Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ChickenLicking

VIP Member
I don’t know ANYONE who can wear bright red lipstick and not look like a drag queen.
But Mumsnet swears by it. Classic, timeless and all that jazz.
I certainly couldn't, also if it smudges it soon looks shite.

I want another designer bag thread, they're always worth a gander.

I'm too tight to pay the monthly fee for a GoHenry card.

Though they are good for teaching children how to budget if they cant yet get a debit card and you can pay their pocket money on to it.
Me too but I agree that they're a good idea.

Reactions: 1

ATV2021

VIP Member
Has anyone suggested offering trick or treaters sprouts dipped in chocolate yet? Soooooooooooooo funny. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't get all the angst around Halloween on Mumsnet. It's NOT an American import. All you need to do a have a handful of Haribo bags by the front door on the 31st October and job done.
NGL....if I didn't think my house would get egged for doing so...I'd definitely do this 😆🤣

Blurp

VIP Member
Nowt wrong with the former Polytechnics 🤣 my degree for my field is worth the exact same as the degree from other unis for the same job (specific degree I appreciate) but it means squat for many professions. Not on MN though obvs lol
I remember back in the early 1980s when a representative of the Engineering Society said that an engineering honours degree from our ancient university was worth less than a CNAA engineering degree from the world-class Central Institution (now a university) in the same city.

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I didn't get one of them til my 30th, clearly I grew up in deprivation!

Speaking as someone who doesn't have or want children myself, I'm pretty sure all the people who don't have children 'for environmental reasons' don't want them anyway, and either feel they need to justify their decision for some reason or just want an excuse to look down on other people's choices.
I don't have any kids yet either. Saw it mentioned on practically almost every single thread on the larger families board.

BlairWaldorf86

VIP Member
What is the obsession with black trainers on style and beauty today 😳 it’s like white trainers are too wild for them!

panache

Chatty Member
Some of the Solovair boots aren’t bad and at least they’re still made in the U.K. I had a Canadian friend so I have heard of Fluevog!
That's good to hear!
I've lived in Canada for over 20 years but only learned about Fluevog 3 years ago. I bought them at the end of 2019 so going into my 4th winter with them now. They're really good quality, not cheap but worth it.

It’s a while since I stayed in a Premier Inn but I wouldn’t go back to the one in Edinburgh…got a shitty below ground level room with filthy windows.

I do draw the line at easyHotels though after hearing stories.

mdizzl3

Yeah you've also missed my point in the insistence you are right.

Weve gone through the system for grammar 3 years ago and I've got friends children going through it now. If you want to be I'm the top 60, you need to be getting higher than the required pass Mark. Just passing isn't enough.
I know that “just passing” isn’t enough, it only is in areas with many grammar schools like Slough. My point was that if you are truly extremely bright like everyone on MN claims, you’d be scoring in the top 5th percentile of all the entrants without the need for 2 years tutoring. A high number of applicants doesn’t make it competitive if you’re genuinely very intelligent, just like a high number of people competing in a race (even if they’ve been coached for 2 years) wouldn’t give a high-level sprinter a run for their money. A slightly above-average child being tutored for 2 years (which seems so excessive for a 9 year old?) wouldn’t beat an extremely smart one who did past papers at home for a couple of months.

Tutoring’s not a new thing, it was around years ago, but the only people I know who did it were the slightly above-average ones that ended up in the bottoms sets of the grammar school. No-one in the top set had to be tutored for years to get in because they were all genuinely exceptionally smart.

Moniker

VIP Member
My American friend has worn Fluevog for years. She has a very particular aesthetic though. I wore DMs all the time as a teen. Couldn't imagine wearing them (or anything similar) now.

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
I haven’t been on it for years but there were some good threads like the cube of poo and pandabear’s driving one. There was the lovely lady whose son died after waking up from an operation and eating some cake 😢.

merlot

Chatty Member
Does anyone know what the crack is with daisy may Cooper & a scrap on mumsnet?

panache

Chatty Member
You can guarantee that whenever a thread about Dr Martens appears someone will post about how Solovair are much nicer and more comfy and ethical etc etc. So I googled and they are as ugly as sin. Like something a clown would wear. I’m sure there is some kind of deal in place that whenever DM’s are mentioned someone has to post promoting solovair as an alternative. DM’s are timeless for a reason. I’ve had mine for about six years and they’ve only now started to get scuffed on the toes, they’re worth every Penny and so comfy when broken in properly. But noooo in MN land Solovair are so much better (but uglier).

I don't know anything about the debate between DMs and Solovair I'd never heard of Solovair until now.

However I just went on the Solovair website and I think that they have a lot of nice looking boots not clown like at all.

Many are certainly comparable to DMs . DMs and many of the Solovairs are essentially Derby boots.

These are my Fluevog Derby boots. I'm sure no ones heard of the brand , it's a Canadian shoe designer. I love them .

BethanyGilbert

VIP Member
There was one poster who was often on there - momamatrix? Or similar name and she dressed beautifully, her house looked stunning in the background too.
However another one who used to be prolific I genuinely thought was a transitioning man when I saw her photos on Twitter after the Jack monroe debacle. She isn’t.
EllaPaella is another one who had amazing clothes and hair and house looks lovely.

OliviaL

My favourite threads on MN we’re the very long running MN Vogue on S&B. Some rather entertaining characters there 🙄

There was one poster who was often on there - momamatrix? Or similar name and she dressed beautifully, her house looked stunning in the background too.
However another one who used to be prolific I genuinely thought was a transitioning man when I saw her photos on Twitter after the Jack monroe debacle. She isn’t.
She was a bit of a West London Alpha Mum with a fantastic repertoire of weekly meals. Sounded like a pain in the neck.