Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Disneylover

VIP Member
Definitely! i was in finance before working at NHS. My advice would be to relate your experience to the job description - pick out key parts/tasks that you can work round to previous jobs. I came to NHS after being made redundant too, I really enjoy it.
Thank you so much for replying. I’m going to do the applications later, fingers crossed! X

lexle

Thanks everyone for your heads up! I used to work in the travel industry which was hot on GDPR, we used to get tested and audited on it regularly, we weren’t allowed to disclose booking details to family members so I presume this would be the same

Sorry if I found thick I’ve seen the scenario of what would you do if you found someone you knows records - what would be the proper answer to that? Obviously you shouldn’t pry on these details if they’re not needed but would you be honest that you know them then pass this on to another member of the team as could cause potential conflict?
Yeah that would be the right answer, it was how I answered it pretty much anyway 😄 You will come across people you know, family etc, I do all the time. I think I’ve come across most of my family, even my own! But there’s generally no need to pass on to someone else (but say you would if you are asked) In my role, I just collect the records, input the patient on the computer and send them to where they need to go. There’s never any reason for us to actually look at the notes within the persons record really, not the role I do anyway

McNuggets

Chatty Member
If you can find an admin role in an outpatients department then you shouldn’t have to work bank holidays or Christmas Day.

Disneylover

VIP Member
I’ve worked in finance/admin for years and am due to be made redundant soon, I’ve seen a couple of clerical officer jobs at my local hospital. Is there much chance of getting one when I’ve never worked in the nhs? Any tips for the application form would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

Patsy Stone

Chatty Member
Thanks everyone for your heads up! I used to work in the travel industry which was hot on GDPR, we used to get tested and audited on it regularly, we weren’t allowed to disclose booking details to family members so I presume this would be the same

Sorry if I found thick I’ve seen the scenario of what would you do if you found someone you knows records - what would be the proper answer to that? Obviously you shouldn’t pry on these details if they’re not needed but would you be honest that you know them then pass this on to another member of the team as could cause potential conflict?

Like others have said it really depends on the role some will some won’t. It should say in the job advert/description if you are required too or something along lines of ‘working hours/pattern may vary blah’. Best to ask at interview what working pattern/hours would be like

L7890

I agree with putting examples in to meet the specification. I wasn’t getting interviews prior to me changing my statement a few times.

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
I work in patient enquiries (health records) and also do clerical work in the NHS. I've had numerous interviews but have never been asked what would I do if I came across the records of someone I know. I mean, it's going to happen more than likely. I would just be professional and obviously dont share the information or access info that is not relevant to the role your carrying out.

Some interviews, they have asked very specific questions relating to the job - tough to answer if you've not done the job before. But others have been very generic and quite simple.

Always try and back your answers up with an example.

Last edited:

L7890

Hello is anyone here an admin in the nhs ? Do you like it ? And are you required to work Christmas Day.

PeonyGirl

It would really depend on which department and role you were in. Until recently I was an ED (A&E) Receptionist so as the department is open 24/7 then I could be asked to work any bank holiday. We use to split Christmas Day between us though, so would do say a 4-5 hour shift each. I still work for the NHS but my current role does not require me to work bank holidays as it’s not patient facing.

I’ve worked for the NHS for almost 20 years now and for me it’s a great place to work.

L7890

I do bank as well as my usual NHS admin role. So to be on bank I had to complete some basic admin tests (typing skills, excel, outlook). However if you are new to the NHS they'll likely interview you via TEAMs or the phone. I suspect its a bit different now due to Covid. Once you're accepted on bank you are able to put yourself forward for any bank roles advertised.
I didn’t know you could do both? Does bank basically mean you choose your own shifts alongside your normal admin role. Might look into that for more more hours.

Hope77

does anyone work as BANK nhs admin staff? i have just applied to be bank for a full time admin role and was wondering how the process works etc?
I do bank as well as my usual NHS admin role. So to be on bank I had to complete some basic admin tests (typing skills, excel, outlook). However if you are new to the NHS they'll likely interview you via TEAMs or the phone. I suspect its a bit different now due to Covid. Once you're accepted on bank you are able to put yourself forward for any bank roles advertised.

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
does anyone work as BANK nhs admin staff? i have just applied to be bank for a full time admin role and was wondering how the process works etc?