Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Et0n-Mess

I may be the one completely out of sync here, but does anyone else find a complete over-egging of the effect of lockdowns on people on mumsnet? There’s a massive thread about the effects on children and so many people saying their children (who were babies in the pandemic) have speech and language issues, that they themselves are traumatised, that their children are irreparably damaged…

I accept I may well be biased as I lost a parent to Covid in lockdown 1, and wish we had gone harder faster so they wouldn’t have caught it. But all of this hand wringing over how horrendous the trauma of lockdown was and how they’ll never get over it seems ridiculous. Yes it was tough, but the way it gets talked about on mumsnet feels very overblown. I work with kids and it’s true there are learning gaps, and some year groups are noticeably less mature than they otherwise would have been, but most kids seem fairly normal. We’ve hardly got cohorts of kids sat at home rocking with parents needing therapy because they had to stay at home for a few months. It’s like competitive lockdown trauma comes out to play on those threads.

None of this is to say that there aren’t people with genuine trauma coming out of the lockdowns, and I don’t mean to minimise those experiences. I just find mumsnet’s response to discussions about it utterly over the top.

Edited to add an example of what I mean - someone’s replied to a post describing how hard it was to not be able to see family over those months with “reading that actually made my throat burn a bit”. Like what?! It made your throat burn? Are you serious? Also, what do you even mean? It burnt because you were a bit sick in your mouth? Or it burnt like it was on fire? It makes no sense and it’s so hyperbolic!

Apologies for the lengthy rant there. Really not my intention to offend anyone, so I hope it doesn’t diminish anyone’s actual struggles during that time.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

mdizzl3

Is this actually a pisstake? I did my GCSEs in 2009, apart from normal homework did no revision until pretty much the week/day before and managed to get 5A*s 4As and a C. Lots of my friends also did similar. One girl said she did 2 hours a day 2 months before and I remember thinking that was crazy, given we had homework. Revising 5 hours a weekend day in November? WTF? You haven’t even learnt all the content until April! Even in uni, which was actually hard, I revised 7 days a week 9-5pm for the month before but not before that - there’s no point.

On another topic, I think “working hard” is overrated. “Working efficiently” or “doing what you need to get to where you want but not any more” is more my style.

• Heart

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Currently a competitive not sitting down thread on the go i.e to get all your jobs done, don’t sit down from the minute you wake up til you go to bed.

Actual quotes:
‘Yeah I don’t really sit down. I remember in the first lockdown, sitting on the sofa in the middle of the day, and thinking …what is this??’

and

‘I rarely sit down!’

• Haha

pommynoir

VIP Member
I read a thread earlier of what meat people normally have with a roast; beef, pork or chicken and someone commented saying although it depends on the cut and the origin but that their top three was.

Pheasant with Cumberland sauce
Haunch of venison
Forerib of beef

Would she ever have a chicken and fuck off. If I was ever unfortunate enough to be invited over for dinner I’d ask for salt, pepper and ketchup as you just know she’d be overly offended and put up an AIBU about me.

• Haha

melonpane

They definitely all live on new build estates, whenever I pass by one on the train I give a little wave to them all, like the Queen would.

And instead of having woodcarved 'live laugh love' ornaments on their mantlepieces, they've got 'Be a judgy cunt'' instead.

• Haha

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
Some more outfits from Autumn thread. The vest top and combats is what they are wearing to a gig but will add a fleece to it...the other one seems to be someone attempting "quirky"

Things I've learned from the Mumsnet style and beauty pages...

No one dresses like a high earner
No one pays for a cleaner out of their high earner wage as their mirrors are always dirty
No one pays for interior design as their carpets are from 1980
Not many are are size 6 or 8 but morbidly obese at size 12s and 14s.
Style really is interpreted different by everyone
And people lie about how you really look!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

Serene Serena

VIP Member
yeah, I dont get the Bayliss & Harding hate either, it seems perfectly ok to me? maybe not as a gift from your absolute nearest and dearest, but say from someone slightly more removed, I'd be delighted!
I think the hate is because they are Jo Malone copies, and as we all know, only middle to upper class people should be able to smell of lime, basil and mandarin. Lower class and under class have no right to smell delicious after a shower. Coal Tar soap for us and a drop of Dettol mixed with washing up liquid to wash hair.

• Haha

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Why do people insist on the abbreviations DH, DW, DS, DD. For fuck sake, if they’re your husband, wife, son or daughter, I think it’s clear you must like them quite a bit. You don’t need to prove your love for them by putting the abbreviation for darling in front of it!
Makes me laugh when they say DDog or once even DHorse

• Haha

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Yet another thread about the effects of lockdown on the mental health of kids. Not being funny but I work with kids, and while yes there are gaps in their learning that has to be down to school closures behaviour wise I don’t think much has changed. Kids behaviour and mental health has been slowly getting worse for years! I blame too much screen time and shit parenting for that.

• Heart

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Just seen a thread where someone’s posted that their husband should have been home with the kids an hour ago and they’re not answering their phone and they’re worried he’s ‘done something’.

Cue hundreds of ‘hope he’s back and ok’ posts and a couple of ‘phone the police!’ (because it’s been a whole hour) then after three hours of radio silence from the OP, she pops back with ‘oh, he went shopping’.

• Haha
  • Wow

sixdinnersid83

Chatty Member
Like when any young innocent recommends lush for Christmas presents. Incoming the migraines, vomiting and five day headaches if any mumsnetter walks past a lush shop.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Pinkii

VIP Member
Can’t Remember what thread it was but it was about Hotels

one poster was like ‘well we only stay at hilton hotels but i’m a slight hotel snob so thats why’

LOLLL is Hilton still considered high end hotel?

or am I the snob? 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I’ve just read a thread about SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and how difficult they find the shorter days at this time of year and it’s taken less that one page before someone has come along to say how much they love it because it’s so ‘cosy’ and they can snuggle under blankets and drink hot chocolate with twinkly lights everywhere. Read the fucking room!

I do love this response though 😂

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Has anyone else seen the thread where the OP is claiming she has no money for food the rest of the month? Awful yes? Until you read it and you find that her DH earns 30k a year, she is a ‘SAHM’ and rather than starving to death they will have to ’survive on beans on toast and other things as cheap’ They will also have to give up all their treats and days out so they can afford Christmas.

So like everyone else then? And tell me, what is wrong with beans on toast?🤔 Its one of the healthiest meals you can eat cheaply ffs

• Wow