Neighbours

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really hope they bring all the old faces back for the last few episodes.

Reactions: 6
I’m gutted. I love neighbours, it’s my 20 mins of sun and relax. I’ve watched for over 30 years.
It’s like when they cancelled shortland street all over again.

Reactions: 7
I was surprised when I heard the news. I read that Neighbours still has something like 1.5m viewers per day in the UK which seems pretty good for C5 (just a guess!) I guess it must be a money thing. Hopefully someone will pick it up. It's still shown daily in Ireland and I think the Aussie soaps are still pretty popular here...maybe RTE will offer up some cash. Probably not though. I haven't watched Neighbours in years and years (I'm a big H&A fan though!) but I'll still be sad to see it go. I was obsessed with the show as a kid.

Reactions: 5
I’m not surprised really. As much as I love it it’s not been on terrestrial TV in Australia for years and its only Channel 5 that have kept it going this long. It would have been axed years ago had they not stepped up in 2007 to take it on when the Beeb dropped it.

I’d love to know how Home and Away is still going though? I’ve not watched that since about 1998 and I don’t know anyone else who has done either?

I don’t believe it will be axed, the same rumour pops up every year
It does seem pretty final this time though and the BBC are not exactly in a position to have it back even if they wanted to. I guess that leaves ITV or Channel 4 unless someone like Netflix's want to wade in. I don't have Netflix's or anything like that so not sure if they do soaps? I am really gutted as just started watching it again. I don't watch any other soaps anymore, but do lurk on their tattle pages at times and don't think Neighbours seems any worse then others. I think covid hasn't helped storylines. I really will miss it which is odd given I have only just started watching it again. People who have watched it non stop for nearly 40 yrs and don't get out much must be devastated. I know it's only a soap and there are far more important things going on but it's still very sad

Reactions: 3
I’m not surprised really. As much as I love it it’s not been on terrestrial TV in Australia for years and its only Channel 5 that have kept it going this long. It would have been axed years ago had they not stepped up in 2007 to take it on when the Beeb dropped it.

I’d love to know how Home and Away is still going though? I’ve not watched that since about 1998 and I don’t know anyone else who has done either?
Home and away is still really popular in Australia. I don’t think it needs to rely on the Uk to survive unlike Neighbours

Reactions: 8
I’m gutted. I love neighbours, it’s my 20 mins of sun and relax. I’ve watched for over 30 years.
It’s like when they cancelled shortland street all over again.
Where are you? Shortland Street is still running here in NZ ... episodes can be found online ...

I watch h&a. It has its bad moments too but I don’t take either too seriously. I prefer neighbours for embracing the nonsense

I guess that leaves ITV or Channel 4 unless someone like Netflix's want to wade in. I don't have Netflix's or anything like that so not sure if they do soaps?
The main issue is that channel 5 pay for most of the production of the show (hence all those annoying competitions 😂). So another wouldn’t just have to pay for the rights to air it, they’d be paying to make it too. I doubt any channel will want to spend on that😔

• Sad

I still watch Home and Away ... I'll go for long periods watching it, then go off it for a bit; whenever I come back, it's easy enough to pick up where I left off (even if there are new characters). Home and Away has been enjoying its highest ratings ever in the past couple of years, so I don't think it will be goin anywhere.

Home and away is still really popular in Australia. I don’t think it needs to rely on the Uk to survive unlike Neighbours
I might have to give it a go again! I have not watched it since the early 90s but did buy and read Irene's (Lynne's) autobiography as she is a character I do remember and I like an autobiography. It's the remembering all the new characters and such though doesn't come so easy to me now as when I was a child! Neighbours only really has a small cast.

I wonder if Amazon Prime would consider throwing it a lifeline?

It could even air via You Tube ...

It's an expensive show to produce, though ... without the financial support from the UK TV network, it's not going to happen. It just doesn't have the following it used to enjoy.

I wonder if "Toadie" got a heads-up that the show might be coming to an end?

Reactions: 6
I know Home and Away has always been more popular in Australia, but I was always under the impression that Five pay for production of that as well?

Reactions: 1
I know Home and Away has always been more popular in Australia, but I was always under the impression that Five pay for production of that as well?
They just pay for the rights to air it AFAIK. If they paid to produce it the quality of sets etc would be a lot lower like with neighbours 😅

• Haha
That's a very positive way to look at it. I'll concentrate on that.
It's a possibility I would imagine. Some absolute rubbish gets watched on Netflix by tens of millions around the world so I am sure if Neighbours was on there with a new daily episode Monday to Friday it would get the best audiences it's ever seen. Because of the exposure as well it would give more of a chance of seeing the biggest stars from over the years come back to it for cameos.

Reactions: 4
I am GUTTED! Can’t believe it and I can’t see any channel picking it up. Possibly ITV but highly doubtful :-(.

I’m thinking if another channel picks it up it’ll be a freeview type channel like E4 or itvBe etc. But if there’s a 5 million deficit I really don’t see how an even smaller channel will cut costs enough to keep it going, neighbours is so low budget as it is and he cast is small

Ohhhh I used to love Neighbours, watched it as a teen, all through uni, and only stopped when my job meant by the time I got home I was too knackered to watch recordings of it. Feel for the cast and crew. I went on the Neighbours tour and absolutely loved it, even met Dr Karl (who in real life, bit creepy) 😂

• Haha
I'm in a panic this morning and I know it's going to sound pathetic but I'm so upset that Neighbours is being axed! I have watched it from the start..it like another one of daily routines gone!

I stopped watching H&A a couple of years ago as I thought the storyline were too over the top..I have been watching the old ones on Prime though..

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m shocked at how sad I feel about it as well. It does feel like this is the end, and it’s not the same as when the show left BBC1 when both Five and ITV were fighting over it. ITV would have snapped their hands off back then, but I don’t think they would now and there’s nowhere in their schedule where it would fit in anyway.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.