Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s one posted recently complaining that her and husband out for meal and she was getting annoyed at him because he was asking (politely she said) the waiters how long their food would be
Not unreasonable in my eyes

one reply has called him a ‘abusive narcissist’

🤯

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
The threads on the relationship board about women asking whether they should date a guy who is lower class and/or haven't got a degree from a red brick uni.....yet most of those posting on the relationship thread are desperate, delusional or have a useless partner (....as long as he went to university though).

Went down a rabbit hole
Dear god, these have really hurt my head. Time for bed said Zebedy.

There’s one posted recently complaining that her and husband out for meal and she was getting annoyed at him because he was asking (politely she said) the waiters how long their food would be
Not unreasonable in my eyes

one reply has called him a ‘abusive narcissist’

🤯
The thing is, you know that that’s an unreasonable thing to say to someone/about someone, and I know it’s an unreasonable thing to say to someone… my impression of half of MN is should you be stuck at the bus stop with them and they tried to strike up a conversation you’d end up moving away… getting a bus going in the opposite direction maybe just to be on the safe side.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
my impression of half of MN is should you be stuck at the bus stop with them and they tried to strike up a conversation you’d end up moving away… getting a bus going in the opposite direction maybe just to be on the safe side.
So true!! They really are insane. I can't work out if the typical user has a massive sense of entitlement from a very sheltered life, or is super gullible to yhe suggestions of other MN users about what constitutes "normal" behaviour and expectations 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone see the post about a bleeping ridiculous poster panicking about her toddler being obsessed by cuckoo clocks?
The poster was getting her knickers in a twist because her toddler loved the clocks.
This actually made me sad. To think a little kid can't be intrigued by something without their helicopter parent think their poor kid is "odd"

All of MN are obsessed with autism. They're always clueless.

Attachments

• Heart
Dear god, these have really hurt my head. Time for bed said Zebedy.

The thing is, you know that that’s an unreasonable thing to say to someone/about someone, and I know it’s an unreasonable thing to say to someone… my impression of half of MN is should you be stuck at the bus stop with them and they tried to strike up a conversation you’d end up moving away… getting a bus going in the opposite direction maybe just to be on the safe side.
I know I was reading the original post to see if I’d missed something where the OP had said that he was getting so angry at waiting he threatened or hit or been verbally abusive to waiter but no… the most OP had said that he was getting a bit ‘hangry’

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I often post on threads there about the darker side of life. Mainly to piss people off haha. I have had the pleasure of experiencing DV, absolute foodbank using poverty, CSA, lone parenting, DC who aren't very well behaved, being the child of a 15 year old Mum who concealed her pregnancy and residual MH issues. I have also worked in a children's safeguarding team in a Northern town that has just been voted one of the worst places to live so I know how tit things can feel. I post because sometimes the things I read on there are so uniformly staid, ridiculous and privileged that I kind of do it as a big FU to the people who post crap like 'Is 50k a year a good salary?' or 'Is it unreasonable to buy this million pound house because it needs a new kitchen.' I hope they read what a handful of us more realistic posters write and think 'I am being ridiculous' but I doubt it. I have been accused of shaming posters and they always trot out 'It isn't a race to the bottom you know' to which I reply I know, I am happy despite my background, not because of it, maybe think on though that people's lives have shades of grey eh? Don't get me started on the politics there either! I am so glad to have found this thread. I heard that all is not well in MNHQ finances either so they moderate so heavily due to advertiser influence. The place is tainted for me for many reasons but I think that is a big one.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Anyone see the post about a bleeping ridiculous poster panicking about her toddler being obsessed by cuckoo clocks?
The poster was getting her knickers in a twist because her toddler loved the clocks.
This actually made me sad. To think a little kid can't be intrigued by something without their helicopter parent think their poor kid is "odd"

When I was a toddler I was apparently obsessed with churches, specifically churches with clocks on them! I would get really excited when I saw one 😂 Thank God Mumsnet didn’t exist in the 80’s!

• Haha

Actually, I know an autistic boy who was obsessed with clocks as a preschooler. It’s definitely a thing 🤷‍♀️

Being obsessed with clocks doesn’t mean a child is autistic, but it could be seen as a red flag if they also have a lot of social-communication and sensory issues. It’s all about the wider context.

Reactions: 3
Actually, I know an autistic boy who was obsessed with clocks as a preschooler. It’s definitely a thing 🤷‍♀️

Being obsessed with clocks doesn’t mean a child is autistic, but it could be seen as a red flag if they also have a lot of social-communication and sensory issues. It’s all about the wider context.
I don't disagree RE autism and having fixations. My point was at 2 and a toddler the poster is getting her knickers in a twist for no apparent reason.
Autism or not I just felt it was a weird over reaction and then calling her kid odd

Reactions: 6
I don't disagree RE autism and having fixations. My point was at 2 and a toddler the poster is getting her knickers in a twist for no apparent reason.
Autism or not I just felt it was a weird over reaction and then calling her kid odd
Does she have her knickers in a twist for no reason though? It could be that she has a gut feeling that something is different about her child and she’s looking for people who have been in the same boat. I see in your screenshot she mentioned a couple of other things (fear of loud noises etc).

I hate it when parents raise valid concerns about their child, dare to say “autism” and get shouted down that they’re crazy and their child’s behaviours are normal, why are they so keen to “label” kids, let kids be kids, autism is so overdiagnosed… I could go on.

It’s ableism.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My son was obsessed with cuckoo clocks as a toddler. I bought him one off eBay and had to put the minute hand up all the time so it’d cuckoo. Drove the whole family…cuckoo! He’d watch them on YouTube too. He turns 12 tomorrow and the cuckoo clock addiction is well in the past and forgotten (until I just saw this thread!).

My other son was obsessed with the packets that pants come in. You know like the five pack of pants/briefs etc they sell in Kmart,target,asda,tesco etc. he used to take the pants out and put his little metal diecast cars in. Now he’s obsessed with tool boxes and organising his tools (carpenter)! Kids and their kinks 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They love affairs and the possibility of affairs/scandal. Why not just watch Corrie or EastEnders?
Soaps are for the working class darling.

loved Lily Allen and Dame Edna but some of the more crude drag queens with their talk of fishy fannys and stuff like that makes me cringe.
Do you mean Lily Savage? I chuckled at the thought of Lily Allen being a drag queen. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
What gets me is the bizarre way they all get their granny pants in a twist over the smallest things?? I’ve seen two threads today, one where OP mentioned the phrase Karen and they all got mad saying it was misogynistic, and then one where OPs friend is copying her and she’s acknowledged it’s a first world problem but they’re all going off on her saying ‘if you didn’t copyright your idea it’s everyone’s right to use it’ bleeping hell I’d be mad too if I did my house up and my friend copied me down to the carpets!!! ‘There are more important things going on in the world’ duck off KAREN

Here you go!

Summary: "I told a married male friend I love him and he turned me down because he loves and is faithful to his wife. Monogamy is evil like capitalism"

WTAF 😲😲😲

View attachment 961768
Lol this was peak mumsnet

also…I had the impression she would have been up for a threesome with his wife 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I wonder does the cuckoo clock poster live in Switzerland? Because I can’t remember the last time I saw one in the U.K.?

Reactions: 2
AIBU highlights:

"Middle class / upper middle class most frugal with money (in a good way!)" - OP claims that all the middle class people she knows are better at saving money. Thankfully a lot of the comments are sane!

Very sad thread from someone who is estranged from their sister and wants to know what to do / say now that their nephew, the sister's son has died. This is pretty tragic but as is often the case, I have to say: you probably need advice from someone other than Mumsnet here, they won't help.

Someone "disgusted" and "horrified" by her daughter receiving a large number of sweets for Christmas. Again, thankfully sane commenters who suggested she allow the sweets occasionally over several weeks/a few months

"AIBU to ask what the hell to do about my leaking arse!" You need a doctor, not Mumsnet. This one's actually quite serious; OP has just had major bowel surgery. Why do people in desperate situations think a bunch of strangers on Mumsnet will help?

"im about ready to throttle my husband over a flipping cough" You, too, need a doctor (either for him or yourself) not Mumsnet. OP claims "i dont do sympathy." Oh, we know ...

"AIBU to want to rage against the universe?" OP says they are terminally ill, can't have children because of their medical condition, and has to leave behind their husband who's already cheating on them. That's enough to make anyone "want to rage against the universe", Mumsnet is just the wafer thin mint!

• Haha
  • Wow
Right, which one of you was it injecting a little bit of sense into this stupid thread?!? 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220106-142309_Chrome.jpg

The thread in question was a woman saying she's unhappy her husband works from home and she's bored & doesn't like having him round. And someone pulled out the entire "Mumsnet Bingo" card in one go!

Actually, it'd make a good drinking game. But obviously refer ourselves straight to AA as per mumsnet doctrine 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Yeah I think people don’t always know what someone is looking for as a response (or care). Some people want reassurance, some people want a bit of backing up that they’re not imagining things.

Some people don’t like a diagnosis, seeing it as a limitation to having a standard way of life rather than actually an opportunity to understand what’s going on better and get some support….
I wonder does the cuckoo clock poster live in Switzerland? Because I can’t remember the last time I saw one in the U.K.?
Oooh I think if they did they would describe the clock as a “very niche article very common to our country (we don’t live in the UK) which would be outing if named” 😁

• Haha
The obsession with class continues.
It's not normal to distinguish your mates by class is it?
Like I never ever meet someone, a friend, a colleague, family etc and automatically classify them in a certain class.
The thread is about being better with money but the majority of the post is about class ....and then MN had 14 pages regarding class.

"I know such and such who is upper middle class"
"My friends are lower middle class"
And some MN talk about "nouveau riche" which according to them is the scum of the earth
🥴 I don't even know where these rules comes from.

This is a joke right?!

I've gone done the sex posts 🤢🤢🤢🤢

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
How very working class of you. I’m sure every UK upper middle class household has one! 🤣

• Haha
The obsession with class continues.
It's not normal to distinguish your mates by class is it?
Like I never ever meet someone, a friend, a colleague, family etc and automatically classify them in a certain class.
The thread is about being better with money but the majority of the post is about class ....and then MN had 14 pages regarding class.

"I know such and such who is upper middle class"
"My friends are lower middle class"
And some MN talk about "nouveau riche" which according to them is the scum of the earth
🥴 I don't even know where these rules comes from.

This is a joke right?!

I've gone done the sex posts 🤢🤢🤢🤢
TBH the pube ones are usually written by male trolls looking for wank fodder. Same with pretty much any of the "hey ladies, let's have some vag chat!" threads. The worst ones are the trolls that show up talking about their imaginary teenage daughter and her intimate issues. 🤢

• Sick
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.