Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow my mum says literally the exact same. She knows the weekends are our family time as thatā€™s when my partner has his days off, sheā€™ll even say I donā€™t expect you to text me or whatever because she knows itā€™s our time together. Then Iā€™ve got my mil messaging me every day ā€˜hi xxā€™ šŸ™„ I donā€™t always have the time to message her back and then she bombards me with messages, messages my partner asking if Iā€™m okay because she hasnā€™t heard from me. Yesterday she asked what we were up to, I said just heading out to the shops with my mum and all I get back is ā€˜nice xā€™ followed by ā€˜cya Sunday xxā€™ she makes me feel like I have to feel to guilty about seeing my own family?!
I think its a control/ attention thing. If I didnt reply in good time to my mother she used to go to town in telling me how selfish I was. I even had to reply at work every single day. But then my MIL isn't the slightest bit interested im me so that's the other end of the extreme šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
So some advice is needed!
I'm doing some thank you cards for people for all the gifts for my newborn baby boy. Anyway im going have to do one for the MIL (who suddenly became interested once he was here) she's decided she wants to be called mam mam, or whatever its called. Which basically means mum on French. But I refuse to call her that! So how do I address her in the card? Grandma?just her name? Or do I give in and call her Mam mam? I really don't want to call her that as she was vile throughout my pregnancy and wasn't at all interested,now she's changed her mind and wants to be centre of attention with him. So how shall I address her in the card?

I'm doing some thank you cards for people for all the gifts for my newborn baby boy. Anyway im going have to do one for the MIL (who suddenly became interested once he was here) she's decided she wants to be called mam mam, or whatever its called. Which basically means mum on French. But I refuse to call her that! So how do I address her in the card? Grandma?just her name? Or do I give in and call her Mam mam? I really don't want to call her that as she was vile throughout my pregnancy and wasn't at all interested,now she's changed her mind and wants to be centre of attention with him. So how shall I address her in the card?
Iā€™d address her by name then refer to her in the thank you part as being a grandma/nan/whatever you want to call her šŸ¤«

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I feel like ā€˜nannyā€™ is a nice generic grandparent name?! She couldnā€™t be upset at that. She might be upset and ā€˜grandmotherā€™ Iā€™m sure it makes people feel old šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

• Heart
Reactions: 1
This isnā€™t a huge thing but Iā€™m annoyed šŸ˜‚
My EX MIL has starting sending my kids birthday cards to my ex husbands house and told her family to do the same. They live with me! Iā€™m their main carer FGS. Silly cow canā€™t cope with the fact I dumped her (abusive) son šŸ™„

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Ugh, please donā€™t give in to her. We need to stand up for ourselves when it comes to these witches or theyā€™ll walk all over us haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
DO NOT write mam mam thatā€™s overstepping her place. Iā€™d go with grandma. Thatā€™s her role at the end of the day.

also if she questions it you should just say it sounds too similar to mum, which will be confusing for the baby as they grow up.You thought grandma would be more appropriate as thatā€™s what she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I wouldn't even bother with a card since she's being so awkward, but if you really feel you have to, then get your husband/partner to write it and put "Mum" or whatever he usually calls her on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think unless you are French, requesting to be called Maman randomly is a) weird because they're not the child's Mum.. literally what it means and b) so pretentious

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My MIL sends me flowers with passive aggressive messages on them, to let me know I'm the awful person who stole her precious darling son. I bin the note but keep the flowers and share them on my Instagram without addressing that they were from her. She doesn't know how to comment, so I know it pisses her off. I get a bouquet every so often šŸ˜‚ can't waste fancy letterbox flowers now can I šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Thanks for everyone's advice and viewpoints on what to write.
These MILS are the worst!!!
I agree we need to put our foot down and stand up to them else they walk all over us. I agree @DCICassieStuart she doesn't deserve a card! I'm only doing it for my partner. That Mam mam request is totally bizzare and you are right @slabber its very pretentious.
I won't make her feel old but I will just simply put grandma on it- but I bet she will have something to say! The interfering old bag.

My MIL sends me flowers with passive aggressive messages on them, to let me know I'm the awful person who stole her precious darling son. I bin the note but keep the flowers and share them on my Instagram without addressing that they were from her. She doesn't know how to comment, so I know it pisses her off. I get a bouquet every so often šŸ˜‚ can't waste fancy letterbox flowers now can I šŸ¤£
Love this hun!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Mam mam is literally what a baby says when they are learning to say 'mummy'. Could this be why she's wanting to be called it? So she can say your baby said her name first?

Reactions: 8
Oh man. I would be very tempted to write ā€œgrand-mĆØreā€ (French for grandmother) but accidentally spell it ā€œgrand mareā€ šŸ“ and when she brings it up, just say pardonez my French.

Sorry she is a bit of a nightmare. Iā€™d do what @DCICassieStuart said.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
this is going to sound so weird but I read somewhere recently that mothers are so obsessed with heir sons because they try and bring them up to be their version of a perfect man and a man that they would want for themselves.
I think itā€™s soo true because most milā€™s always have jealous traits and they get soo upstream when the gf gets treated how they never have

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Mine has never sent me flowers! I've been with my husband 11 years during that time I've lost 3 grandparents, 2 babies (nearly dying myself once) got engaged, married, had 2 live babies and not once has she thought to do something as kind as send me some flowers. Sorry I know I sound like a witch for complaining but I've also made sure that when she lost her dad and father in law that we sent flowers.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I'd write 'to head' if I were you šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Ugh, please donā€™t give in to her. We need to stand up for ourselves when it comes to these witches or theyā€™ll walk all over us haha.
It's "Maman" - Mummy in French
Why is she pretending to be French then or does she think its a bit more upmarket than "Granny"? My Grands call me Nana BTW :)

Reactions: 3
This isnā€™t a huge thing but Iā€™m annoyed šŸ˜‚
My EX MIL has starting sending my kids birthday cards to my ex husbands house and told her family to do the same. They live with me! Iā€™m their main carer FGS. Silly cow canā€™t cope with the fact I dumped her (abusive) son šŸ™„
Ha this happens to us too. Not once has any of my exā€™s family come to our home to see the children. In fact when my ex comes to collect them he sits in the car tooting the horn until they go out šŸ˜³

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Sheā€™s copied my clothes AGAIN.
Go out and buy The Most Horrendous outfit with a crotch-chuffing miniskirt, plunging neckline and preferably in Goth Style then let her copy that! Make sure you take loads of photos too LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.