Mumsnet #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love when people use a phrase that other posters might not use but know perfectly well what it means but they pretend they don't and make themselves look thick.

Eg AIBU to let 9 year old drink coke at a sleepover - but rather than coke they say pop/fizzy juice and get loads of posts asking what pop is.

The same happens with things like roll/barm/bun/cob.
They can't have all the other Hyacinth Bouquet wannabes on there thinking they are (gasp!) Northern or (clutches pearls!) Northern and working class with such words 😂😂 It's a slippery slope. Next thing they know, they'll have a (the horror!) husband called Dave who is a tradesman!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The drinking thing is incredible. Nobody drinks. Well, maybe a shared bottle of wine with “DH”
once a month, but no more than that. Can this really be true? All these middle class mums? I just don’t believe it, but why would you lie on an anonymous forum?

I have a large glass of red wine every night, which firmly places me in the “problem drinker” category according to MN. Oh well.

Reactions: 9
God have just been targeted by an ad for a children’s clothes labeller and the comments section reads like Mumsnet with boarding school mums writing essays about how arduous labelling their kids’ clothes is, then evidently financially insecure day school mum pipes up with similar woe is me essay, must be mumsnetters in the wild!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The drinking thing is incredible. Nobody drinks. Well, maybe a shared bottle of wine with “DH”
once a month, but no more than that. Can this really be true? All these middle class mums? I just don’t believe it, but why would you lie on an anonymous forum?

I have a large glass of red wine every night, which firmly places me in the “problem drinker” category according to MN. Oh well.
I don’t know. I don’t ever drink: I just don’t like the taste of alcohol!! But whenever I’m out I’m always in the minority - or even the only person not drinking. So much so that everyone asks if I’m pregnant, on antibiotics or have an alcohol problem! Nooooo, I just don’t like it! My vice is chocolate. I eat a family bar a night - ask my dentist!

Reactions: 7
I don’t know. I don’t ever drink: I just don’t like the taste of alcohol!! But whenever I’m out I’m always in the minority - or even the only person not drinking. So much so that everyone asks if I’m pregnant, on antibiotics or have an alcohol problem! Nooooo, I just don’t like it! My vice is chocolate. I eat a family bar a night - ask my dentist!
I don't do chocolate or alcohol. Or biscuits. Even I think that MNs are insane whenever these things are mentioned.

Reactions: 1
I love how they're kids always eat "healthy" like quinoa and Pan fried seabass with a tamarind glaze followed by a small square of 70% organic chocolate for a treat 😅😅😅😅 only eat chicken dippers on a leap year dahhhhling

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I love how they're kids always eat "healthy" like quinoa and Pan fried seabass with a tamarind glaze followed by a small square of 70% organic chocolate for a treat 😅😅😅😅 only eat chicken dippers on a leap year dahhhhling
The same ones who yell, horrified, that McDonalds isn’t food!!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I had plenty of those quinoa kids around for play dates. They demolished our pantry. They’re usually the ones at birthday parties gorging on as much junk as possible as they’re so deprived then end up sugar crashing!
I was one of them. Was never allowed chocolate or sweets as a child so now I have no self control 😂 I did the Boston marathon and ate 3 packs of haribo and 12 (yes 12!) Mars bars over 42km while passing everyone munching on their bananas and energy gels 😋 🍫

• Haha
Reactions: 10
They can't have all the other Hyacinth Bouquet wannabes on there thinking they are (gasp!) Northern or (clutches pearls!) Northern and working class with such words 😂😂 It's a slippery slope. Next thing they know, they'll have a (the horror!) husband called Dave who is a tradesman!
Sometimes I fantasise about my DDs marrying a really good hair stylist, or plumber or electrician. Can you just imagine how useful that would be? Unfortunately DD's long term boyfriend is in his final year, studying Economics at a vair posh uni which is neither of use nor ornament, frankly.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I had plenty of those quinoa kids around for play dates. They demolished our pantry. They’re usually the ones at birthday parties gorging on as much junk as possible as they’re so deprived then end up sugar crashing!
I was one of them. Was never allowed chocolate or sweets as a child so now I have no self control 😂 I did the Boston marathon and ate 3 packs of haribo and 12 (yes 12!) Mars bars over 42km while passing everyone munching on their bananas and energy gels 😋 🍫
I had a couple of these kids in my scout group and I remember one Christmas family night they kept coming over to the tea and coffee stall and helping themselves to handfuls of biscuits. They must have eaten about two dozen between them in the space of about 10 minutes. They just kept coming back for more, despite being told to leave some for other people. Their parents were both scout leaders so I think they thought they could get away with it and they wouldn't stop them or make a scene!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Sometimes I fantasise about my DDs marrying a really good hair stylist, or plumber or electrician. Can you just imagine how useful that would be? Unfortunately DD's long term boyfriend is in his final year, studying Economics at a vair posh uni which is neither of use nor ornament, frankly.
We have a plumber in the family, unfortunately jobs for the family are always bottom of his list. But at least you get stuff done at cost price. My hairdresser family member is brilliant though, I've never paid to have my hair done

I had a look over there today and someone dared to post “pregnant people” and omg the way they were all kicking off in the thread was insane.

The OP was baffled, said she hadn’t meant it like that and they still came snarling after them.

I do drink but not very much, mostly because I'm always driving 🙄 but tbh not drinking is cheaper. People still try to pressure me into drinking, they can't understand how I can be in a pub for hours and not drink.

I had a look over there today and someone dared to post “pregnant people” and omg the way they were all kicking off in the thread was insane.

The OP was baffled, said she hadn’t meant it like that and they still came snarling after them.
Only women get pregnant. You might think it's 'insane' to be annoyed at women getting erased out of language but you clearly have no idea how bad it is

• Heart
Reactions: 26
The one where the boyfriend wants a "man cave" in one of their spare 2 bedrooms and she wants to know if she's unreasonable to say no because she wants a baby in 5 years and that will be the babies room is quite amusing 🤣

• Haha
On a thread about 400/500 quid jumpers, someone said they would spend more than 30 quid on a jumper and someone said...

I don't know where I'd go to get a jumper under £30.

😆

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Can someone explain to me why people seem to post a thread at the most unconventional times!?

Eg- husband having a heart attack- need a hand hold waiting for ambulance

If that was a normal Person surely their focus would be on their husband or whatever the situation is.

I can’t imagine going through something scary and my first thought being i need to post on an anonymous forum

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Can someone explain to me why people seem to post a thread at the most unconventional times!?

If that was a normal Person surely their focus would be on their husband or whatever the situation is.

I can’t imagine going through something scary and my first thought being i need to post on an anonymous forum
It is very strange! And it happens a lot!

I have started to notice more and more ‘typos’ for effect. I understand most are probably genuine, but some are obviously fake, and just to start a thread of hundreds of ‘hilarious OP!’ and ‘this needs to be in classics!’

Reactions: 10

That's one which has always mystified me too!

It is very strange! And it happens a lot!

I have started to notice more and more ‘typos’ for effect. I understand most are probably genuine, but some are obviously fake, and just to start a thread of hundreds of ‘hilarious OP!’ and ‘this needs to be in classics!’
The one about the secret santa and the boss being late for the "fisting" springs to mind. Someone found that so funny they managed to unlatch their breastfeeding child as they were reading it while breastfeeding 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.