Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

shana

Sorry to jump on but I’ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I haven’t got experience but I’m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol 😓
i’m sure your doing this already but match your personal statement to the person spec, for example if they want someone confident you should say ‘i’m willing to talk to anyone’ along those lines for each point they give, basically reword it :) i’ve sat with my manager while she was going through applications and had a small insight to the hiring process x

Reactions: 1

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
No, you don't wear scrubs. Masks are worn around the hospitals. They are meant to be worn in the office but not everyone does.

Gimmethegossipgirl

Agree with other posters they’ll likely be questions about confidentiality, data protection possibly what you would do if you came across records of someone you know

Dealing with difficult patients/staff members

They may ask about your IT skills and communication skills. If they use specific systems they won’t expect you to have experience if you’ve not worked in an NHS setting before

Good luck 🤞

Linda La Hughes

VIP Member
I work in an oncology department so we close on Christmas/New Year but are still open for patients to have their treatment on bank holidays. If Christmas/New Year falls on a weekday we open Saturdays & Sundays to compensate

Chandler Bing

VIP Member
I have a close friend who is NHS admin but her department is 9-5 Mon-Fri and no Christmas Day. As above, it really depends what department you're in.

Disneylover

VIP Member
I second the advise to tailor your experience in previous jobs to parts in the job description. Reference them in interview too.The NHS is always looking for good admin and you don’t always need previous experience as training is always given. Sorry to hear of your redundancy but good luck in your application and hopefully new job x
Thanks so much, I’ve applied so fingers crossed! X

lexle

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread!

I’ve got an interview next week over Teams for a health records clerk position in the NHS, does anyone have any advice/know what types of questions will be asked?

I got made redundant back in February so I am nervous beyond relief 😬
This is my job. I was just asked a couple of scenarios like if I came across the records of someone I knew, what would I do etc. Was I able to confidently use a computer and speak on the phone to other departments... It was a fairly easy, informal interview actually and I was offered the job at the end 😊

Patsy Stone

Chatty Member

I’ve got an interview next week over Teams for a health records clerk position in the NHS, does anyone have any advice/know what types of questions will be asked?

Woolmercardington

VIP Member

Agree, they usually always ask about confidentiality. Also, how would you deal with an angry patient.

Hope77

For my interview I had to explain how I managed difficult situations in the past (love to talk about managing expectations, being polite, confirming actions via email etc), how I have used excel to manage 'projects' etc.
I would go through the job description and make notes about how you can apply your experience to it, with examples. You can take a notepad into an interview so you have notes to refer to.
You'll be fine I'm sure :)

• Heart

Hope77

thank you all! also have a question for nhs admin - do you guys wear scrubs and/or ppe or is it just normal office wear?
I am office based so wear normal office clothes. I do have to wear a mask when not in my office, or when someone comes into the office (that isn't normally in that office). Admin don't wear scrubs in our hospital.

Hope77

I didn’t know you could do both? Does bank basically mean you choose your own shifts alongside your normal admin role. Might look into that for more more hours.
Yes, I'm part time in that I do less than 37.5 hours a week so I'm on bank for 2 Trusts to help get some extra hours. You pick and choose, the majority of jobs will be full time so its not easy to find additional part time hours but I've been lucky lately. Like you say, helps top up the funds! Definitely ask, its easy to sign up.

L7890

Hi 👋 I am an admin for an NHS service. The service I work for is closed on Christmas Day so we’re not required to work and depending on the dept./service you would work for you may not have too. I love my work I’ve worked in a few NHS services (physical health, mental health and drug & alcohol)
I will be working in mental health :)

L7890

I work for a local community mental health team so we’re a 9-5 Monday - Friday service. It’s interesting work and I’m lucky to work with a great team and I love the diverse patient group we have. Good luck in your new role - are you working in community or a ward setting? X
I will be 9-5 also ! It is also community. Thank you I am looking forward to it I will be part time 22.5 hours x

em97!

I have a admin assistant apprenticeship interview for the NHS coming up soon, could anyone tell me what sort of questions they ask please. Any help is much appreciated.

clueless

Chatty Member
I was and I miss it a lot! 😔 Like others have said, it would depend on the department. I worked in Children's Services, our specific part never had to work Christmas Day.