Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As an Irish person (living in Ireland) I find mumsnet absolutely fascinating. The coldness towards family is awful - but this thread and the English people I know IRL give me hope it’s just a mumsnet thing! Like…
The roasting any poster gets if they admit they’re disappointed that their child’s grandparents don’t want to be actively involved or help out. For virtually everyone I know, the kids grandparents are chomping at the bit to help out. And we all know they will get too many sweets and screen time at granny’s, but we’re just grateful for the help.

The expectation that at 18yo, you turf the child out onto the street unless they pay rent. Again it would be completely normal here for adult children to stay in the family home until their late 20s and most don’t pay rent to their parents as they are saving for house deposits. Shock horror I actually know people who have extended their houses when their kids were teens as they knew the kids would be there for another 10+ yrs and they wanted to give the kids more space.

The dislike for their MIL and other in laws, but yet all seem to have these big family Xmas gathering where there is 4 courses, 10 different dishes and “picky” bits.

but then, you get this sort of stuff:
The implication that by sending your child to state school you are effectively setting them up for a life of crime 🤣 And the unchecked privilege of saying something like - “you could afford to send your kids to private if you made sacrifices like we do”. Ffs , there’s not many “sacrifices” available to me that would magic up 10k+ a year! Maybe selling a kidney?

or the kids have to be grade 10 in piano or on some national development squad in a sport to bother with it. Again most parents I know just want their kids to get regular exercise and find interests outside of screen time.
Anyways that’s my mumsnet rant!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
TBH the pube ones are usually written by male trolls looking for wank fodder. Same with pretty much any of the "hey ladies, let's have some vag chat!" threads. The worst ones are the trolls that show up talking about their imaginary teenage daughter and her intimate issues. 🤢
After I posted the screenshots of the sex forum I realised it's full of blokes using it to wank over.
Absolutely grim.

I need to stop going on MN.

Attachments

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Oh my god 🤣🤣🤣 I so t know what’s worse… sex squirting or scrambling for ways to describe themselves as middle class.

“tarquin and poppy only wear second hand Boden or joules clothes and we would not dream of an all inclusive holiday so we are obviously middle class”

reminds me of this absolute tit I knew from one of my kids school who told me she was driving down to south of France and camping for 2 weeks and that my AI holiday to Majorca was her idea of hell whilst pulling a “snooty face”. They preferred to cook local produce than sit in a “canteen”. Apparently “package holidays” were her worst nightmare. Lol guess who’s tent blew away and came home early. Clue it wasn’t me I Was too busy drinking Malibu and coke round the pool watching my kids have a brilliant time 🤣🤣🤣 I took great delight a few months later when one of the other mums mentioned in front of her that we own an apartment round the corner (my grandad lived in the village all his life) where she was staying- daft cow I hate snobs!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Oh my god 🤣🤣🤣 I so t know what’s worse… sex squirting or scrambling for ways to describe themselves as middle class.

“tarquin and poppy only wear second hand Boden or joules clothes and we would not dream of an all inclusive holiday so we are obviously middle class”

reminds me of this absolute tit I knew from one of my kids school who told me she was driving down to south of France and camping for 2 weeks and that my AI holiday to Majorca was her idea of hell whilst pulling a “snooty face”. They preferred to cook local produce than sit in a “canteen”. Apparently “package holidays” were her worst nightmare. Lol guess who’s tent blew away and came home early. Clue it wasn’t me I Was too busy drinking Malibu and coke round the pool watching my kids have a brilliant time 🤣🤣🤣 I took great delight a few months later when one of the other mums mentioned in front of her that we own an apartment round the corner (my grandad lived in the village all his life) where she was staying- daft cow I hate snobs!
Excellent 😊
I absolutely love an all inclusive.
My husband and I go to get drunk, fat and smoke menthols. Bliss.

I'm dreading work this year as my awful colleague is back from mat leave. She is literally the incarnation/personification of MN.
I can't stand her. She's vile.
I've tried to like her but I can't. She's massive snob (no reason), she has to show off, she has to do everything to be middle class, she is an utter cow, back stabbing and boring.
The consolation is that all my friends at work dislike her too.
She's a horrible piece of work
She loves telling me how she worked for the opera 🥱 and her house is £££ (actually mine is a lot more but 😂) and she constantly tells me how much her husband earns (my husband earns way more 😂). But I keep quiet and laugh inside. She thinks I'm really common which I secretly enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I bloody love an all inclusive. I like to roll out of bed and straight onto my pool lounger, and have someone bring me a cocktail and chilled towel at hourly intervals.

I have a colleague who likes to rent scruffy apartments and shop/cook for local food 'to fully experience the ambience' and have 'an authentic holiday.'

Authentically tit, yes.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I bloody love an all inclusive. I like to roll out of bed and straight onto my pool lounger, and have someone bring me a cocktail and chilled towel at hourly intervals.

I have a colleague who likes to rent scruffy apartments and shop/cook for local food 'to fully experience the ambience' and have 'an authentic holiday.'

Authentically tit, yes.
I think it's just personal taste. I like to have my own self catering apartment as I like having my own space and the flexibility with it. A nice balcony though is mandatory. But if it's a summer holiday I'd also want to be near a nice beach and other sights and activities to do in the mornings

Reactions: 6
Oh I'm loving the middle class being better at frugality than the poor who spend all their money on iphones/flat screen tvs/goats etc!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Oh I'm loving the middle class being better at frugality than the poor who spend all their money on iphones/flat screen tvs/goats etc!
Don’t forget junk food as well! The poor are always shoving McDonald’s into their stupid fat low-rent faces when vegetables cost but pence in the supermarket - or FREE if you have an allotment for goodness sake.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Mumsnet would be reporting me to social work right now -
* My 11 year old doesn't sleep and never has done and so I often go to bed and he is still watching TV in his room (a sleep clinic once said he was "a child who just didn't require as much sleep as most," after I was at breaking point);
* My 4 year old at pizza three evenings in a row this week because he flat out refused to eat anything else, tearing a pillow and biting a chunk out of a teddy penguin in his anger at being offered anything else;
* And, the worst part is that I've eaten my weight in dairy milk each evening.

• Haha
They are obsessed with Center Parcs, but let’s just be honest it’s overpriced Butlins for posh people.

• Haha
  • Heart
Lol my husband and his brother grew up as working class as you get. They’ve both done alright but his brother got a bonus of about £130k last year on top of his crazy salary. He’s got a caravan in Morecambe and has a season ticket for some 2nd division football club in the kop where he loves a cheeseburger from the butty van. SIL loves B&M and a greggs sausage roll. Nieces go to local comp and are thriving. I’d love mumsnet to “class” them. Although I know on mumsnet the average salary is like £750k so you know….. (eye roll).

I’m sure some people hold onto class because “mummy and daddy” had good jobs and a nice house back in the 80s but they’re not doing so well now, maybe some of the “rough kids” back in school are doing better than them now but it’s ok they’ve got a 50” tv so they’re still working class.

Reactions: 7
They are obsessed with Center Parcs, but let’s just be honest it’s overpriced Butlins for posh people.
100% this

I really enjoyed the thread a few years ago with someone asking if they thought centre Parcs would catch them if they put some of their children in the boot so they could save some money.

I’ve gone completely the other way to the centre parcs obsession and it makes me never want to ever go there - money grabbing buggerheads.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Amazing, they were obsessed with Hush (?) a couple of years ago. I swear it’s just one person having a bit of a laugh and a load of people who get swept up in agreeing with a ring leader.

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Aaah I actually loved going to centre parcs 🙈. We have taken our kids on many holidays abroad and they still Maintain that centre parcs was their fave holiday to date (selfish spoilt brats 😡😂). Though I’ll admit we were lucky enough to get two free stays there (still had to pay for activities and food and spent a tit load), I wouldn’t pay those prices my self to stay but more than happy to go if someone else pays 😉. Won’t lie I did love it!

Reactions: 2
Slightly O/T but why did so many people (me included) think Centre Parcs was under a giant dome so you’d never get wet if it rained? Is it some sort of Mandela Effect?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Aibu to buy instant coffee 😂😂😂 I love my Nespresso but I don’t expect to be given one at my friends etc so I’m pretty sure Dave the builder won’t give a feck if his 10 coffees a day are dowe & Egberts instead of a Creme brulee barista collection 😂😂

Slightly O/T but why did so many people (me included) think Centre Parcs was under a giant dome so you’d never get wet if it rained? Is it some sort of Mandela Effect?
Never been either I don’t fancy paying £1500 for a 3 night stay when I could go to BiLs caravan in morecambe for free 😂 my friends been quite a few times and said the prices were crazy to eat and drink. Sure she said something like £9 for one of those small bottle of Proseccos in the pub.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
It must be really distracting worrying about what people will think about you all the time depending on your class… there’s a calculator on the BBC if you’re especially curious.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.