Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

No style rocky

Sorry to jump on but Iā€™ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I havenā€™t got experience but Iā€™m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol šŸ˜“
Lots of trusts do apprentice roles. I used hours from my last vacancy to create an apprentice position. For the reason you state above, I get lots of applications from clearly awesome people but because there's no experience you can't award enough points to get them shortlisted for interview. Having an apprentice has worked so well for us as a team, the existing staff enjoy developing the apprentice and the apprentice is loving it. She's doing so well she has been invited to a patient group to talk to them about her apprenticeship. Just a tip for your future applications really focus on your values and behaviours in your supporting information, people can be trained to use new OS but you can't train someone to be nice! Good luck with your applications x

Reactions: 5

NorthernBelle

Chatty Member
Iā€™m a NHS clerical officer & Iā€™ll be working on Christmas Day as where I work is 24/7 service. As above poster says, it all depends on what department you work in. Iā€™m fairly new to my position but I really love it

Reactions: 3

No style rocky

I'm NHS ā€admin&clericalā€ like others have commented it depends on the service you work in. But I imagine all our JDs have caveats, so should the needs of the service change so could your responsibilities and hours. Like others have commented I love my job and I'm proud of the service I work for

Reactions: 3

Gimmethegossipgirl

Definitely! i was in finance before working at NHS. My advice would be to relate your experience to the job description - pick out key parts/tasks that you can work round to previous jobs. I came to NHS after being made redundant too, I really enjoy it.
I second the advise to tailor your experience in previous jobs to parts in the job description. Reference them in interview too.The NHS is always looking for good admin and you donā€™t always need previous experience as training is always given. Sorry to hear of your redundancy but good luck in your application and hopefully new job x

Reactions: 2

Gimmethegossipgirl

I will be working in mental health :)
I work for a local community mental health team so weā€™re a 9-5 Monday - Friday service. Itā€™s interesting work and Iā€™m lucky to work with a great team and I love the diverse patient group we have. Good luck in your new role - are you working in community or a ward setting? X

OhMyGaad

Just doing an application for an admin role at a GP surgery. Can anyone help with what they would be looking for with this section please? Thanks! X
Just take each point and write about it.
1. Write about your education background/qualifications. If there are any specific qualifications mentioned on the application/job description make sure to mention them.
2. Give an awareness of your understanding of how the NHS works, particularly from a primary care point of view.
3. Here you need to show you understand what the role is and highlight your abilities to achieve the role. Sell yourself.
4. Say you are willing to undertake all necessary training relevant to the post and how you are aware of the importance of CPD.

Good luck

Last edited:

Hope77

Iā€™ve worked in finance/admin for years and am due to be made redundant soon, Iā€™ve seen a couple of clerical officer jobs at my local hospital. Is there much chance of getting one when Iā€™ve never worked in the nhs? Any tips for the application form would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
Definitely! i was in finance before working at NHS. My advice would be to relate your experience to the job description - pick out key parts/tasks that you can work round to previous jobs. I came to NHS after being made redundant too, I really enjoy it.

Gimmethegossipgirl

Hi šŸ‘‹ I am an admin for an NHS service. The service I work for is closed on Christmas Day so weā€™re not required to work and depending on the dept./service you would work for you may not have too. I love my work Iā€™ve worked in a few NHS services (physical health, mental health and drug & alcohol)

Hope77

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I have work experience but in care, catering, cleaning.... it doesnā€™t help that Iā€™m 42! (Deciding on a career change šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø) I donā€™t think that goes in my favour x
It may be worth applying to do bank work - basically temping within your local Trust. Will help get experience...worth speaking to them.
Definitely tailor your CV to the job spec, keep going it will happen!

Che Guevara

Sorry to jump on but Iā€™ve applied for quite a few various roles to do with admin within the nhs and always get turned down. I havenā€™t got experience but Iā€™m in my first year of an IT degree. How am I meant to get experience if nobody will give me any lol šŸ˜“

• Sad

Che Guevara

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I have work experience but in care, catering, cleaning.... it doesnā€™t help that Iā€™m 42! (Deciding on a career change šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø) I donā€™t think that goes in my favour x

Itā€™s like any other job, much of itt depends on your colleagues if you will enjoy it.
On a different note depending where your role is the chances are if they are open on Xmas day you will have to work. But honestly if itā€™s a good job opportunity does it matter? Xmas can be celebrated any day

Mayday

VIP Member
Its not paid but do-it.org often have a lot of ads for volunteer admin and/or social media type roles. Some you can do from home and only for a few hours a week.

Reactions: 1

NorthernBelle

Chatty Member
Hope you donā€™t mind me jumping on this thread!

Iā€™ve got an interview next week over Teams for a health records clerk position in the NHS, does anyone have any advice/know what types of questions will be asked?

I got made redundant back in February so I am nervous beyond relief šŸ˜¬
From experience Iā€™d imagine one or more questions wil relate to confidentiality. Read up on the Caldecott principles and have a read up on the hospital trust values too šŸ‘šŸ¼

OhMyGaad

Know what the role itself involves
Data protection
Confidentiality
Complaints/Dealing with irrate client (& doctors!!)/what would you do if you made a mistake
Strengths & weaknesses
Might want to know about your flexibility & work life balance
They will want to hear about your organisational, communication and admin/IT skills.

maxrigger

Get your degree is your first priority thats your foot in the door to a job.

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
does anyone have any interview tips for an admin bank role? my interview is tomorrow :( i just have no idea where to begin when i'm preparing for this.
They'll usually ask questions such as; how would you prioritise your workload, how would you handle a difficult patient, how do you work in a team, etc.

• Heart

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
it could be in the way you are describing yourself in your applications. Have you any work experience at all??