Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went out with my mum yesterday, only to the garden centre but my mum took a photo of my daughter & posted it to fb (she has my MIL as a friend, duck knows why). Jealous witch mother in law has just turned up, uninvited and unannounced. Just as I am getting everyone and everything ready to leave for a myside family party. I haven't even gone and said hello, I'm carrying on with the million things I have to do šŸ„“

She turned up unannounced and uninvited last weekend and stayed for 5 hours, thankfully I was out. She never visits this often so it's clear she's jealous

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
I went out with my mum yesterday, only to the garden centre but my mum took a photo of my daughter & posted it to fb (she has my MIL as a friend, duck knows why). Jealous witch mother in law has just turned up, uninvited and unannounced. Just as I am getting everyone and everything ready to leave for a myside family party. I haven't even gone and said hello, I'm carrying on with the million things I have to do šŸ„“

She turned up unannounced and uninvited last weekend and stayed for 5 hours, thankfully I was out. She never visits this often so it's clear she's jealous
This sounds like my MIL to a t! Even when I post pictures at my mums I get bombarded with messages, luckily no unexpected visits though as she doesnā€™t drive and they live in the next city so nowhere near us šŸ„²

My mil doesnā€™t really bother. Rather speak to her mates than see her grand kids. Doesnā€™t live local but can come down with oh sister but she cba. I refuse to speak to her after she forgot to call our daughter on her birthday

Reactions: 1
Super long sorry but Itā€™s a weird one with my mil, we used to get on really well and were pretty close when me and my boyfriend were younger and would stay at eachothers houses for the weekend. We lived an hour away from eachother and it was a faff sometimes as neither of us drove so relied on parents..but then some years passed and when I found out I was pregnant and already 5 months gone, my family welcomed him into our home and he moved in with us a couple months before I was due and maybe this is what triggered her to be the god awful person she is now as she was really close to her son as he didnā€™t have much of a bond with his dad due to him cheating previously but they stayed together.
As soon as weā€™d told our families my mil just switched and she was so controlling and wanting to be involved in everything and Iā€™d made plans to go look at some prams with my mum but then my mil made plans for my now sister in law to go with me to look at some when I just wanted to do everything my way and with my family but she never liked that. She was a mardy witch when I was at the hospital as I gave birth quite late into the evening and they didnā€™t allow visitors but I was only allowed one in the end so I obviously chose my mum and my mil obviously wasnā€™t very happy as theyā€™d drove all the way to the hospital to be turned away basically and my mum told me when she went back downstairs to my dad and my partners family and showed them pictures she had taken on her phone of our baby she didnā€™t say anything and was just in a mood even though they could visit the next day which they did! I was bed ridden after having a third degree tear and had a catheter attached and my partner was out like a light during most their visit which was just awful and my mil basically changed our baby out of her sleepsuit even though she was fast asleep and swapped it for one she liked and then carried her to the window on the ward and was walking around with her. I will never ever forget that, she barely asked me anything about the birth and how I was feeling, all she wanted was my baby in her arms and it only got worse after that, I could write a book, a trilogy of books on everything sheā€™s done that has been manipulative, controlling and jealous behaviour. We moved into our own place when our baby was 6 months old and then after they visited us at home after our second baby a couple years later, she did even more things to piss me off in my already hormonal teary state I sent her the longest message telling her everything id had bottled up from the past two years that I darenā€™t ever say to her face and I did regret it for a while but then she did tone ā€˜someā€™ stuff down after that. Sheā€™s still annoying and controlling but Iā€™m grateful lockdown happened so she wouldnā€™t worm her way in with our second baby like she did with our first, she was super OTT when they were allowed to visit though but she doesnā€™t have the bond with my second like she does with our first and that might make me sound so horrible when some families would love their mils to be more involved but it was absolute hell with my first baby when it should be the most wonderful time in your life as a family. Now Iā€™m pregnant with my third I do get nervous thinking what sheā€™s going to be like again as itā€™s always when theyā€™re teeny babies but luckily they only visit on a weekend now.
Itā€™s so sad because we got on so well but the second she was a grandparent something just switched

• Wow
Reactions: 7
My ex mother in law thank god was ridiculous šŸ™„
She had 5 kids 3 boys, 2 girls and a few grandkids
When me and my ex moved in together she expected us to have his brother or sister to live with us rent free which was a firm no coz the sister is know for causing alot of trouble all the time and the brother is a bit of a pervert
My ex wasn't aloud at his nieces or nephews birthday parties because he didn't get on well with his sister at the time but I was which annoyed me coz it was his family and his niece adored him
She was always calling the shots
Ringing me constantly to ask if he can go do her garden he worked at the time we live at the opposite area too
When the Dv incident happened which was the final straw she didn't believe me and tried blaming it all on me (bare in mind she apparently a dv survivor herself) and kept banging on about her sons xbox (he was in police custody) at this point and the hiuse key while I was been taken miles away from my home.
She's also faked fits and a ticks she only have them occasionally and then they suddenly stopped like nothing happened apparently she went to the doctor but never seemed to get any results
Always complained of noise but she was okay having loud sex at 3am so everyone could hear it
She babied her youngest son (he's creepy) and made sure he never lifted a finger
She would always give money to her daughter (the one who's always in trouble) but none to us if we were skint and asked
Complained when were in the kitchen making food
We all put money together to buy her an xbox one for Christmas since she had a 360 didn't get a thank you
She used to give my ex Ā£5 for his birthday and Ā£20 for Christmas and that was it
I'm glad she not in law no more

• Sad
Oh I have an update!
So I ended up having to go into hospital with severe pains which were similar to labour pains! Thankfully all is okay but is far too early for baby to come so we was all very panicked. But As soon as she heard I had to go in, she packed her stuff and left days early Leaving my partner to struggle finding childcare for the kids so he could attend hospital with me and our unborn. I had to go in on my own, thankfully a friend gave me a lift. He arrived 2 hours later due to struggling to find childcare.
He still doesnā€™t see how wrong she is.
But yeah sheā€™s dead to me now.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Where has this thread been all my life šŸ˜‚

I'm scared my story will get put in the daily mail, and she loves that so I'll keep it off here šŸ¤£

Super long sorry but Itā€™s a weird one with my mil, we used to get on really well and were pretty close when me and my boyfriend were younger and would stay at eachothers houses for the weekend. We lived an hour away from eachother and it was a faff sometimes as neither of us drove so relied on parents..but then some years passed and when I found out I was pregnant and already 5 months gone, my family welcomed him into our home and he moved in with us a couple months before I was due and maybe this is what triggered her to be the god awful person she is now as she was really close to her son as he didnā€™t have much of a bond with his dad due to him cheating previously but they stayed together.
As soon as weā€™d told our families my mil just switched and she was so controlling and wanting to be involved in everything and Iā€™d made plans to go look at some prams with my mum but then my mil made plans for my now sister in law to go with me to look at some when I just wanted to do everything my way and with my family but she never liked that. She was a mardy witch when I was at the hospital as I gave birth quite late into the evening and they didnā€™t allow visitors but I was only allowed one in the end so I obviously chose my mum and my mil obviously wasnā€™t very happy as theyā€™d drove all the way to the hospital to be turned away basically and my mum told me when she went back downstairs to my dad and my partners family and showed them pictures she had taken on her phone of our baby she didnā€™t say anything and was just in a mood even though they could visit the next day which they did! I was bed ridden after having a third degree tear and had a catheter attached and my partner was out like a light during most their visit which was just awful and my mil basically changed our baby out of her sleepsuit even though she was fast asleep and swapped it for one she liked and then carried her to the window on the ward and was walking around with her. I will never ever forget that, she barely asked me anything about the birth and how I was feeling, all she wanted was my baby in her arms and it only got worse after that, I could write a book, a trilogy of books on everything sheā€™s done that has been manipulative, controlling and jealous behaviour. We moved into our own place when our baby was 6 months old and then after they visited us at home after our second baby a couple years later, she did even more things to piss me off in my already hormonal teary state I sent her the longest message telling her everything id had bottled up from the past two years that I darenā€™t ever say to her face and I did regret it for a while but then she did tone ā€˜someā€™ stuff down after that. Sheā€™s still annoying and controlling but Iā€™m grateful lockdown happened so she wouldnā€™t worm her way in with our second baby like she did with our first, she was super OTT when they were allowed to visit though but she doesnā€™t have the bond with my second like she does with our first and that might make me sound so horrible when some families would love their mils to be more involved but it was absolute hell with my first baby when it should be the most wonderful time in your life as a family. Now Iā€™m pregnant with my third I do get nervous thinking what sheā€™s going to be like again as itā€™s always when theyā€™re teeny babies but luckily they only visit on a weekend now.
Itā€™s so sad because we got on so well but the second she was a grandparent something just switched
Oh I feel for you with you MIL switching, mine did the same. She was vile, still is. She's always doing things to provoke me like being overly kissy with my children, she looks at me when she does it. She's such a mardy witch too, I don't bother with them now, and my OH does the bare minimum when it comes to visiting, hoping they get the message soon!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Was my eldest sonā€™s birthday today and MiL didnā€™t bother to text or wish him a happy birthday. She went over board with presents and cards that arrived a couple of days ago so I guess she thinks her bit is done. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s better or worse than her ex husband (my FIL). He rang my husband earlier to announce heā€™d like to ā€œbook in a slot to speak to the birthday boy on his birthday this Wednesdayā€. My husband asked, ā€œwhyā€¦ his birthday is today?ā€. Hubby then put my son on the phone. My FIL was all flustered, barely spoke to him for 30seconds and then said he wouldnā€™t need to call on Wednesday then. You honestly couldnā€™t make it up.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Omg mine made me so angry today. Slagging me off for being over protective. My son is disabled and has a life threatening condition so I rarely leave him with anyone. Surely thatā€™s understandable? I wouldnā€™t trust her with a goldfish.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Omg mine made me so angry today. Slagging me off for being over protective. My son is disabled and has a life threatening condition so I rarely leave him with anyone. Surely thatā€™s understandable? I wouldnā€™t trust her with a goldfish.
Completely understandable. Donā€™t listen to her, if she spent some time in your shoes she would understand

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Can I talk about my aunt in law here too? I've mentioned her elsewhere but have never been keen on the woman. She went through a traumatic experience years ago which she should have got help for but never did and since then has been bitter and miserable (misery loves company), as well as crazy (she says she can't listen to music/allow herself to be happy so doesn't want hers to have music on in her presence)...

Here's a run-down on my dislike for her:
- when we got engaged and went to see my fiance's family, she never said a word about it, meanwhile everyone else did. No congratulations or anything.
- My husband never hears from her yet she asked to borrow a huge sum of money this year (around 30k) for a new flat she needed due to a "dispute" with a neighbour. Well, upon doing some digging apparently the dispute was resolved so why did she need the money? She also makes claims about her neighbour that are utterly crazy, I can't say them as they are so absurd it would out me. Haha.
- My husband's dad died and he and his siblings did not hear from the aunt. Only on the day of the funeral did she say something...because she had to.
- She then had the nerve to cry and ask MIL why my husband was cold with her (cause she never reached out to him when his dad died).

She is just a horrible, toxic, manipulative woman. I removed her from my social media. She re-added me on IG and I accidentally accepted it. Well, after the whole "woe is me" acting upset about my husband being "cold" due to her not reaching out to him after the death of his dad, I deleted her again. I honestly have no time for people like her. This weekend I got a request from her AGAIN... I have just left it sitting there. I do not want her on my accounts. I feel she does not deserve to see my images, etc. Unfortunately, Instagram doesn't have a "limit profile" feature like FB. I know that probably seems petty but I despise the woman. In most situations, I would block the person but I feel that blocking her would cause more issues? lol.

That is one thing that bothers me about social media, is that someone because they are family feeling that they have the right to follow you. They do not.

Reactions: 7
Completely understandable. Donā€™t listen to her, if she spent some time in your shoes she would understand
thank you ā¤ My husband actually admitted today that his heart sinks whenever she calls him because shes so overbearing. Iā€™d hate for my children to think that about me.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Peaches howā€™s your situation with the MIL? Is everything sorted now šŸ™ŒšŸ¼šŸ™ŒšŸ¼

Peaches howā€™s your situation with the MIL? Is everything sorted now šŸ™ŒšŸ¼šŸ™ŒšŸ¼
Hey! She went home about 2 weeks ago and I have a new mattress and my room back šŸ˜Š
Sheā€™s quite unwell atm and in hospital but everything is finally in place at hers so when discharged there will be no issues with her going home x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Hey! She went home about 2 weeks ago and I have a new mattress and my room back šŸ˜Š
Sheā€™s quite unwell atm and in hospital but everything is finally in place at hers so when discharged there will be no issues with her going home x
Aww, I hope sheā€™s alright x

Iā€™m glad you have your room back ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Omg sounds so similar to my experience!!! What the hell is wrong with these women??
I was one of those women on this thread that wanted the MIL to be interested in the pregnancy but now she wants to be involved with baby its actually too much and i resent her for making my pregnancy so awful.

So glad you have your room back!!! šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°Happy days xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It seems almost all MIL (or mum of a partner) problems escalate in a two stage process. The first change happens when your relationship moves into the marriage phase (or moving in together longterm), followed by a deeper and more pronounced escalation once a baby comes along. Which seems to be the moment you find out what type of person your MIL really is deep down.

Those early months of a relationship they mostly stay dormant, waiting to reveal their true selves. It's crazy how they're the source of so many deep-rooted family problems.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Itā€™s crazy! My mum is the most ideal grandparent I could ever want and Iā€™m so grateful for that. My partner even hates all the things his own mum has done and said and he prefers how laid back my mums approach is. She doesnā€™t hover round, she doesnā€™t grab the kids physically off my body for a cuddle, she actually lets us be parents and praises us on our parenting unlike my mil who has never done anything of the sort.

Reactions: 8
Itā€™s crazy! My mum is the most ideal grandparent I could ever want and Iā€™m so grateful for that. My partner even hates all the things his own mum has done and said and he prefers how laid back my mums approach is. She doesnā€™t hover round, she doesnā€™t grab the kids physically off my body for a cuddle, she actually lets us be parents and praises us on our parenting unlike my mil who has never done anything of the sort.
I could have written this myself! My own mum always says ā€œIā€™ll never ask to cuddle your baby. If you want me to have/hold him, then youā€™ll ask me toā€ - she also never asks to come and see us on a weekend as she says she understands thatā€™s our time as a family. Never gives advice unless asked etc, and is generally just incredibly happy when she has time with my son and wants for nothing! How can they be so different?!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I could have written this myself! My own mum always says ā€œIā€™ll never ask to cuddle your baby. If you want me to have/hold him, then youā€™ll ask me toā€ - she also never asks to come and see us on a weekend as she says she understands thatā€™s our time as a family. Never gives advice unless asked etc, and is generally just incredibly happy when she has time with my son and wants for nothing! How can they be so different?!
Wow my mum says literally the exact same. She knows the weekends are our family time as thatā€™s when my partner has his days off, sheā€™ll even say I donā€™t expect you to text me or whatever because she knows itā€™s our time together. Then Iā€™ve got my mil messaging me every day ā€˜hi xxā€™ šŸ™„ I donā€™t always have the time to message her back and then she bombards me with messages, messages my partner asking if Iā€™m okay because she hasnā€™t heard from me. Yesterday she asked what we were up to, I said just heading out to the shops with my mum and all I get back is ā€˜nice xā€™ followed by ā€˜cya Sunday xxā€™ she makes me feel like I have to feel to guilty about seeing my own family?!

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.