Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got a Hotel Chocolate hamper thingy for Christmas. It's still unopened. However, the huge slab of Dairy Milk I received failed to make it past Boxing Day.
I love hotel chocolat, it's my treat to myself every now & again, so I'm posh a few times a year at least šŸ˜

Reactions: 5
I absolutely hate MN but I always end up going down a rabbit hole.
I absolutely hate the responses OP gets. Is footnote actually claiming they watched Harry potter the day before AND thought a 4.5 year old would be terrified..... not a 4 year old, not a 5 year old but spookily a 4.5 year old šŸ™„
The MN always seem to be having to prove something.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I am pondering - how long has Mumsnet been around? Will we/have we reached a point where the children of the first gen of users are using it? What year do you all think was ā€˜peakā€™ mumsnet? I sort of think of it as being in decline these days?
Honestly whenever I Google anything to do with baby sleep regression or food etc it always surfaces posts so old their babies would be 14/16/18 now and I always think aww I bet theyā€™re sleeping through now!

At best youā€™ll get a 2/3 year old post come up (I googled Mumsnet + our local prep school and that was recent) but it feels like nothing to do with actual babies is being discussed on there anymore?

Reactions: 10
Did anyone see the stupid post about getting her 5 and 8 year old to pack an over night bag šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 3
What. The duck. šŸ˜³

there has to be some context missingā€¦.who the duck says that??? Or itā€™s a troll. Her mum just changed the subject??? Something ainā€™t adding up here..
bleeping hell!!!!!
For all of MN showing off and big balls talk they seems to be a very high proportion of them who choose and put up with vile men!!!!
Seems like lots of MN either don't have standards with men or don't understand what is acceptable behaviour

bleeping hell!!!!!
For all of MN showing off and big balls talk they seems to be a very high proportion of them who choose and put up with vile men!!!!
Seems like lots of MN either don't have standards with men or don't understand what is acceptable behaviour
At first glance I thought it was her mum that said it and I was like ā€˜hmmm maybe dementia or somethingā€™

bleeping hell!!!!!
I think most of it is made up rubbish tbh. They know what will get the biggest reaction on there. I canā€™t believe that anyone has to question if this was ok or not and especially choose to post on a website to ask.

• Heart
Very true
I read really hope it's made up
I think MN is way too boring to have exciting anecdotes like this

Reactions: 3
Honestly whenever I Google anything to do with baby sleep regression or food etc it always surfaces posts so old their babies would be 14/16/18 now and I always think aww I bet theyā€™re sleeping through now!

At best youā€™ll get a 2/3 year old post come up (I googled Mumsnet + our local prep school and that was recent) but it feels like nothing to do with actual babies is being discussed on there anymore?
My eldest is 10, and I used to obsessively stalk the internet for help when they were a baby. I posted a couple of times on mumsnet, but even then the chat was about mainly about random things and the MN royalty was rife. I used to use another site for sleep help etc, and sometimes I would look on Netmums as they used to have health visitors post on there which was useful. Not sure if Netmums is still active anymore though or what the boards are like.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Love a crunchie ā¤

MN are not even taking the piss with the chocolate thread.
Absolutely wanker of a poster making sure everyone knows she's 'upper class'

I don't even know what Leonidas is ....I must be scum

Come on.....is this poster taking the absolute piss?
[puts on my best Grandma circa. 1978 voice]

I'm more concerned that they're so poorly read that they think Leonidas is a brand of chocolate.

King of Sparta.

1641221702094.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I used to love the pushchair huns who fell out on there, buying and selling each otherā€™s pushchairs and then massive arguments about it. Not sure if that section exists anymore but it was top entertainment.

• Haha
  • Heart
My eldest is 10, and I used to obsessively stalk the internet for help when they were a baby. I posted a couple of times on mumsnet, but even then the chat was about mainly about random things and the MN royalty was rife. I used to use another site for sleep help etc, and sometimes I would look on Netmums as they used to have health visitors post on there which was useful. Not sure if Netmums is still active anymore though or what the boards are like.
Do you remember Netmums used to have a board for legal advice (canā€™t remember whether it was called ā€œlegal adviceā€ or something else entirely) and it was full of threads from mums needing advice because they were close to having their children removed by social services, usually because they refused to cut ties with abusive men? It was scary šŸ˜³

That really used to highlight the class differences between MN and NM.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Do you remember Netmums used to have a board for legal advice (canā€™t remember whether it was called ā€œlegal adviceā€ or something else entirely) and it was full of threads from mums needing advice because they were close to having their children removed by social services, usually because they refused to cut ties with abusive men? It was scary šŸ˜³

That really used to highlight the class differences between MN and NM.
God no, I donā€™t remember that section - sounds awful! I only dipped in and out of there for health visitor advice on sleep, food etc and to read other baby routines and see what they were up to. I know it was frowned upon on MN all the time and it was a bit of a ā€œhunā€ fest, but it was helpful in its own way for me. I never got that from MN and certainly now it is so huge and full of trolls, I wouldnā€™t dare ask or look for baby advice on there!

I used to love the pushchair huns who fell out on there, buying and selling each otherā€™s pushchairs and then massive arguments about it. Not sure if that section exists anymore but it was top entertainment.
For them it was all about the thrill of the chase: researching new prams and getting excited that THIS one would be the one! It would fit all of their complicated criteria!

Of course the new pram never did and they would soon be on the hunt for something else. Basically they were compulsive shoppers looking for their next hit, but apparently it was OK as long as they sold a pram every time they got a new one.

• Haha
For them it was all about the thrill of the chase: researching new prams and getting excited that THIS one would be the one! It would fit all of their complicated criteria!

Of course the new pram never did and they would soon be on the hunt for something else. Basically they were compulsive shoppers looking for their next hit, but apparently it was OK as long as they sold a pram every time they got a new one.
I did sell one of mine to them and in RL she was quite sweet. I met a sleb.

I also bought a mountain buggy special edition after reading there. I am so sorry.

• Haha
Imagine for one second a man wrote that kind of thing about his wife. ā€™My wife has let herself go, out on weight, her clothes donā€™t fit her anymore, her belly hangs over her trousers, sex with her repulses meā€˜ etc. Heā€™d be absolutely lynched, likewise if a woman said that her husband had said that kind of stuff on there sheā€™d be told to LTB. Has she stopped to think why heā€™s let himself go like that?

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow
talking of buying and selling, I have noticed on MN when I have popped over for a laugh/nose that there are some MN pinned posts that if you click on them, take you straight to Amazon! They are just in chat and very subtle, no hint that itā€™s a selling/promotional link. Shady.
Edited to add an example. Takes you straight to Amazon!

Attachments

• Angry
talking of buying and selling, I have noticed on MN when I have popped over for a laugh/nose that there are some MN pinned posts that if you click on them, take you straight to Amazon! They are just in chat and very subtle, no hint that itā€™s a selling/promotional link. Shady.
Edited to add an example. Takes you straight to Amazon!
surely this can be reported to ASA?

Imagine for one second a man wrote that kind of thing about his wife. ā€™My wife has let herself go, out on weight, her clothes donā€™t fit her anymore, her belly hangs over her trousers, sex with her repulses meā€˜ etc. Heā€™d be absolutely lynched, likewise if a woman said that her husband had said that kind of stuff on there sheā€™d be told to LTB. Has she stopped to think why heā€™s let himself go like that?
The double standards are unreal. I saw that post, and the "if my friend divorces her lower earning SAHD can he go after her pension as part of the settlement?" and they were all trying to tell her how to stop him, yet when it's a mumsnet user going after a husband's money it's "take him for every penny" šŸ™„

I'm convinced that lots of the threads are fakes, started by the staff to rile up Hyacinth Bucket a certain type of poster and boost traffic for reports to advertisers šŸ¤”

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.