NHS admin role

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
thank you all! also have a question for nhs admin - do you guys wear scrubs and/or ppe or is it just normal office wear?
I am office based so wear normal office clothes. I do have to wear a mask when not in my office, or when someone comes into the office (that isn't normally in that office). Admin don't wear scrubs in our hospital.

Reactions: 1
No, you don't wear scrubs. Masks are worn around the hospitals. They are meant to be worn in the office but not everyone does.

Just doing an application for an admin role at a GP surgery. Can anyone help with what they would be looking for with this section please? Thanks! X
Just take each point and write about it.
1. Write about your education background/qualifications. If there are any specific qualifications mentioned on the application/job description make sure to mention them.
2. Give an awareness of your understanding of how the NHS works, particularly from a primary care point of view.
3. Here you need to show you understand what the role is and highlight your abilities to achieve the role. Sell yourself.
4. Say you are willing to undertake all necessary training relevant to the post and how you are aware of the importance of CPD.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread!

I’ve got an interview next week over Teams for a health records clerk position in the NHS, does anyone have any advice/know what types of questions will be asked?

I got made redundant back in February so I am nervous beyond relief 😬

I’ve got an interview next week over Teams for a health records clerk position in the NHS, does anyone have any advice/know what types of questions will be asked?

From experience I’d imagine one or more questions wil relate to confidentiality. Read up on the Caldecott principles and have a read up on the hospital trust values too 👍🏼

This is my job. I was just asked a couple of scenarios like if I came across the records of someone I knew, what would I do etc. Was I able to confidently use a computer and speak on the phone to other departments... It was a fairly easy, informal interview actually and I was offered the job at the end 😊

Agree, they usually always ask about confidentiality. Also, how would you deal with an angry patient.

Know what the role itself involves
Data protection
Confidentiality
Complaints/Dealing with irrate client (& doctors!!)/what would you do if you made a mistake
Strengths & weaknesses
Might want to know about your flexibility & work life balance
They will want to hear about your organisational, communication and admin/IT skills.

Agree with other posters they’ll likely be questions about confidentiality, data protection possibly what you would do if you came across records of someone you know

Dealing with difficult patients/staff members

They may ask about your IT skills and communication skills. If they use specific systems they won’t expect you to have experience if you’ve not worked in an NHS setting before

Good luck 🤞

Thanks everyone for your heads up! I used to work in the travel industry which was hot on GDPR, we used to get tested and audited on it regularly, we weren’t allowed to disclose booking details to family members so I presume this would be the same

Sorry if I found thick I’ve seen the scenario of what would you do if you found someone you knows records - what would be the proper answer to that? Obviously you shouldn’t pry on these details if they’re not needed but would you be honest that you know them then pass this on to another member of the team as could cause potential conflict?

Thanks everyone for your heads up! I used to work in the travel industry which was hot on GDPR, we used to get tested and audited on it regularly, we weren’t allowed to disclose booking details to family members so I presume this would be the same

Sorry if I found thick I’ve seen the scenario of what would you do if you found someone you knows records - what would be the proper answer to that? Obviously you shouldn’t pry on these details if they’re not needed but would you be honest that you know them then pass this on to another member of the team as could cause potential conflict?
Yeah that would be the right answer, it was how I answered it pretty much anyway 😄 You will come across people you know, family etc, I do all the time. I think I’ve come across most of my family, even my own! But there’s generally no need to pass on to someone else (but say you would if you are asked) In my role, I just collect the records, input the patient on the computer and send them to where they need to go. There’s never any reason for us to actually look at the notes within the persons record really, not the role I do anyway

I work in patient enquiries (health records) and also do clerical work in the NHS. I've had numerous interviews but have never been asked what would I do if I came across the records of someone I know. I mean, it's going to happen more than likely. I would just be professional and obviously dont share the information or access info that is not relevant to the role your carrying out.

Some interviews, they have asked very specific questions relating to the job - tough to answer if you've not done the job before. But others have been very generic and quite simple.

Always try and back your answers up with an example.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on but I’ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I haven’t got experience but I’m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol 😓
Get your degree is your first priority thats your foot in the door to a job.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Had my interview yesterday and just been offered the job 🎉🍾🎊

• Heart
Reactions: 6