New baby and post birth advice #49 IT WAS JUST A NORMAL SIZE SH*T

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m really struggling this week. I have health issues that have flared up (and my period just to add to the mix!) and I’m so tired and achey. I am so desperate for one of the grandparents to offer to take him this weekend. But I feel so guilty for feeling like this too that I’ve got myself upset. I love my son, I love going out with him and our lazy mornings in beds but my god I just really physically need a break this weekend. Other half will be home but honestly, I don’t really feel like I get much of a break when he’s around. Maybe a lie in one day. I feel like I look forward to the days I get a break when the grandparents take him and then I feel like a really tit mum for feeling that way.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks both - I was thinking of removing the old mattress entirely because it's so old, smells bad and online advice seemed to suggest it could harbour harmful bacteria and slightly increase the risk of SIDS, so I'd be looking to put a replacement mattress straight on the flimsy base with hard legs poking through. I've been measuring and looking for the right size replacement, although it's a bit of a minefield!
---

Thank you - I'm still confused 😅 I didn't explain very well - the baseboard is built into the existing mattress so if I get rid of that mattress (because of age/smell/bacteria) I'd be left with no board at all, and the suitable mattresses online all appear to be soft like for a standard cot (i.e. no integrated baseboard). Unless buying separate folding baseboards is a thing?!
Maybe buy a mattress to try it, see if it works? Just check the return policy first 🙂

Reactions: 1
Thanks both - I was thinking of removing the old mattress entirely because it's so old, smells bad and online advice seemed to suggest it could harbour harmful bacteria and slightly increase the risk of SIDS, so I'd be looking to put a replacement mattress straight on the flimsy base with hard legs poking through. I've been measuring and looking for the right size replacement, although it's a bit of a minefield!
---

Thank you - I'm still confused 😅 I didn't explain very well - the baseboard is built into the existing mattress so if I get rid of that mattress (because of age/smell/bacteria) I'd be left with no board at all, and the suitable mattresses online all appear to be soft like for a standard cot (i.e. no integrated baseboard). Unless buying separate folding baseboards is a thing?!
Is it something like this? Mother Nurture Premium Foam Foldable Travel Cot Mattress, White, 95 x 65 x 2.5cm https://amzn.eu/d/5gGHMbe

mine *looks* like that, except judging by the reviews, that one is too soft. Maybe some of these would help?https://originmattress.co.uk/travel-cot-mattress/

Sorry if I’m adding more confusion to the mix, I was in a similar boat in terms of not knowing what to do a month ago or so 😂

I’m really struggling this week. I have health issues that have flared up (and my period just to add to the mix!) and I’m so tired and achey. I am so desperate for one of the grandparents to offer to take him this weekend. But I feel so guilty for feeling like this too that I’ve got myself upset. I love my son, I love going out with him and our lazy mornings in beds but my god I just really physically need a break this weekend. Other half will be home but honestly, I don’t really feel like I get much of a break when he’s around. Maybe a lie in one day. I feel like I look forward to the days I get a break when the grandparents take him and then I feel like a really tit mum for feeling that way.
Needing a break doesn't make you a tit mum at all - we all need a break to help us build back up the resilience to keep going when we're running on empty! If grandparents are happy to help then take advantage of it and let yourself recover ❤
---
Maybe buy a mattress to try it, see if it works? Just check the return policy first 🙂
I'm tempted to do that, I just didn't want to have to duck around with returns if it wasn't right because I'm lazy haha!

I read something the other day that said a tit mum doesn't worry that they are being a tit mum. And you know what that's 100% true! You are a great mum because you worry you're not doing enough.
Also having a break is not failure, its realistic. Could you ask one of the grandparents to have little one this weekend? That way you know your getting a break & it takes some pressure off?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Is it something like this? Mother Nurture Premium Foam Foldable Travel Cot Mattress, White, 95 x 65 x 2.5cm https://amzn.eu/d/5gGHMbe

mine *looks* like that, except judging by the reviews, that one is too soft. Maybe some of these would help?https://originmattress.co.uk/travel-cot-mattress/

Sorry if I’m adding more confusion to the mix, I was in a similar boat in terms of not knowing what to do a month ago or so 😂
Thank you - it was the baby elegance folding one I was looking at. I don't know why I'm struggling so much with this 😅 but my worry is if I put a mattress down and it doesn't have a baseboard, will the legs underneath jab into baby/will the mattress sag into the gaps? I didn't realise I could make buying a new mattress for a 20+ year old travel cot so stressful 😂

Don’t feel tit at all. It’s a cliche but happy mum is a happy baby, and if you feel refreshed after a bit of a break then 100% do it. You’re not in any way shape or form a tit mum xx

• Heart
You can’t pour from an empty cup ❤

• Heart
Thank you. I think I feel bad about it as I have a mum friend who never seems to need a break and her little one doesn’t ever go to others despite her being quite a bit older than my son, so I was starting to question if it was wrong. I do feel like I have so much more energy and mental capacity to give to him after a break 😅

• Heart
Hi guys! Another quick question,
I feed little miss to sleep at night and then my partner puts her in her crib and she sleeps for a while, but the last couple of nights she has woken herself up by rolling over on her front. I try to roll her back and soothe her but she just keeps crying and doesn’t go back to sleep. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! x

Baby skates has had my life this morning. Woke at 5am for a feed, changed his nappy first and then offered him 6oz as normal, stopped after 4.5. Just put him down and heard the unmistakable sound of a poo 🙃 full explosion - in his hair, needed a bedding change etc. just got him sorted and laid him back down and he brought up the milk he’d just had all over his clean sleep bag and sleepsuit. Is it too early for gin?🙃

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Hi guys! Another quick question,
I feed little miss to sleep at night and then my partner puts her in her crib and she sleeps for a while, but the last couple of nights she has woken herself up by rolling over on her front. I try to roll her back and soothe her but she just keeps crying and doesn’t go back to sleep. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! x
I would say that her getting upset about being on her front will probably be a temporary phase, and eventually you’ll be able to leave her on her front if she’s rolled herself over. In the meantime maybe practice settling her in the cot for naps etc.? As then she will get used to falling asleep there rather than while feeding, and it’ll be easier to resettle her if she does wake up and get upset.

How are we all? Life is manic here, with a 5 and a half week old little miss (how did that happen??) and a toddler. Breastfeeding didn’t go very well (again!) so am expressing milk and it’s hard going!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
How are we all? Life is manic here, with a 5 and a half week old little miss (how did that happen??) and a toddler. Breastfeeding didn’t go very well (again!) so am expressing milk and it’s hard going!
I can sympathise about expressing - I was hoping to be able to breastfeed after his tongue tie was cut so had to express regularly to keep my supply up - it felt like I was constantly attached to the bloody machine!! We've combined expressed milk with formula since the start and I've now dropped down to only pumping 2 or 3 times a day to make things more manageable (baby bandit is 15 weeks old) - I recommend combi feeding to make things easier if you're happy to 😊

Aw my little girl is five and a half weeks old too! And also expressing milk 😵💫 every time I look at that bastard pump I feel rage! My supply has dropped so I am now pumping every 2 hours during the day and cutting down on caffeine. Trying to breastfeed but she gets so pissed off its impossible to get her latched on she just sobs onto my boob! That being said I am not also having to navigate looking after a toddler so my hat is off to you and everyone else with a newborn and other children

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I know someone asked this a few days ago but nappies- how do you know you’ve got the wrong size? I’ve got mini muffin in sainsburys 2s and at my mum’s the sainsburys 3s. She seems to have poop explosions in both (which may just be her- the HV has recommended a trip to the GP because she’s started doing the funniest wettest poops about 6/7 times a day recently :(). No idea what she weighs, she’s 4.5 months, probs average weight although she’s got very long legs.

Aw my little girl is five and a half weeks old too! And also expressing milk 😵💫 every time I look at that bastard pump I feel rage! My supply has dropped so I am now pumping every 2 hours during the day and cutting down on caffeine. Trying to breastfeed but she gets so pissed off its impossible to get her latched on she just sobs onto my boob! That being said I am not also having to navigate looking after a toddler so my hat is off to you and everyone else with a newborn and other children
Do you do power pumping? If not that's really helpful for increasing your supply - for a few days you do 10 minutes on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off for an hour (preferably in the morning when supply is highest, but you can do it anytime and potentially more than once a day), and it really helps. Also make sure you're pumping once between 12am and 5am as that's when hormones for keeping your supply up are highest (sorry if I'm telling you things you already know!!)
--
Re. travel cots in case it's helpful for anyone else - I went to Smyths to ask about replacement mattresses and they said you can't get mattresses with a built in baseboard separately, and you can't just use a normal mattress in the travel cot if there's no board (and you also can't use a soft mattress on top of the existing one because it's a suffocation risk - a lot of reviews online recommended this for comfort but it's not necessary, and unsafe). So I'm now the proud owner of a new travel cot! 😅

• Haha
I know someone asked this a few days ago but nappies- how do you know you’ve got the wrong size? I’ve got mini muffin in sainsburys 2s and at my mum’s the sainsburys 3s. She seems to have poop explosions in both (which may just be her- the HV has recommended a trip to the GP because she’s started doing the funniest wettest poops about 6/7 times a day recently :(). No idea what she weighs, she’s 4.5 months, probs average weight although she’s got very long legs.
I find Sainsbury's nappies a funny fit, like they don't come round their stomach fully at the front? It might be worth trying a different brand, see if you get a better fit?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.