New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone's babies have the 4 month sleep regression? Keep reading on Instagram about it from these sleep consultants and absolutely dreading it. LO is 3 month and sleeps generally well at night at the moment!
I don’t think my baby did... he’s 5 months now and I’ve not noticed his sleep getting any worse, I’m not massively convinced by them if I’m honest. A bit like “leaps” sorry if I offend anyone on here but I think they’re ridiculous

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Does anyone have any experience with silent reflux? I’m convinced my daughter has it, spoke to the doctor this morning who seemed reluctant to agree and asked me to take her to be weighed to see if she’s lost weight but if it’s silent reflux I’ve read that babies don’t usually lose weight as they’re not being sick!

Does anyone have any experience with silent reflux? I’m convinced my daughter has it, spoke to the doctor this morning who seemed reluctant to agree and asked me to take her to be weighed to see if she’s lost weight but if it’s silent reflux I’ve read that babies don’t usually lose weight as they’re not being sick!
Oh I feel for you. What makes you think it’s silent reflux?

Oh I feel for you. What makes you think it’s silent reflux?
She just has all the classic symptoms. Fusses during a feed, hard to settle and when she does settle it’s when one of us is holding her, sounds like she’s being sick but nothing comes up and then she pulls a face like she’s just tasted something horrible, frequent hiccups, goes rigid and arches her back during feeding.. the list goes on! Strangely she is fine during the night (12am-6am usually) but the hours between that are hell!

Reactions: 1
Did anyone's babies have the 4 month sleep regression? Keep reading on Instagram about it from these sleep consultants and absolutely dreading it. LO is 3 month and sleeps generally well at night at the moment!
Mine is 6 1/2 months and we didnt find so far that nighttime sleep is affected, it’s the day time naps! Girl just has to practice her skills! 🤣

I don’t think my baby did... he’s 5 months now and I’ve not noticed his sleep getting any worse, I’m not massively convinced by them if I’m honest. A bit like “leaps” sorry if I offend anyone on here but I think they’re ridiculous
The Wonder Weeks app is the most pointless thing ever! Pissed I paid for it. I could have got a meal deal for the price 😂 Everything is online but I also haven’t noticed any difference in sleep or grumpiness during the ‘leaps’!

Reactions: 10
The Wonder Weeks app is the most pointless thing ever! Pissed I paid for it. I could have got a meal deal for the price 😂 Everything is online but I also haven’t noticed any difference in sleep or grumpiness during the ‘leaps’!
Ahh I had the opposite - I’ve noticed she is definitely grumpier and sleeps worse during the leaps! Not that having the app actually changes any of that, but I feel like I have an explanation (although it could be total nonsense 😂)

Reactions: 2
Thank you so much for saying that. I've never believed in them. Babies can't read so they don't know that the book says they should be doing things on a set timetable

Reactions: 5
Thank you so much for saying that. I've never believed in them. Babies can't read so they don't know that the book says they should be doing things on a set timetable
“Hmmm it’s leap 5 today, that means I’m gonna scream all day ☺“ hahahaah

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It’s a small issue in the grand scheme of things - but has anyone found their skin is more sensitive after giving birth? Treated myself to a couple of pricey, good quality skincare products (nothing aggravating like acids etc) and my skin has gone crazy in a way it never has before! Is this a thing? I was prepared for it during pregnancy but thought afterwards it would be fine 🙄

It’s a small issue in the grand scheme of things - but has anyone found their skin is more sensitive after giving birth? Treated myself to a couple of pricey, good quality skincare products (nothing aggravating like acids etc) and my skin has gone crazy in a way it never has before! Is this a thing? I was prepared for it during pregnancy but thought afterwards it would be fine 🙄
My skin is super dry after being pregnant....was totally fine all during. Also my nails have grown bent! I think I defo possible

Advice from experienced mummies please-

Baby is now 3 weeks old and breastfed. He is putting on weight really well and the usual nappies etc. In the day, he is content and does what you’d expect feeds and sleeps and that’s about it.

Nights are a totally different matter. We’re up between 1am and 4am every morning- he screams, arches his back when trying to feed, grunts like he is in pain and is generally very unhappy and unsettled. I’m finding the nights tough and literally nothing will stop him from crying and fussing.

I’ve got some infacol but I don’t understand if is colic or reflux then why is it only bad at night so haven’t used it yet

Any advice? I know it’s early days but I feel like ringing my GP but will probably just be told that this is normal for newborns?

• Heart

Baby is now 3 weeks old and breastfed. He is putting on weight really well and the usual nappies etc. In the day, he is content and does what you’d expect feeds and sleeps and that’s about it.

Nights are a totally different matter. We’re up between 1am and 4am every morning- he screams, arches his back when trying to feed, grunts like he is in pain and is generally very unhappy and unsettled. I’m finding the nights tough and literally nothing will stop him from crying and fussing.

I’ve got some infacol but I don’t understand if is colic or reflux then why is it only bad at night so haven’t used it yet

Any advice? I know it’s early days but I feel like ringing my GP but will probably just be told that this is normal for newborns?
By no means an experienced mummy but we had similar (albeit not every night) - she would cluster feed in the evening and where she was on and off the boob and then my positioning wasn’t quite right when I was feeding in bed she was taking in a lot of air and had really bad trapped wind. It perhaps wasn’t as severe as you’ve described but she would be far more unsettled through the night and would also grunt and arch her back and bring her legs up like she was in pain. I tried burping her far more regularly through the evening, giving her a warm bath and massaging her belly in the warm water and making sure my latch was spot on when she was constantly on and off and it seemed to help. Hope you’re doing okay and are managing to get some rest during the day x

@LilyRose1234 has given some great advice there. Often in the early days positioning during the night isn’t as good (tired mummies!) and that can create wind, which can cause more sick and the reflux like symptoms. It could also be that at that time his wee system is working on poo- would he generally poo round then? Because that can cause them to seem like their are very uncomfortable because their system is so immature.

If it’s just those few hours, as horrendous as that is for you with the timing, and he is content the rest of the day, weight is good and output is good, I’d be tempted to say it’s a wee phase and see how he is in a week. BUT you’re his mummy. If you think something isn’t right you know best. You’re the only one experienced in YOUR baby, and if you want to speak to a GP or your HV then do. It will do no harm, even if they say it’s nothing.

Reactions: 3
Yes my lo had it, like you gp completely fobbed me off until at 17 days old he started wheezing on his formula and he was admitted to hospital who diagnosed silent reflux. Weight was going on fine and he was generally thriving otherwise, turned out to be cmpa in the end, but gaviscon did help lo in the short term, and carobel to thicken feeds.

Keep at the gp if you think that's what it is, mum knows best!

Don’t dread it! I don’t believe in sleep regressions really. Yes, babies go through phases where they sleep better, and some where they wake more often, but it never lasts.
Thank you, I do think these sleep consultants perhaps hype it up to make money too. We shall see what happens, I need to stop reading Instagram and Mumsnet 🤣

Last edited:
Yes my lo had it, like you gp completely fobbed me off until at 17 days old he started wheezing on his formula and he was admitted to hospital who diagnosed silent reflux. Weight was going on fine and he was generally thriving otherwise, turned out to be cmpa in the end, but gaviscon did help lo in the short term, and carobel to thicken feeds.

Keep at the gp if you think that's what it is, mum knows best!

Thank you, I do think these sleep consultants perhaps hype it up to make money too. We shall see what happens, I need to stop reading Instagram and Mumsnet 🤣
Get off mumsnet for sure. It’a scaremongering at its finest!

Reactions: 5
My HV suggested little and often feeds for my daughter instead of her usual 6oz every few hours to see if it helps with reflux. She said she shouldn't take more than 4oz and if she's still hungry an hour later to top her up with a little milk. How do I try distract her for that hour between giving her more feeds? She just cries because she's hungry and I feel like it's really unfair doing this but I'm stuck because it is helping her having a break between feeds

Might be a stupid question but got 8 week jabs coming up soon and want to put baby in an outfit that I don't have to faff around with afterwards when I'm sure there'll be tears. How far up the thigh are the jabs given? Can I just put baby in loose short dungarees so the fabric can just be pushed up rather than having to take anything off? Also any other tips? Got infant calpol at the ready.

Might be a stupid question but got 8 week jabs coming up soon and want to put baby in an outfit that I don't have to faff around with afterwards when I'm sure there'll be tears. How far up the thigh are the jabs given? Can I just put baby in loose short dungarees so the fabric can just be pushed up rather than having to take anything off? Also any other tips? Got infant calpol at the ready.
It's right in the top of their thighs. I'd say sleep suits are probably easier or trousers as you can just pull then down slightly or take their leg out.
Usually they stop crying within a minute or less. It's just the initial shock.
Plus you probably won't have a hand to hold the shorts up because you have to have one hand holding their arms and one hand holding their leg still 😊

It’s quite high up. I’ve taken mine in leggings and just pulled them down, not had to take them off fully.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.