NHS admin role

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to jump on but I’ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I haven’t got experience but I’m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol 😓
it could be in the way you are describing yourself in your applications. Have you any work experience at all??

Reactions: 1
Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I have work experience but in care, catering, cleaning.... it doesn’t help that I’m 42! (Deciding on a career change 🤦🏻‍♀️) I don’t think that goes in my favour x

Reactions: 2
Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I have work experience but in care, catering, cleaning.... it doesn’t help that I’m 42! (Deciding on a career change 🤦🏻‍♀️) I don’t think that goes in my favour x
It may be worth applying to do bank work - basically temping within your local Trust. Will help get experience...worth speaking to them.
Definitely tailor your CV to the job spec, keep going it will happen!

does anyone work as BANK nhs admin staff? i have just applied to be bank for a full time admin role and was wondering how the process works etc?

does anyone work as BANK nhs admin staff? i have just applied to be bank for a full time admin role and was wondering how the process works etc?
I do bank as well as my usual NHS admin role. So to be on bank I had to complete some basic admin tests (typing skills, excel, outlook). However if you are new to the NHS they'll likely interview you via TEAMs or the phone. I suspect its a bit different now due to Covid. Once you're accepted on bank you are able to put yourself forward for any bank roles advertised.

I do bank as well as my usual NHS admin role. So to be on bank I had to complete some basic admin tests (typing skills, excel, outlook). However if you are new to the NHS they'll likely interview you via TEAMs or the phone. I suspect its a bit different now due to Covid. Once you're accepted on bank you are able to put yourself forward for any bank roles advertised.
I didn’t know you could do both? Does bank basically mean you choose your own shifts alongside your normal admin role. Might look into that for more more hours.

I didn’t know you could do both? Does bank basically mean you choose your own shifts alongside your normal admin role. Might look into that for more more hours.
Yes, I'm part time in that I do less than 37.5 hours a week so I'm on bank for 2 Trusts to help get some extra hours. You pick and choose, the majority of jobs will be full time so its not easy to find additional part time hours but I've been lucky lately. Like you say, helps top up the funds! Definitely ask, its easy to sign up.

I’ve worked in finance/admin for years and am due to be made redundant soon, I’ve seen a couple of clerical officer jobs at my local hospital. Is there much chance of getting one when I’ve never worked in the nhs? Any tips for the application form would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

I’ve worked in finance/admin for years and am due to be made redundant soon, I’ve seen a couple of clerical officer jobs at my local hospital. Is there much chance of getting one when I’ve never worked in the nhs? Any tips for the application form would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
Definitely! i was in finance before working at NHS. My advice would be to relate your experience to the job description - pick out key parts/tasks that you can work round to previous jobs. I came to NHS after being made redundant too, I really enjoy it.

Definitely! i was in finance before working at NHS. My advice would be to relate your experience to the job description - pick out key parts/tasks that you can work round to previous jobs. I came to NHS after being made redundant too, I really enjoy it.
Thank you so much for replying. I’m going to do the applications later, fingers crossed! X

I second the advise to tailor your experience in previous jobs to parts in the job description. Reference them in interview too.The NHS is always looking for good admin and you don’t always need previous experience as training is always given. Sorry to hear of your redundancy but good luck in your application and hopefully new job x

I second the advise to tailor your experience in previous jobs to parts in the job description. Reference them in interview too.The NHS is always looking for good admin and you don’t always need previous experience as training is always given. Sorry to hear of your redundancy but good luck in your application and hopefully new job x
Thanks so much, I’ve applied so fingers crossed! X

does anyone have any interview tips for an admin bank role? my interview is tomorrow :( i just have no idea where to begin when i'm preparing for this.

For my interview I had to explain how I managed difficult situations in the past (love to talk about managing expectations, being polite, confirming actions via email etc), how I have used excel to manage 'projects' etc.
I would go through the job description and make notes about how you can apply your experience to it, with examples. You can take a notepad into an interview so you have notes to refer to.
You'll be fine I'm sure :)

• Heart
does anyone have any interview tips for an admin bank role? my interview is tomorrow :( i just have no idea where to begin when i'm preparing for this.
They'll usually ask questions such as; how would you prioritise your workload, how would you handle a difficult patient, how do you work in a team, etc.

• Heart
It would really depend on which department and role you were in. Until recently I was an ED (A&E) Receptionist so as the department is open 24/7 then I could be asked to work any bank holiday. We use to split Christmas Day between us though, so would do say a 4-5 hour shift each. I still work for the NHS but my current role does not require me to work bank holidays as it’s not patient facing.

I’ve worked for the NHS for almost 20 years now and for me it’s a great place to work.