NHS admin role

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello is anyone here an admin in the nhs ? Do you like it ? And are you required to work Christmas Day.

Hi šŸ‘‹ I am an admin for an NHS service. The service I work for is closed on Christmas Day so weā€™re not required to work and depending on the dept./service you would work for you may not have too. I love my work Iā€™ve worked in a few NHS services (physical health, mental health and drug & alcohol)

Reactions: 2
Iā€™m a NHS clerical officer & Iā€™ll be working on Christmas Day as where I work is 24/7 service. As above poster says, it all depends on what department you work in. Iā€™m fairly new to my position but I really love it

Reactions: 3
I have a close friend who is NHS admin but her department is 9-5 Mon-Fri and no Christmas Day. As above, it really depends what department you're in.

Reactions: 1
I'm NHS ā€admin&clericalā€ like others have commented it depends on the service you work in. But I imagine all our JDs have caveats, so should the needs of the service change so could your responsibilities and hours. Like others have commented I love my job and I'm proud of the service I work for

Reactions: 3
Itā€™s like any other job, much of itt depends on your colleagues if you will enjoy it.
On a different note depending where your role is the chances are if they are open on Xmas day you will have to work. But honestly if itā€™s a good job opportunity does it matter? Xmas can be celebrated any day

If you can find an admin role in an outpatients department then you shouldnā€™t have to work bank holidays or Christmas Day.

I work in an oncology department so we close on Christmas/New Year but are still open for patients to have their treatment on bank holidays. If Christmas/New Year falls on a weekday we open Saturdays & Sundays to compensate

Hi šŸ‘‹ I am an admin for an NHS service. The service I work for is closed on Christmas Day so weā€™re not required to work and depending on the dept./service you would work for you may not have too. I love my work Iā€™ve worked in a few NHS services (physical health, mental health and drug & alcohol)
I will be working in mental health :)

I will be working in mental health :)
I work for a local community mental health team so weā€™re a 9-5 Monday - Friday service. Itā€™s interesting work and Iā€™m lucky to work with a great team and I love the diverse patient group we have. Good luck in your new role - are you working in community or a ward setting? X

Like others have said it really depends on the role some will some wonā€™t. It should say in the job advert/description if you are required too or something along lines of ā€˜working hours/pattern may vary blahā€™. Best to ask at interview what working pattern/hours would be like

I work for a local community mental health team so weā€™re a 9-5 Monday - Friday service. Itā€™s interesting work and Iā€™m lucky to work with a great team and I love the diverse patient group we have. Good luck in your new role - are you working in community or a ward setting? X
I will be 9-5 also ! It is also community. Thank you I am looking forward to it I will be part time 22.5 hours x

I was and I miss it a lot! šŸ˜” Like others have said, it would depend on the department. I worked in Children's Services, our specific part never had to work Christmas Day.

Sorry to jump on but Iā€™ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I havenā€™t got experience but Iā€™m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol šŸ˜“

• Sad
Sorry to jump on but Iā€™ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I havenā€™t got experience but Iā€™m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol šŸ˜“
Lots of trusts do apprentice roles. I used hours from my last vacancy to create an apprentice position. For the reason you state above, I get lots of applications from clearly awesome people but because there's no experience you can't award enough points to get them shortlisted for interview. Having an apprentice has worked so well for us as a team, the existing staff enjoy developing the apprentice and the apprentice is loving it. She's doing so well she has been invited to a patient group to talk to them about her apprenticeship. Just a tip for your future applications really focus on your values and behaviours in your supporting information, people can be trained to use new OS but you can't train someone to be nice! Good luck with your applications x

Reactions: 5
The trust i work for also do apprenticeships so it can be worth looking into as you donā€™t need as much experience. Try to work as much info/examples as you can from your application/ written statement and do keep trying.

I agree with putting examples in to meet the specification. I wasnā€™t getting interviews prior to me changing my statement a few times.

iā€™m sure your doing this already but match your personal statement to the person spec, for example if they want someone confident you should say ā€˜iā€™m willing to talk to anyoneā€™ along those lines for each point they give, basically reword it :) iā€™ve sat with my manager while she was going through applications and had a small insight to the hiring process x

Its not paid but do-it.org often have a lot of ads for volunteer admin and/or social media type roles. Some you can do from home and only for a few hours a week.