unionist community and its worked, however from my little analysis there has been far more Tory votes going to Labour than the other way around.

Jackie Baillie kept her seat and Jackson Carlow aswell. Theres been a lot of tactical voting from the unionist community and its worked, however from my little analysis there has been far more Tory votes going to Labour than the other way around.
Agree. Those Labour voters that didn't switch are the ones Nicola needs to win over in indyref2. That an independent Scotland is better than a lifetime of tory rule.

Reactions: 2
It’s really interesting to see the percentage split and the changes from 2016. There’s an account on twitter - BallotBoxScot - posting all the numbers and it’s really interesting to see which parties are losing and gaining votes in which constituencies.

The snp had to take Jackie Baillie's seat, she increased her wafer thin majority very well, doubt there will be an snp majority in the Scottish Parliament now.

A majority in the Scottish Parliament is very hard to get. They did it in 2011 but its not likely at all.

A coalition with the greens would do nicely (imo) the Greens are still a pro independence party so I think SNP will be very happy this evening.

In my constiuency SNP hold, and both Labour and Conservative down % on 2016. Im shocked as I really expected Labour to have an increase in unionist votes.

Turnout has been good and thats a sign of democracy in action and thats positive imo regardless of how the votes go.

Agree. Those Labour voters that didn't switch are the ones Nicola needs to win over in indyref2. That an independent Scotland is better than a lifetime of tory rule.
Absolutely but there are many SNP voters who are not pro Indy but have voted SNP yesterday to heard off the Conservatives.

Ive never voted SNP before yesterday. I dont think it would have mattered in my constituency tbf but it could affect the list.

I can see there being another indyref or at least very very heavy pressure to have one since Westminster has to give yay or nay to it. Would an independent Scotland still be able to afford free Uni, prescriptions, etc without money from the Union, how else would the afford it?

The snp had to take Jackie Baillie's seat, she increased her wafer thin majority very well, doubt there will be an snp majority in the Scottish Parliament now.
Tory votes were down 6% and Labour up 6% so looks like they’ve voted tactically.

A majority was always unlikely anyway. One of the SNP guys (can’t remember his name but he has yellow glasses 🤩) reminded the interviewer that out of all the governments in the world that use the same voting system there isn’t a single one who has a majority. 2011 was completely against the grain and unlikely to ever be repeated anywhere.

A clear Indy majority is reach again 💛

I’m just glad Alex Salmond hasn’t been given the time of day tbh.

I can see there being another indyref or at least very very heavy pressure to have one since Westminster has to give yay or nay to it. Would an independent Scotland still be able to afford free Uni, prescriptions, etc without money from the Union, how else would the afford it?
Yes they would. The money from the union is put into the union from Scotland. We’d also have the benefit of all our exports that are counted at port of departure rather than origin. When you look beyond the Unionist media there is articles/research etc that say public spending could actually continue to grow rather than need to be cut.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I wish Scotland would just f*ck-off. And I love the Scots. But I'm tired of this Independence cr@p. Just go. Unless the EU change their entry rules (which they probably will just to p1ss-off us English) it takes 10 years to apply to be a member state of the EU and all members have to vote for it. Spain will never vote, because it'll mean the Basque's will leave Spain. It's a joke. Plus Scotland will need their own currency. LOL. At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Well that post just sums up your ignorance and the media narrative.

Spain have never said they would veto Scotland rejoining the EU. They would not acknowledge our independence if we had an illegal Referendum yes as they have done so with the Catalans but have confirmed if everything was done legally they would accept Scotland into the EU if it met the criteria and requested to join.

Your English tax? You do know we pay tax in Scotland too? Our tax is paying for free prescriptions and free university. It's not our fault you keep voting for a party that gives tax breaks to their rich pals and gives nothing to the worse off in society.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Yel

Did you know it would cost more to administer a means tested prescription service in Scotland than to just make it a free service for all.
Can you link to the report / study that shows this?

Would an independent Scotland still be able to afford free Uni, prescriptions, etc without money from the Union, how else would the afford it?
They definitely could; as they control where money is spent and could keep the big pr wins and cut other areas.

The big problem with the last one is the ambitions laid out were largely based on wishful thinking, very much not the fully costed plan that it was claimed to be.

The world has changed quite a bit since 2014 and there's now this huge covid debt that will start to be delt with in a year or two.

Reactions: 1
Must admit this did make me chuckle. It probably is quite mental to folk who don’t have this mix-match merged voting system at their parliaments.

All in all, looking like a very positive election for SNP and the Greens.

0506AECF-6767-4D73-9BF0-97EF77E56843.jpeg

I think its a stonker of a result. First woman of colour into Holyrood. My list vote went towards the Greens taking a seat. They have a good independence majority now with the Greens on track for 9!! seats.

So yes imo there is a mandate for another rederendum.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think its a stonker of a result. First woman of colour into Holyrood. My list vote went towards the Greens taking a seat. They have a good independence majority now with the Greens on track for 9!! seats.

So yes imo there is a mandate for another rederendum.
Yep, agreed. It’s strange that such a focus is being placed on the majority: Holyrood being designed to specifically prevent a majority. 2011 was such a bolt out the blue. SNP after 14 years in office have pulled off a very impressive achievement with this election. You don’t need to like/support them to recognise that they have a mandate in Scotland. That map is YELLOW.

They increased their vote to surpass any parties vote in Scottish Parliament elections ever.

They flipped Ayr, East Lothian and Edinburgh Central. The only party to flip constituencies in this election.

Greens are hopefully going to do very well on the regional list and those 9 MSPs is an increase from the current 5 they have (I believe?)

My jaw drops at those people claiming SNP was AT LEAST 47% of the vote have no mandate yet they celebrate the Conservatives English victory... with 40% 🙄🤔

I am actually staggered that people are trying to suggest the SNP do not have a mandate in Scotland. Updated map following 6th May election showing the constituent vote...
A4E87F8D-D026-4575-B7F7-2CCECF1923AF.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Yep, agreed. It’s strange that such a focus is being placed on the majority: Holyrood being designed to specifically prevent a majority. 2011 was such a bolt out the blue. SNP after 14 years in office have pulled off a very impressive achievement with this election. You don’t need to like/support them to recognise that they have a mandate in Scotland. That map is YELLOW.

They increased their vote to surpass any parties vote in Scottish Parliament elections ever.

They flipped Ayr, East Lothian and Edinburgh Central. The only party to flip constituencies in this election.

Greens are hopefully going to do very well on the regional list and those 9 MSPs is an increase from the current 5 they have (I believe?)

My jaw drops at those people claiming SNP was AT LEAST 47% of the vote have no mandate yet they celebrate the Conservatives English victory... with 40% 🙄🤔
The Greens had 3 seats I thought but could be wrong, so have gone from 3 to 9. Edit - was 6 to 9. Still a great result. 1/3 more.

I agree, theyve taken 62 constituency seats, which is a lot, like you say, look at the map. That is peoples first choice.

Imagine the leader of your party only getting a seat through the back door way. 🤡

I feel the SNPs popularity is only being buoyed by the Conservatives hold at Westminster. As Ive said many times my vote for the SNP this time is my first one and its in direct response to the Conservatives. I did not feel as strongly when there was a Labour government at WM.

Absolutely to the 40% and hailing that as miraculous victory with a much lower turn out too!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3

Yel

But surely it's apples and pears; a mandate to govern for the next X years yes but a mandate to make a fundamental change to irreversibly change a country is a whole different kettle of fish. I think the Brexit vote should have needed at least 50% of the UK to vote for it for it to take place - quickly did some poor maths and looks like 38% voted for it. Fundamental changes to a country a a world apart from appointing representatives for a few years.

I just wish either way it was clear, all these 50 odd percent for one thing and 40 odd percent for another leads to more division and less cohesion :(. The wounds from the last ref vote are still not healed, let alone Brexit.

However when the first Indy Ref was held the people of Scotland were gaslit by Westminster. Told by David Cameron that if we voted yes we would be turfed out of the EU. So many people myself included, this was one of the main reasons I voted no.

Then the same man okayed the Brexit referendum. Okay he didnt make people vote yes but as a country Scotland voted remain.

The goal posts have moved, that is the basis imo.

I was a no voter and I still think a really strong result for the SNP this time shows the appetite is there. The only reason theyre so adamant there will not be one is because they dont want to be the party who loses the union.

Edit - Im also aware a yes vote wouldnt put Scotland back into the EU, but any trust I had in Westminster is gone.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
But surely it's apples and pears; a mandate to govern for the next X years yes but a mandate to make a fundamental change to irreversibly change a country is a whole different kettle of fish. I think the Brexit vote should have needed at least 50% of the UK to vote for it for it to take place - quickly did some poor maths and looks like 38% voted for it. Fundamental changes to a country a a world apart from appointing representatives for a few years.

I just wish either way it was clear, all these 50 odd percent for one thing and 40 odd percent for another leads to more division and less cohesion :(. The wounds from the last ref vote are still not healed, let alone Brexit.
Same argument could be made that Conservatives 2015 Westminster victory did not mean they had a mandate to hold an EU referendum? They campaigned on that promise and people voted for it. Same as SNP.

I do agree with your point around referendums requiring a higher threshold. It stings that brexit went on 52%/48% of the voting electorate. That people in the 52% camp celebrated a “win” when 16 million fellow citizens did not vote for that. 🤷🏻‍♀️

However, it would be questionable if a 2nd Scottish referendum required a higher threshold when 2016 Brexit was a simple 50%. It definitely would be viewed as completely crooked.

Ultimately people can blame SNP, blame Conservatives, blame Labour. Blame Brexit. It doesn’t change the fact our full country is divided and has been for a long time.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.