New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone had their post partum bleeding get abit heavier? I'm around 2 weeks post partum and it seems to have ramped up again. I had an episiotomy and the midwife checked the stitches were ok two days ago and they were but the bleeding seems to have got worse!!! Xxxx
Mine did this time.
My first 2 pregnancies, it stopped within 2 weeks.
This time, it was lighter then heavier constantly for around 6 weeks

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Has anyone had their post partum bleeding get abit heavier? I'm around 2 weeks post partum and it seems to have ramped up again. I had an episiotomy and the midwife checked the stitches were ok two days ago and they were but the bleeding seems to have got worse!!! Xxxx
Mine was heavy for the first few days then tailed off and was quite light then about 2/3 weeks later it got heavier. I'd have days where I had no bleeding and other times it was non stop. Just be weary in case of any odour cos that's a sign of infection, I ended up back up at hospital because I was a bit concerned about my coil and when they examined me they said I had an infection xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm 10 days pp and noticed the last couple of days the amount has ramped up. Midwife told me because I'm breast feeding it was likely to do that.

• Heart
Yep! Mine eased off and then around 2 weeks got heavier before easing off again! I ended up going to the doctors to get my stitches checked as they seemed more uncomfortable, but apparently both of those are totally normal! She said to watch for infection but apparently the smell is so overpowering so you’d usually know - she also reassured me that you’d have to be incredibly unlucky to get an infection after around 2 weeks as usually it’s all starting to heal and infections tend to happen the first few days/week. If you’re worried give your GP/midwife/HV a call!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Mine did this time.
My first 2 pregnancies, it stopped within 2 weeks.
This time, it was lighter then heavier constantly for around 6 weeks
Thanks hun,that's reassured me. Xx

Mine was heavy for the first few days then tailed off and was quite light then about 2/3 weeks later it got heavier. I'd have days where I had no bleeding and other times it was non stop. Just be weary in case of any odour cos that's a sign of infection, I ended up back up at hospital because I was a bit concerned about my coil and when they examined me they said I had an infection xx
Thanks hun, some of me stitches were abit loose last week and I had some antibiotics, seems to have cleared the small infection I did have up, but now it's constant bleeding and so was getting abit worried. But il still keep an eye on it xxx

I'm 10 days pp and noticed the last couple of days the amount has ramped up. Midwife told me because I'm breast feeding it was likely to do that.
Oh really? I'm not breastfeeding but I'm glad she's reassured you and I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's experiencing this. I didn't realise it could get worse again after getting lighter xx

Yep! Mine eased off and then around 2 weeks got heavier before easing off again! I ended up going to the doctors to get my stitches checked as they seemed more uncomfortable, but apparently both of those are totally normal! She said to watch for infection but apparently the smell is so overpowering so you’d usually know - she also reassured me that you’d have to be incredibly unlucky to get an infection after around 2 weeks as usually it’s all starting to heal and infections tend to happen the first few days/week. If you’re worried give your GP/midwife/HV a call!
Thanks for this!! There's defo no odour and the antibiotics last week seem to have cleared what infection j did have up. I was wondering if it was my stitches but the midwife checked them and said they were fine,so it must just be the bleeding from giving birth still.

All you ladies are so helpful and supportive on here xxx

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with colic? I’m unsure how much crying is “normal” and how often babies cry with colic?

• Heart
Been admitted back into hospital, baby girl is throwing up and it's bright green and yellow they want to keep her in and scan her belly 😭
Aww no! Hope they get yous sorted and home soon! ❤

It can slow down and then start again heavy again, the midwife told me it’s normal x

• Heart
Does anyone have any experience with colic? I’m unsure how much crying is “normal” and how often babies cry with colic?
What pattern of crying are you experiencing with your LO? How does it tie in with cluster feeds?

@Upintheair83 my pp bleeding was haywire this time. Heavy for a few days, then almost non existent, then heavy again.

• Heart
What pattern of crying are you experiencing with your LO? How does it tie in with cluster feeds?

@Upintheair83 my pp bleeding was haywire this time. Heavy for a few days, then almost non existent, then heavy again.
There doesn’t seem to be a pattern really - she’s definitely fussier in the evenings, but since Saturday she’s cried far more frequently and only stops if she’s being fed. I honestly haven’t timed it but she’ll feed, maybe nap for 10/15 mins, cry so I’ll change her, cuddle her etc and it might stop and if it doesn’t I offer her another feed and she stops straightaway. I’m not sure if it’s enough crying to be colic and given she can be soothed with feeding, I’m not convinced but thought I’d ask the advice of this wise group!!
I think it’s just been a tough few days with the crying and the constant feeding and the lack of sleep and it all caught up with me today

• Heart
There doesn’t seem to be a pattern really - she’s definitely fussier in the evenings, but since Saturday she’s cried far more frequently and only stops if she’s being fed. I honestly haven’t timed it but she’ll feed, maybe nap for 10/15 mins, cry so I’ll change her, cuddle her etc and it might stop and if it doesn’t I offer her another feed and she stops straightaway. I’m not sure if it’s enough crying to be colic and given she can be soothed with feeding, I’m not convinced but thought I’d ask the advice of this wise group!!
I think it’s just been a tough few days with the crying and the constant feeding and the lack of sleep and it all caught up with me today
Oh that sounds exhausting for you and your OH. Crying babies are exhausting, mentally and physically- especially if it’s only feeding that will soothe her ❤
I don’t have experience with colic, but my gut would be if she is soothed by feeding then just continue to feed her as much as she wants, as often as she “asks”. If you aren’t comfortable with that, you could try use of a dummy?

My little girl used to cry blue murder in the evenings for 2/3 hrs solid, she would cry on/off during the day but it was at its worst in the evenings and we thought it was colic at first but turned out to be silent reflux, she constantly wanted fed as well as the milk helps temporarily, I was bottle feeding though

Oh that sounds exhausting for you and your OH. Crying babies are exhausting, mentally and physically- especially if it’s only feeding that will soothe her ❤
I don’t have experience with colic, but my gut would be if she is soothed by feeding then just continue to feed her as much as she wants, as often as she “asks”. If you aren’t comfortable with that, you could try use of a dummy?
She has periods where she’s super chilled and then suddenly switches, luckily it can be stopped by feeding I guess 😂 will try a dummy as well!! 💕

My little girl used to cry blue murder in the evenings for 2/3 hrs solid, she would cry on/off during the day but it was at its worst in the evenings and we thought it was colic at first but turned out to be silent reflux, she constantly wanted fed as well as the milk helps temporarily, I was bottle feeding though
Ooh okay, I might mention it to the health visitor just in case and will have a look at silent reflux! She gets even more agitated when she’s on her back, not sure if that might suggest it’s reflux..

She has periods where she’s super chilled and then suddenly switches, luckily it can be stopped by feeding I guess 😂 will try a dummy as well!! 💕

Ooh okay, I might mention it to the health visitor just in case and will have a look at silent reflux! She gets even more agitated when she’s on her back, not sure if that might suggest it’s reflux..
Yes my girl wouldn’t sleep on her back at all she squealed more when you placed her on her back

Honestly the motto “if in doubt, whip them out” is my mantra until a child is about 18mo 🤣 any time they cry or I dunno what’s wrong, just stick a boob in their mouth and they soon hush up 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I had hiccups this afternoon and my baby laughed for the first time 😭😭😭 he was in hysterics. I wish everyone else found me this funny 😉

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Honestly the motto “if in doubt, whip them out” is my mantra until a child is about 18mo 🤣 any time they cry or I dunno what’s wrong, just stick a boob in their mouth and they soon hush up 🙈
Hahaha the days I think like that are far easier to cope with - think I just need to accept this is my life for now 😂 At least it stops the crying - was at a wedding this weekend and knew that at the very least if she cried I could resolve it fairly easily by popping a boob out, I was just concerned this wasn’t normal but seems to be so I’m just going to have to roll with it 😂

Reactions: 3
I had hiccups this afternoon and my baby laughed for the first time 😭😭😭 he was in hysterics. I wish everyone else found me this funny 😉
My daughter has been doing the odd laugh here and there and I'm determined to be the first one to make her laugh properly 😂
She does 1 single chuckle and then stops 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Me and my partner are competing to be the first person to make him laugh, I’m determined to win!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Our boy is a real chuckle-y fella. He properly guffaws and his whole body shakes (his rolls of fat wobble like he’s a jelly 🤣) he loves a good laugh, but he quite often gives himself the hiccups at the same time 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.